Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 27 Jul 2013 (Saturday) 01:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Uninvited Competition... Anyone Relate?

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2013 01:34 |  #1

Warning - venting... Maybe some of you can relate though.

Was asked by a family member to shoot her wedding and I agreed (it would take the place of my gift). I'm not a wedding photographer - it takes a special breed to deal with that kind of organized chaos! We started around noon and went all the way through the nuptials at around 7pm. Everything went smooth, until we got to the reception hall.

One of the groom's uncles recently started a photography business and he got it into his head that he'd 'volunteer' to be the groom's official photographer (he didn't shoot anything before the reception). I was a little annoyed, but no biggy. If he needed work, I was willing to cut him some slack. That all changed when his step-son arrived with the video camera. The kid (probably in his early 20's) was getting in my way the entire night. The damn LED light he was using was also messing with my lighting (two remote flashes) and he walked in front of me blocking at least a dozen shots. I tapped him on the shoulder about five or six times and asked him to please stop walking in front of me. The little snot just kept doing it. Then the uncle starts trying to organize the reception photos... seriously; totally disregarding the nights schedule (group photos, cake photos, speeches, etc). That's when I saw HER; the real person behind this little coup. The wife/mother was pushing both of them to take over. She pushed the step-son to get in my way and was directing her husband every step.

The other annoying thing was the guy's equipment outmatched mine two to one $$$ wise, and I know that really doesn't matter, but it's damn hard to compete with a full-frame sensor & 1.2/f red ring when you're stuck at 2.8/f in a dark dance hall. The only thing going for me was that he didn't look like he knew how to use a flash (one camera mounted flash firing directly at subjects). But, I still had a little equipment envy.

Anyway, the family member (bride) was as pissed as I was. The groom was exhausted and like most guys in his shoes, was ready to get drunk by the time we got to the hall; so no help there. Tomorrow I will be delivering the photos and will get to see his work.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest. It's the first time I've ever had a photographer vs. photographer impromptu throwdown lol.

sponsored links
Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 27, 2013 02:06 |  #2

MaxxuM wrote in post #16157473 (external link)

Was asked by a family member to shoot her wedding and I agreed (it would take the place of my gift). I'm not a wedding photographer - it takes a special breed to deal with that kind of organized chaos! We started around noon and went all the way through the nuptials at around 7pm. Everything went smooth, until we got to the reception hall.

One of the groom's uncles recently started a photography business and he got it into his head that he'd 'volunteer' to be the groom's official photographer (he didn't shoot anything before the reception). I was a little annoyed, but no biggy. If he needed work, I was willing to cut him some slack. That all changed when his step-son arrived with the video camera. The kid (probably in his early 20's) was getting in my way the entire night. The damn LED light he was using was also messing with my lighting (two remote flashes) and he walked in front of me blocking at least a dozen shots. I tapped him on the shoulder about five or six times and asked him to please stop walking in front of me. The little snot just kept doing it. Then the uncle starts trying to organize the reception photos... seriously; totally disregarding the nights schedule (group photos, cake photos, speeches, etc). That's when I saw HER; the real person behind this little coup. The wife/mother was pushing both of them to take over. She pushed the step-son to get in my way and was directing her husband every step.

The other annoying thing was the guy's equipment outmatched mine two to one $$$ wise, and I know that really doesn't matter, but it's damn hard to compete with a full-frame sensor & 1.2/f red ring when you're stuck at 2.8/f in a dark dance hall. The only thing going for me was that he didn't look like he knew how to use a flash (one camera mounted flash firing directly at subjects). But, I still had a little equipment envy.

Anyway, the family member (bride) was as pissed as I was. The groom was exhausted and like most guys in his shoes, was ready to get drunk by the time we got to the hall; so no help there. Tomorrow I will be delivering the photos and will get to see his work.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest. It's the first time I've ever had a photographer vs. photographer impromptu throwdown lol.

