Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 25 Jul 2013 (Thursday) 06:35
Search threadPrev/next

Need your help on shooting in a hotel room.

sega62
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 25, 2013 06:35 |  #1

I was asked to shoot in a hotel room, its a friend of mine with two models to shoot some fetish pics, it does'nt have to be super professionel, but .....I want to make the best out of it.

So far I have only used my 5dmk2 with my canon 580exII primarily on my camera.
I did some nice shots in bars, but I want to use 2 flash, my 430exII and my 580 ex II.

question 1)
Better to shoot with pocket wizard for total freedom.
question 2)
Or should I only shoot with the 580 on camera and my 430 as a slave.
They will be 3 person sometimes in the same shots, dressed in latex.....

I am willing to rent some stuff, no problem!
The actual room is on the pic....

Thanks for your advice.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 25, 2013 10:34 |  #2

The most important factor is to get your gear ahead of time and practice a ton before you get to the room and models. Off camera lighting will dramatically improve your photo quality. The simplest approach is to get a light stand w flash mount, an umbrella, and an eTTL cord to use 1 single flash off camera. Put the light stand about 6 feet away from the subject and pointed straight at the models at an angle to camera position.

http://www.amazon.com …sr=8-2&keywords=ettl+cord (external link)

The next step up is 2 wireless triggers such as http://www.amazon.com …-1&keywords=ettl+wirele​ss (external link)

You would use the 580 with umbrella as the front main light and the 430 with a snoot as the side accent light and position it to just light up the side and back of the models.

Pocket Wizards are higher quality but 3x the price for the same function.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 25, 2013 18:22 |  #3

sspellman wrote in post #16152781 (external link)
The most important factor is to get your gear ahead of time and practice a ton before you get to the room and models. Off camera lighting will dramatically improve your photo quality. The simplest approach is to get a light stand w flash mount, an umbrella, and an eTTL cord to use 1 single flash off camera. Put the light stand about 6 feet away from the subject and pointed straight at the models at an angle to camera position.

http://www.amazon.com …sr=8-2&keywords=ettl+cord (external link)

The next step up is 2 wireless triggers such as http://www.amazon.com …-1&keywords=ettl+wirele​ss (external link)

You would use the 580 with umbrella as the front main light and the 430 with a snoot as the side accent light and position it to just light up the side and back of the models.

Pocket Wizards are higher quality but 3x the price for the same function.

Thanks, I will do exactly that and some experiments....
It will surely help me.....

windpig
Chopped liver
14,674 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 25, 2013 18:32 |  #4

Use one of the table lamps for ambient, then one speedlight for main and one for rim or fill.

see this thread
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1309738

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sega62
THREAD ­ STARTER
755 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jul 25, 2013 20:39 |  #5

windpig wrote in post #16154021 (external link)
Use one of the table lamps for ambient, then one speedlight for main and one for rim or fill.

see this thread
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1309738

Very nice, thanks!:cool:

teaco
881 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 30, 2013 06:59 |  #6

You may find the power of the lamps is too low when using strobes

facebook (external link)
blog (external link)
website (external link)

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 01, 2013 13:58 |  #7

Drag the shutter then ,if ambient is too low. Bt you will also have two color temps to deal with- tungsten and daylight. You could use a cto gel to balance them.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,993 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 11, 2013 22:34 |  #8

Speedlites, gelled if you want ambient contribution from the lamps in the room.
Relatively slow shutter speeds. Practice. All good advise.

If you go to www.intimateimagesbyda​vid.com (external link) (nudity on site NSFW) and check the galleries, Alex, Lisa and Annie were all shot in situation similar to yours. All with speedlites in umbrella type soft boxes.

Whatever lighting was used for the room shot is a good start.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,267 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 14, 2013 06:37 |  #9

the room shot could be off the hotel's website ;) just sayin

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

3,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need your help on shooting in a hotel room.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.