Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 26 Jul 2013 (Friday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Opinion on these photos? (2 portraits & 2 landscapes)

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 26, 2013 14:17 |  #1

Been experimenting with editing and trying to improve on taking portraits. Looking for C&C.

Are the framing on the portraits good? Is the editing too much? Do you like one more than the others or none at all?

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5467/9373104946_2cb59c914e_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2882/9373199400_95b26da159_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2840/9373218378_da28a5868e_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2854/9370445847_1b98af76c7_b.jpg

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
jothdu
40 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 26, 2013 15:41 |  #2

I really like the emotion of the second portrait; I think the look in his eyes, the grime on his face, and stubble all work well together. I'd like to see a much tighter crop though as the entire shirt/torso area is doing nothing for me and his body is leaning at an odd angle in comparison to his head. I think maybe his face should be just a tad lighter too, but I'm not sure. I don't think much more than 1/3rd of a stop as the darkness might be adding to the mood for me in a positive way.

My Site (external link)

Hyper_Vistas
58 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 26, 2013 22:41 |  #3

I can only comment on the landscapes since I'm not really a portrait shooter.

#1 I like the colour and warm feel, but I feel the foreground isn't interesting enough to match the nice background. Horizon could be straightened marginally counter-clockwise.

#2 I find the colours much more appealing here and the foreground interest is more interesting. The slow shutter speed has allowed you to capture some movement in the waves, which I like. What iso was this shot at because it's a little grainy in the clouds? I can also see some sensor dust spots that could be cloned out. I think the image could do with a high pass sharpen then mask out all areas except for the rocks.

Cheers, Tim.

fsbk366
96 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 29, 2013 12:48 |  #4

#1 looks flat and the crop is off. Bring the bottom up to half way through his forearm.

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 10, 2013 23:20 |  #5

jothdu wrote in post #16156302 (external link)
I really like the emotion of the second portrait; I think the look in his eyes, the grime on his face, and stubble all work well together. I'd like to see a much tighter crop though as the entire shirt/torso area is doing nothing for me and his body is leaning at an odd angle in comparison to his head. I think maybe his face should be just a tad lighter too, but I'm not sure. I don't think much more than 1/3rd of a stop as the darkness might be adding to the mood for me in a positive way.

Wasn't sure how tight of a crop or if I should have cropped off the top part of his hair, but is this better? and thanks

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5463/9481592771_091b412b15_c.jpg

Hyper_Vistas wrote in post #16157225 (external link)
I can only comment on the landscapes since I'm not really a portrait shooter.

#1 I like the colour and warm feel, but I feel the foreground isn't interesting enough to match the nice background. Horizon could be straightened marginally counter-clockwise.

#2 I find the colours much more appealing here and the foreground interest is more interesting. The slow shutter speed has allowed you to capture some movement in the waves, which I like. What iso was this shot at because it's a little grainy in the clouds? I can also see some sensor dust spots that could be cloned out. I think the image could do with a high pass sharpen then mask out all areas except for the rocks.

Cheers, Tim.

Do you mean to sharpen just the rocks? Wasn't sure what you meant by "mask out". Thanks!

fsbk366 wrote in post #16163736 (external link)
#1 looks flat and the crop is off. Bring the bottom up to half way through his forearm.

Is this better? and thanks for the feedback

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7404/9484388886_58750257fe_c.jpg

Cheers,
Nora

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 10, 2013 23:57 |  #6

Watch the following video to learn dodging and burning. It's the technique to enhance the shadows and highlights to sculpture the face. this way lighting won't look flat.

click me> Dodging and Burning (external link)

it's one of the best i found on youtube.

here, since your image editing is ok, i tried it. dodging and burning was done. notice how the contour on his face is improved?

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5523/9481845993_7382b0635e_b.jpg

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 13, 2013 19:16 |  #7

vinmunoz wrote in post #16197769 (external link)
Watch the following video to learn dodging and burning. It's the technique to enhance the shadows and highlights to sculpture the face. this way lighting won't look flat.

click me> Dodging and Burning (external link)

it's one of the best i found on youtube.

here, since your image editing is ok, i tried it. dodging and burning was done. notice how the contour on his face is improved?

QUOTED IMAGE

Now I understand what you meant about it looking flat! Wow that looks so much better.Thanks for taking the time to do that edit. I think I might have processed it too much and took too much contrast out of the picture, but his face does look much better than the original un-processsed one actually because he hardly had any shadows on his face.

Cheers,
Nora

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 13, 2013 19:19 |  #8

Cool. Watch that dodging and burning video to learn it when you have time.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 13, 2013 22:44 |  #9

vinmunoz wrote in post #16205644 (external link)
Cool. Watch that dodging and burning video to learn it when you have time.

it's a great video, I just started practicing on other images while following the tutorial. Thanks!

Cheers,
Nora

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 13, 2013 22:49 |  #10

you're welcome. it feels great to help.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,975 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 13, 2013 22:57 |  #11

if you want in-dept skin retouching. this is what i do.

click this video > frequency separation (external link)

sponsored links

1,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
Opinion on these photos? (2 portraits & 2 landscapes)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.