Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 09:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's the best BOKEH for the buck?

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 07, 2013 15:36 |  #61

LostArk wrote in post #16189010 (external link)
Best bokeh under $500:
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 - has the smoothest, creamiest bokeh of any 50mm other than Leica Summilux / Noctilux, earning the Sigma the deserved nickname of "Sigmalux." This lens is high in the running for best bokeh period, regardless of price

Best bokeh under $1000
Canon 135L - really no contest here. It produces such unique and pleasing bokeh that it's one of the only lenses where I can look at a photo and know it was shot with the 135L.

Best bokeh under $2500
Canon 85L - if you want more bokeh than what the 85L can dish out, you have to step up to the 200mm f/2 ($6,000). www.howmuchblur.com (external link)

Finally - a complete and quality post not debating the definition of bokeh. Thank you! :)

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

sponsored links
kenwood33
Goldmember
2,597 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 07, 2013 15:38 |  #62

A lot of the old manual lens (50mm something) produces very nice bokeh and are generally under 100.

Gearlist

k-lo
Goldmember
1,316 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 07, 2013 18:02 |  #63

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16179363 (external link)
All these "bokeh" threads crack me up... Bokeh is completely subjective. What some people find appealing, others might not.

I can't stand Andy Warhol paintings, that doesn't make him a bad artist...

good point
btw grab any lens, open it up, zoom all the way out(if a zoom), frame it super tight then focus on a subject at MFD and get bokeh that's smooth enough that judging it is subjective.

-=Karlo=- 1D III, 5D Mark II, 17-40 4 L, 35 1.4 L 24-70 2.8 L, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.2 L II, 300mm f 2.8 L, 580EX II, and a crapload of Elinchrom Gear :cool:
View my flickr sets (external link)
Check out my Modelmayhem port (external link)
500px (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 07, 2013 19:12 |  #64

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16179363 (external link)
All these "bokeh" threads crack me up... Bokeh is completely subjective. What some people find appealing, others might not.

cracks me up too

the 50mm 1.8 bokeh ..... smooth as melted butter

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3833/9355388314_31a6c098c4_c.jpg

Rui ­ Peixoto
249 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 07, 2013 19:51 |  #65

that´s it. I ordered a 50/1.8.

I love my pancake but it´s a bit close to my 35 and it´s a bit slow sometimes. I´ll see how the nifty50 compares.

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 07, 2013 20:04 |  #66

k-lo wrote in post #16189402 (external link)
good point
btw grab any lens, open it up, zoom all the way out(if a zoom), frame it super tight then focus on a subject at MFD and get bokeh that's smooth enough that judging it is subjective.

This!

bberg wrote in post #16178200 (external link)
Agree with the poster above. The 135L is the best bokeh for the price in the Canon lineup.

It's funny because the 70-200 2.8 at 135mm has better bokeh than the 135L to me. :)

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 08, 2013 01:20 |  #67

Agree with the poster above. The 135L is the best bokeh for the price in the Canon lineup.

JM Photos wrote in post #16189633 (external link)
It's funny because the 70-200 2.8 at 135mm has better bokeh than the 135L to me. :)

I think you need to re-read what he/she said. That aside, I'd have to disagree. The 70-200 is a great lens although I'm not sure how you figure it can out-perform the 135L at 135mm wide open. It has an entire stop to it's advantage. Seems like a no-brainer but I had to point it out.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 08, 2013 01:39 |  #68

Aressem wrote in post #16190366 (external link)
I think you need to re-read what he/she said. That aside, I'd have to disagree. The 70-200 is a great lens although I'm not sure how you figure it can out-perform the 135L at 135mm wide open. It has an entire stop to it's advantage. Seems like a no-brainer but I had to point it out.

I think you need to re read my post because I simply said the bokeh was better at 135mm lol. I said nothing about it being able to "out perform the 135L"

I said the 70-200 at 135mm has better bokeh than the 135L and that's strictly opinion just like all other posts here.
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1108366

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 08, 2013 02:49 |  #69

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16188745 (external link)
...If the edges of circle of confusion are brighter than center - it's a bad bokeh. If the center is brighter than edges - it's good bokeh. If it's an oval, it'll give a swirling effect....

The terms "good" and "bad" are relative.
For this image a neutral or "good" bokeh would be far less interessting:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Soap-Bubble-Bokeh.jpg

Typical Meyer Trioplan 100mm f/2.8 (external link)image.

Canon photographers don´t realy know "good" bokeh lenses from Canon (exept probably the 135/2.8 Softfocus). They only talk about some images with (accidential) good bokeh - but the same lens will give normaly only more or less neutral bokeh.