You should have approached the MoB or the best man, a quiet word with the 'director' would have sorted it.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 27, 2013 02:26 |  #3

Phil V wrote in post #16157511 (external link)
You should have approached the MoB or the best man, a quiet word with the 'director' would have sorted it.

yep

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2013 02:38 |  #4

Phil V wrote in post #16157511 (external link)

MoB is my relative and complete hands off person, so no help there. Best man was grooms own father, so the photographer was his brother, so no help there either. I was on my own. This is one of the reasons I hate doing weddings, particularly if it's your own family - politics. Not to mention the 10 or so hours of working :)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 27, 2013 02:43 |  #5

MaxxuM wrote in post #16157534 (external link)
MoB is my relative and complete hands off person, so no help there. Best man was grooms own father, so the photographer was his brother, so no help there either. I was on my own. This is one of the reasons I hate doing weddings, particularly if it's your own family - politics. Not to mention the 10 or so hours of working :)

At least the bride isn't the groom's cousin... ;)

Did the shots turn out ok?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Iscariotau
516 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 27, 2013 03:24 |  #6

would love to hear about your results and his..

MyFlickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 27, 2013 03:52 |  #7

MaxxuM wrote in post #16157473 (external link)

You weren't paid and wedding photography is a helluva huge gift...far far beyond what everyone else gives (small appliances, even cash).

With that in mind, I'd say don't worry about it. You had no obligation to provide specific photos so there should really be no skin off your back.

If you are paid though, have a contract with a get out of jail free card clause in it saying you're not responsible for missed shots due to others' interference, etc and if you have to, do as posted above: mention it to the director, planner, and/or diplomatically tell the offender that her interference is costing the bride money.

EDIT: I'll even go so far as to say it's partially your fault for not carrying yourself and operating in a way that commands respect. I'll also say that if they really did get in your way a significant amount, you weren't moving around enough. I find that roving around gets you a lot of varied shots and as a result, no one can be in your way very much. Wherever they are, go somewhere else. Don't stand in one place and expect them to never enter your field of view. Heck even if they're deliberately placing themselves where you are, if you keep moving they won't be able to keep up. Take a shot, move. By the time they think they've spotted you, you're not there anymore. They can have a spot you're done using.

I've worked with a lot of photographers, videographers, and guests with better equipment and it's very rare for me to miss shots because I don't stay put. I might not get THE shot I wanted but I'll almost always get something just as good.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 27, 2013 04:03 |  #8

I hope you got photos of them doing their thing so you can shoe the B&G why you were sidelined.

These kind've people really do annoy me, this is an extreme case though. I make sure I go over this as a possible issue in the meeting I have shortly before the wedding. I explain some of the problems I've had in the past and I also tell them that if it occurs I will think nothing of asserting myself, in a pleasant way though.

The wedding I did yesterday in fact. The Mother of the bride with iphone (MOBWI) who was champagne affected started to get a bit disruptive, telling people what to do, where to place hands, how to smile etc and slowing things down massively. All I had to do was have a quick word to the bride who nipped it in the bud, problem sorted.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 27, 2013 07:18 |  #9

The videographers light makes a nice hairlight. Your equipment was fine by the way.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2013 16:04 |  #10

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16157540 (external link)
At least the bride isn't the groom's cousin... ;)
Did the shots turn out ok?

Iscariotau wrote in post #16157580 (external link)
would love to hear about your results and his..

They love how mine came out. Shot about 700 or so shots and whittled it down to around 200 of which half were used to create a photobook. Will see his shots sometime later today. I’m curious too.

cdifoto wrote in post #16157610 (external link)
You weren't paid and wedding photography is a helluva huge gift...far far beyond what everyone else gives (small appliances, even cash).

With that in mind, I'd say don't worry about it. You had no obligation to provide specific photos so there should really be no skin off your back.

If you are paid though, have a contract with a get out of jail free card clause in it saying you're not responsible for missed shots due to others' interference, etc and if you have to, do as posted above: mention it to the director, planner, and/or diplomatically tell the offender that her interference is costing the bride money.

EDIT: I'll even go so far as to say it's partially your fault for not carrying yourself and operating in a way that commands respect. I'll also say that if they really did get in your way a significant amount, you weren't moving around enough. I find that roving around gets you a lot of varied shots and as a result, no one can be in your way very much. Wherever they are, go somewhere else. Don't stand in one place and expect them to never enter your field of view. Heck even if they're deliberately placing themselves where you are, if you keep moving they won't be able to keep up. Take a shot, move. By the time they think they've spotted you, you're not there anymore. They can have a spot you're done using.

