Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Jul 2013 (Wednesday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D won't start anymore...

this thread is locked
RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 31, 2013 13:56 |  #1

Yesterday my 6D was on the dinner table and my old cat peed in a box next to it and some pee went on the 6D (not that much though)... I cleaned it up and went to bed. Today it won't start off anymore by switching the on button. I guess cat pee is somehow acid so I'm afraid it's screwed. Had the 6D for two weeks only. Will Canon repair it (even if not taken under warranty)?

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

sponsored links
moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 31, 2013 14:05 |  #2

may be electrical short circuit by the liquid
remove the battery and let the body dry for a while
sure canon will repair it but i dont know if you had to pay or not

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,934 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jul 31, 2013 14:07 |  #3

Canon won't warranty any liquid damage at all, ocean water, fresh water, toilet water, etc.

Feline urine is some seriously nasty stuff though, even if you could get it to work again, you would most likely smell it when it was warm out and you had the camera close to you.

I would have pulled the batteries out as soon as it happened to stop any charge inside the camera. It might be too late. Try removing the battery and the watch battery (provided it is user replaceable), and set it aside for a while.

I think your cat needs your screen name... :(

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 31, 2013 14:17 |  #4

Thank you for the replies.

I will try that and if nothing happens bring it back to Canon. Hopefully getting it fixed will be cheaper than buying a brand new one... :(

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 31, 2013 14:19 |  #5

Oh man, that sucks. Why was your cat on the dinner table in the first place? :confused:

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 31, 2013 14:21 |  #6

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16170291 (external link)
Oh man, that sucks. Why was your cat on the dinner table in the first place? :confused:

He's 18 and starting to pee everywhere... Will have to think to put him to sleep :confused: well for now I know I will always let my gear in a room he can't access.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,934 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 31, 2013 14:28 |  #7

nottoosharp wrote in post #16170298 (external link)
He's 18 and starting to pee everywhere... Will have to think to put him to sleep :confused: well for now I know I will always let my gear in a room he can't access.

That's too bad, it's not fun to watch a pet get really old and start to degrade. :(

Tough decision too... Our kitty is still young but has a bad hip, I think it got kicked as a kitten before we picked her up at the pound, and then she fell from the 2nd floor railing onto a hard floor at our house a year or 2 ago, exasperating the situation. I doubt she is going to have a long life, the hip seems to bother her more and more the older she gets. The day she stops getting around on her own is the day she will probably go to the vet, but until then, she is the queen of the house. <sigh>

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 31, 2013 17:16 |  #8

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16170291 (external link)

More to the point, why was the litter box on the dining room table?!?!?

(Note to self... don't go to nottoosharp's place for dinner!)

I don't believe Canon covers cat pee with their warranty. Need to get the camera in their hands as quickly as possible, though. If any got inside, cat pee is incredibly corrosive. A friend of mine had a bicycle hanging on a rack over a cat box in the garage, and it was rusted and ruined just by the fumes in a suprisingly short time.

Washing it off, you might have prevented any corrosion, but gotten things damp inside with water and shorted something out. If it's not too wet, that might be repairable.

If the camera isn't repairable... Did you buy it with a credit card? Some of them warrant against damage (though it's hard to say if they cover "acts of cats"). Also, homeowners insurance sometimes covers accidental damage.

Tough decision too... Our kitty is still young but has a bad hip, I think it got kicked as a kitten before we picked her up at the pound, and then she fell from the 2nd floor railing onto a hard floor at our house a year or 2 ago, exasperating the situation. I doubt she is going to have a long life, the hip seems to bother her more and more the older she gets. The day she stops getting around on her own is the day she will probably go to the vet, but until then, she is the queen of the house.

Teamspeed,

Another friend has a "special needs" cat.... totally deaf (not uncommon with pure white, blue eyed cats unfortunately). Anyway, she also has a bad hip and when she was younger aggravated it sometimes with too much play or jumping off something too high. As she got older, her hip obviously was bothering her more and she was less and less active, started to have a weight problem that just made matters worse. It was reaching a point where my friend was afraid she was in discomfort most of the time, tried everything from food supplements to a veternary chiropractor. Until another vet finally hit upon some regular injections, two or three times a month, that help her immensely. When it's been a couple weeks since the last one, she starts to acts old and tired and lazy again, sometimes limps. Shortly after getting an injection she acts like a kitten again, running around and playing, and she's all good for about 10 days. I will try to find out what the injections are and send you PM.