Dependable "good" bokeh with smooth edges give the Sony 135mm STF lens, and with right use the Nikon Defocus Control lenses 135 and 105mm.
Here an example of "good" bokeh (external link) - apodization filtered:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Bokeh-Test.jpg

Here a small comparison between apodizated bokeh:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Good-Bokeh-.jpg

and more or less neutral bokeh with the same lens (Helios 44) wideopen:

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Unschärfe-Kringel-.jpg

and closed

IMAGE: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Kringel-Unschärfe-.jpg

Wideopen the bokeh looks fine, because the blur is bigger - but it is not "good" bokeh, only much blur/bokeh.

Same with defocus control lenses which use spherical abberation correction to get smooth bokeh (external link)- but only in foreground or background.

Canon has patented a apodization lens (external link), I hope they make this as a product.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 08, 2013 07:22 |  #70

ZoneV wrote in post #16190501 (external link)
Canon photographers don´t realy know "good" bokeh lenses from Canon (exept probably the 135/2.8 Softfocus). They only talk about some images with (accidential) good bokeh - but the same lens will give normaly only more or less neutral bokeh.

Excellent points and good suggestion on the language. Perhaps we should be discussing blur aesthetics in terms of 'bright edge bokeh', 'neutral bokeh' and 'faded edge bokeh'. That takes the value judgement of 'good' vs. 'bad' out of the discussion.

You can see it within this thread. People cite the Canon 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 lenses as lenses with 'good' bokeh. These are actually lenses that make 'bright edge bokeh' but they can overcome the appearance some times simply because they can make very blurred backgrounds owing to their large maximum apertures.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Aug 08, 2013 11:50 |  #71

ZoneV wrote in post #16190501 (external link)
For this image a neutral or "good" bokeh would be far less interessting:

Wideopen the bokeh looks fine, because the blur is bigger - but it is not "good" bokeh, only much blur/bokeh.

Same with defocus control lenses which use spherical abberation correction to get smooth bokeh (external link)- but only in foreground or background.

Canon has patented a apodization lens (external link), I hope they make this as a product.

I'm not sure why you're replying to my post, because you're not rebuking any of the points I made.

I never said bad bokeh can't be used with good results or that bad bokeh can't make a pleasing image.

As for good and bad, it's not subjective. If there's more light in the center - good. More light at the edges - bad.

If you take a salad bowl right side up, it can hold water. If you invert it, it can't hold water. It's a very objective test to see which way the bowl is up.

If you think it's subjective, try pouring water on an inverted bowl with your friends. If one of your friends gets the water to stay in an inverted bowl, then it's subjective. ;)

I'm also not sure what a "canon photographer" is, but I'm not it.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,797 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 08, 2013 12:50 |  #72

Aressem wrote in post #16189068 (external link)
Finally - a complete and quality post not debating the definition of bokeh. Thank you! :)

Only because the OP didn't inquire about getting the 'most blur', but inferred using the term correctly in asking for the most pleasing bokeh. :D

Zone5 wrote:
For this image a neutral or "good" bokeh would be far less interesting

^
Zone5's first photo in Post 69 is a great example of what someone might find to be 'bad' bokeh, but which greatly adds to the impact of the shot in this case...'bad' really is 'good' here.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 08, 2013 13:51 |  #73

What lens should I buy that will give me the most bokeh and best perspective for portraits of my wife? I hear primes are best for this since they become 1.6x longer on my crop camera. I want that blurry backgorund look so I can start shooting weddings too. Already have two booked for this year. Please, don't recommend a flash... I am strictly a natural light photographer.

.......:lol:

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 08, 2013 14:30 |  #74

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16191443 (external link)
I'm not sure why you're replying to my post, because you're not rebuking any of the points I made.

Sorry, I took your post only because of the good and bad. Should be no offense - I am no native speaker so probably my post sounds too offensive, sorry.

I think "bad" bokeh with bright edges is very often bad - but for sure it is not every time bad. My favorite lens has exactly this, and I love it to make bokeh images.
Furthermore the bad background bokeh results most times in a very smooth foreground bokeh.

This is the reason why I often describe it as pronounced, or edge boosted. But "bright edge bokeh" is probably even better.

Bokeh is one part of many images - and sometimes "bad" bokeh with bright edges is much better than normal or soft edge bokeh. And the "good" soft edge bokeh from an apodization lens is sometimes too uncommon. A neutral bokeh would be better.

It is a kind of sad that probably 95% of western photographers only know these more or less neutral bokeh lenses. Only very few people know the Sony STF or the real function of the Defocus Nikkor lenses.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,938 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 08, 2013 14:43 |  #75

I think you two have more in common in how you think of Bokeh than most in the thread, so the possible offense is a bit ironic. :) I'd say we are fellow appreciators and be happy! :) You've both posted some of the most understandable aspects of the discussion.

Great post ZoneV! Love that first example.. I hope this drives home a point to many of the readers. A picture is worth a thousand words!!!!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

20,035 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's the best BOKEH for the buck?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.