I've worked with a lot of photographers, videographers, and guests with better equipment and it's very rare for me to miss shots because I don't stay put. I might not get THE shot I wanted but I'll almost always get something just as good.

Yes, it was a big gift, but she’s family and they paid for most of the wedding themselves.

“... carrying yourself and operating in a way that commands respect.” As ex-U.S. Army special ops soldier, I’ve never heard that questioned of me. Most of the time strangers say that I intimidate them. Your advice sounds a little like military tactics... Shoot, duck, roll, shoot, duck, roll.... However, if your subject has a bright LED lamp in their faces, no amount of moving around will help.

I hear what you’re saying though. I got most of the shots, but there were more than a few with squinty eyes, halos, miscalculations by the flashes, but the worst ones were where he was asking people to look at him while I was doing the same. Half the people are looking in one direction and the other half, another.

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 27, 2013 17:18 as a reply to  @ MaxxuM's post |  #11

Meanwhile at another photography-r-us forum...

"Man I was asked to photograph my nieces wedding. My son who had a few videos on youtube with 1000s of Likes thought it would be cool to document his cousin's wedding too. It would be a gift.
I thought it was great since I have <insert awesome full-frame camera> and <insert awesome L lenses> and besides it would help with my portfolio.

Well everything was swell until this little snot with I think some sort of small sensor Rebel getting in our way. Didn't notice him much until he followed my son and us around. How annoying. I'd have a word with him if it weren't for my brother's daughter wedding. But I got some awesome shots because I took charge at some point and organized the composition. Sorry had to rant."

;)

Maybe this uncle was also "asked" to shoot the wedding?

If you are not paid, no contract, all bets are off. You're just another happy snapper in the family wedding. Move on.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 27, 2013 21:25 |  #12

delhi wrote in post #16158953 (external link)
Maybe this uncle was also "asked" to shoot the wedding?

If you are not paid, no contract, all bets are off. You're just another happy snapper in the family wedding. Move on.

I think when the bride asks, that pretty much trumps everyone. Especially after I did the invitations, portraits, pre-wedding, & wedding photos. And like I said, I never had a problem with them until they actively began trying to sabotage my work.

But, now you got me thinking. There's a chance that the father/step-son/wife didn't know that I was the "official" photographer. Perhaps they didn't go to the church for the wedding. True or not, it's still damn rude and may be part of the reason he closed his previous business to begin this new one. I guess you just had to see it happening to appreciate the blatancy of it.

Christopherm
313 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 28, 2013 02:33 |  #13

MaxxuM wrote in post #16159430 (external link)
I think when the bride asks, that pretty much trumps everyone. .

^This.

Gear: A lot more than I deserve and a lot less than I want!

pixelbasher
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 28, 2013 02:38 |  #14

should have just bought a toaster!

50D. 7D. 24-105L. 100-400L. 135L. 50 1.8 Sigma 8-16
flickr

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 28, 2013 03:47 |  #15

MaxxuM wrote in post #16158814 (external link)
They love how mine came out. Shot about 700 or so shots and whittled it down to around 200 of which half were used to create a photobook. Will see his shots sometime later today. I’m curious too.

Yes, it was a big gift, but she’s family and they paid for most of the wedding themselves.

“... carrying yourself and operating in a way that commands respect.” As ex-U.S. Army special ops soldier, I’ve never heard that questioned of me. Most of the time strangers say that I intimidate them. Your advice sounds a little like military tactics... Shoot, duck, roll, shoot, duck, roll.... However, if your subject has a bright LED lamp in their faces, no amount of moving around will help.

I hear what you’re saying though. I got most of the shots, but there were more than a few with squinty eyes, halos, miscalculations by the flashes, but the worst ones were where he was asking people to look at him while I was doing the same. Half the people are looking in one direction and the other half, another.

Hah too funny. It's not far off. I do feel a bit SEAL Team 6ish at times. :P

I'm only 5'1 and never served in the military so it's not really even about intimidation. It's more a case of "here to do a job and it's dead obvious to everyone around." If you're not there professionally it's almost like they're dogs and smell your fear.

I mean, you'll always have people getting in your way. Generally though it's unintentional and they'll move if asked nicely, or they just pop up in front without realizing you where there because you're pretty good at not being seen.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

4,993 views & 0 likes for this thread
Uninvited Competition... Anyone Relate?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.