Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Jul 2013 (Saturday) 22:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Petzval Lens Kickstarter.

Rashkh
286 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 27, 2013 22:01 |  #1

Pretty cool looking lens. Not my cup of tea, but I figured someone might be interested.

http://www.kickstarter​.com …phy-petzval-portrait-lens (external link)

sponsored links
-AP-
Goldmember
2,293 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 27, 2013 22:09 |  #2

Interesting indeed… Good share..

WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | Canon 5d3 | SX50 HS | 7D2 |70-200L | 24-70L | 50mm f1.4 | YN-622c | Bunch of lights, a few more lenses and lots of other stuff..

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,913 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 28, 2013 00:23 |  #3

I think I'd rather spend the $500 on literally anything else.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

hawkan
73 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 28, 2013 02:17 |  #4

You can have swirly bokeh in a fast lens a lot cheaper by picking up a Helios 44 on eBay. My 44M-6 is very sharp in the center and works perfectly as a portrait lens on APS-C (haven't tested it on 35mm yet).

Interesting project though. It's quite entertaining to see so many users buy expensive lenses for their DSLRs and then add imperfections in post just to make it come across as more genuine. :-)

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 28, 2013 07:23 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

The bokeh bothers my eyes. Although it's a great idea, I wouldn't want to see pictures from a lens like that.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 28, 2013 17:10 as a reply to  @ goldboughtrue's post |  #6

Hmm not so sure about that. Bokeh seems a bit eye jarring, etc.

ElectronGuru
427 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 28, 2013 23:31 |  #7

hawkan wrote in post #16159937 (external link)
It's quite entertaining to see so many users buy expensive lenses for their DSLRs and then add imperfections in post just to make it come across as more genuine. :-)

+!

All the more so within the context of thread after thread fighting for the title of what is essentially the cleanest image. But like in fashion, once you've reached any point, you need somewhere else to go. In terms of nostalgia, we've spent near 200 years trying to make the perfect representation, but having done so, each 'look' along the way captures the feeling of what was going on at the time. The evolution of technology, creating an intuitive map of where we have been.

Put another way, the photos of grandpa at the age of 10 are precious because because they are so rare and give us a feeling for a place and a time now impossible to go. A new image with the same look, borrows that same feeling. This lens is part art, part time machine. The question is, how much fun is it to keep going to the same place?

"Light is the paint, lenses are brush, sensors are the canvas"
6D | 100L Macro | 50L | 24L TSE
Builder of custom flashlights, OVEREADY.com (external link)

cepaw
133 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 29, 2013 06:29 |  #8

As a collector of original wet plate images and a modern case maker for a greatly growing market (the modern wet plate artist) I can appreatate this project. It's a great idea. I agree that we have spent 160 years making image quality better but there us something special about this lens. Not for everyone.

www.michaelrhodesphoto​graphy.com (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 13, 2014 19:58 |  #9

I love this lens... here is a photo with my 5D MKIII _ Petzval 85mm @ f/2.2

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3942/15344550528_69a952b551_b.jpg

I intend on using this lens on my Fuji X-T1 but will periodically be mounted on my Canon 5d MKIII

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Oct 15, 2014 13:34 |  #10

I'd love to see some side-to-side comparisons between it and a conventional 85mm lens.

Do love the project just for the fact that it's still possible to start a small lens manufacturing company and find support. It takes a lot of guts to do this... love it!

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 15, 2014 15:13 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Bokeh looks extremely nervous to me. I can do the shaped apertures with an exact-o knife and cereal box. Changing apertures by pulling it completely out of the lens and replacing it? I thought the aperture ring was old-fashioned. Not for me, thanks. Hipsters will buy it. It certainly is different.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 15, 2014 15:38 as a reply to  @ GeoKras1989's post |  #12

LMAO... hipsters....

I'm far form a hipster and i purchased it... not because i wanted to use it professionally or because i'ma hipster. i got it because i realized i have 1300 bucks in my paypal account that i forgot to withdraw and thought this lens was a cool little toy... so i got it... not to be overly used, but mainly to have fun with it......

photography is FUN!

-David T.

flickr (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Oct 15, 2014 15:48 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

dtufino wrote in post #17214699 (external link)
LMAO... hipsters....

I'm far form a hipster and i purchased it... not because i wanted to use it professionally or because i'ma hipster. i got it because i realized i have 1300 bucks in my paypal account that i forgot to withdraw and thought this lens was a cool little toy... so i got it... not to be overly used, but mainly to have fun with it......

photography is FUN!

Understood. That is why I buy all of my stuff. No offense meant by the hipster comment.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,493 posts
Gallery: 256 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 15, 2014 15:52 |  #14

It's an interesting lens, but a bit of a novelty. Oddly enough when I was on KEH the other day they had quite a few used ones for sale.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 15, 2014 17:25 |  #15

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17214738 (external link)
It's an interesting lens, but a bit of a novelty. Oddly enough when I was on KEH the other day they had quite a few used ones for sale.

I'll snap some "fun" shots with it this weekend.... i'll mainly be using it on my Fuji XT1 with an adapter but again, will be for fun... since this lens only has center sharpness it is kinda limited... but this guys is having an amazing time with it on his Sony A7

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3944/15540167302_c4978442d2_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2950/15481602611_4d5927f17f_b.jpg

i'll post some test shots later!

-David T.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

11,009 views & 0 likes for this thread
Petzval Lens Kickstarter.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.