This is my friend's cat Missy...

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3365/5734846250_3fb569d01d_b.jpg

Missy is fastidious (plus a bit of a picky eater... and totally spoiled!). In fact, once when my friend let her cat box go for two or three days without cleaning, Missy scooped all the "deposits" out herself and left them in a neat little pile right next to the box! Being totally deaf from birth, she has the most interesting vocalizations and doesn't realize how loud she is at times. But she does know a lot of hand signs, including a "shushing" finger to the lips. Perhaps also because of her deafness, she's very sensitive to visual movement and vibrations.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

milleniumking
339 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 31, 2013 17:17 |  #9

that sucks dude! My cat nips at my camera strap when I am not around. little buggar.....

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,934 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 31, 2013 17:34 |  #10

Good to know about the injections, she still runs around alot, there are just times where she lays strangely on the floor and writhes around as if she is in pain or having some sort of fit, but no noise.

I don't think the litter box was on the table. I think the cat was on the table, got into a packing box or product box and decided that was close enough to being a litter box. We don't let our cats on the tables, it is enough just have cat fur everywhere despite the groomings and vacuum cleaner with a pet fur nozzle. She isn't used to the vacuum yet though, I figure about another 19 times and she will be okay with it. :lol:

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 31, 2013 22:53 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #11

I've got 5 cats and feel your pain. Although the worst thing one of mine has ever peed on is an Xbox controller. Ate some of the copper off the board in it. Which given the amount of ammonia in cat pee wasn't a surprise to me.

Get some insurance so next time you'll be covered not only by what you might do, but what your cat might do.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 01, 2013 02:09 |  #12

nottoosharp wrote in post #16170298 (external link)

Mine started to do that shortly before passing. It was about 1 week from her starting to pee everywhere, we were going to have her put to sleep, but didn't get the chance.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 01, 2013 03:02 |  #13

Thanks for the concerns and advices guys ;) today the camera is not working better, will have to wait till tomorrow to bring it back to the shop (swiss national day today, everything's closed).

Indeed, that was a product box on the table, not the litter box. We have four cats, and off course try not to have them on any table, but we aren't always home... Really he could've peed on pretty much any other thing I wouldn't have been that bothered (iPhones, iPads, remote controls, etc), well to look at the bright side, at least he peed on the 6D and not on the more expensive 5D3 or macbook pro...

scottda
462 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 01, 2013 10:28 |  #14

amfoto1 wrote in post #16170769 (external link)
More to the point, why was the litter box on the dining room table?!?!?

(Note to self... don't go to nottoosharp's place for dinner!)

That was my first thought, too. Glad to see that wasn't the case with the litter box. But, have to agree that when a pet's time comes it's the best thing for everyone, hard as that may be. Been there.

On a similar note my wife and I have an agreement than when either one of us starts peeing randomly about the house we get the gift of a one way ticket to Zurich.

flickr (external link)
Panasonic Lumix GX8 | Panasonic Lumix LX100
AF: Lumix G 20 f1.7 | Lumix G Vario 7-14 f4 | Lumix G Vario 14-140 f3.5-5.6
MF: S-M-C Takumar 50 f1.4

RedCatPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Aug 02, 2013 02:54 |  #15

Just to end up this "story". I went back today to the shop where I bought the camera (big electronics shop), played it naive and said it just wouldn't switch on anymore. They asked me if there could've been water or something, I just said "no, not that I'm aware of, was just on a table", they checked if it could be the battery being defect, obviously wasn't, then just went to the stock and handed me a brand new camera. "Ok, here it is, have a nice day". Wow, just wow, so glad I bought it in some non photography specialized shop, obviously they had no clue so followed their rule "there is no apparent damage sign so must be defect => replace it".

sponsored links

6,617 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D won't start anymore...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.