Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 11:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 - 1DX focus speed

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,164 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 06, 2013 11:19 |  #31

I have found the 5D3 AF to be the best I have used to date.
From first hand use I can say it beats the 1D, 1D2 and 1D3 in AF,.

as for 1D4 or 1Dx, this I have no first hand knowledge, I've only had them in my hands for minutes, and thus could not compare like those I have owned fro years.

I feel like the majority of people that own both 1D4 and 5D3 seem to chose the 5D3, where as some do like the 1D4 AF better.

Everyone seems to feel the 1Dx beats the 5D3 (and logically so based on the extra processing power) but the degree seems to vary depending on who you hear it from.

I think it is safe to say though that the 5D3 is the 2nd best AF camera Canon have made to date.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Bones1974
162 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 06, 2013 12:10 |  #32

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16185694 (external link)
I think it is safe to say though that the 5D3 is the 2nd best AF camera Canon have made to date.

Agreed, and also it's very subjective from person to person, what they're shooting, how they set their cameras up and what lenses they use. From my experience it's 1DX, closely followed by 5D3, which is closely followed by 1D4 and then 7D trailing a little further back, but still good.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,804 posts
Gallery: 236 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 06, 2013 12:17 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #33

From Canon USA Learning Center:

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …/2012/1dx_guide​book.shtml (external link)

The only major AF-related difference between the two involves their metering systems. With the EOS-1D X, the new 100,000-pixel RGB metering system not only measures exposure, but can be used along with Automatic AF point selection to assist the AF system in following subjects around the AF area. This is Canon's Intelligent Tracking and Recognition system, EOS iTR. Backing up this sophisticated 100,000-pixel metering system is a separate, independent DIGIC 4 processor, dedicated strictly to metering tasks.

With the EOS 5D Mark III, a less-complex 63-zone metering system is used, and this is not linked to the AF system for helping with Automatic AF point selection. Both cameras have a separate processor dedicated to AF calculation tasks, such as AI Servo AF focus-tracking, in addition to the DIGIC 4 processor used by the EOS-1D X. Otherwise, the AF sensor is identical, and the AF optical system very similar. Aside from the ability to use EOS iTR, and its companion Face Detection technology that is also used with Automatic AF point selection, AF operation with the two cameras is essentially the same.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Klystron
Goldmember
2,957 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 06, 2013 12:28 |  #34

Bones1974 wrote in post #16185850 (external link)
Agreed, and also it's very subjective from person to person, what they're shooting, how they set their cameras up and what lenses they use. From my experience it's 1DX, closely followed by 5D3, which is closely followed by 1D4 and then 7D trailing a little further back, but still good.

Can I ask what you are shooting and in what AF mode on the 5d3 ?
As I think I have problems with mine.

Sony A9 ii, A9, A7R II, A5000, RX100 va
zenfolio (external link) - flickr (external link) - 500px (external link)

notastockpikr
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 06, 2013 12:50 |  #35

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16185636 (external link)
Didn't read his post did you?
He states 5 processors minimum, not 2.

Me, i have no idea :lol:

I sure did boss. :smile:

2 - DIGIC 5+'s, 1 - DIGIC 4 and two for this stuff.....

"Then these cameras have a processor designed to handle the normal sequence control of the camera, i.e. sensing buttons and dials, displaying info on the top display and in the viewfinder, computing exposure with data from the exposure metering and so on."

Which I understand is all done and processed by the three I mentioned above...is it not?

Anyway, I don't care anymore. All I know is it's a great camera!

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,288 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 06, 2013 14:02 as a reply to  @ notastockpikr's post |  #36

I agree, it doesn't matter - the 1DX is a very good camera regardless of how many CPUs it posesses. I haven't had mine for very long, but it clearly beats the 7D when it comes to focusing in low light. I intended to try it out in depth during a sports event I visited the last few weeks, but unfortunately got an eye injury, so I only took a few images with it. Then my fiance took some, but she doesn't really know how it works, so that doesn't say much. There are a few in this album (external link), but that doesn't say much, since there are many other images from the 1DX on the internet now.

But anyway, two Digic 5+ for image processing, memory card interface, rear LCD interface, live view AF and video processing. That's two.

Then we have the Digic 4, which is dedicated to handling information coming from the 100000 pixel exposure metering system. That's one more.

Add to that yet another dedicated processor to do AF computing, especially to handle the work required to measure and react to what happens between images when using Servo AF. That's another one.

On top of that, the 1DX probably has yet another processor (because that has been the architecture of the latest reincarnations of the 1D-series) to handle the normal sequence control in the camera, sensing buttons, releasing the shutter, moving the mirror and such stuff. Then we have one more processor here.

So adding these together gives five. But I haven't seen too detailed information from Canon about this, so I'm not 100% sure. Some cameras have had a dedicated communication handler for the camera/lens interface, and this camera has a processing-intense Gigabit Ethernet interface as well. Whether there's something controlling these parts that resembles a CPU (something that executes instructions from a memory is my definition here), I don't know. Could be just dedicated circuitry which just implements state machines, for example. You can do a lot with an FPGA today.

Anders

Bones1974
162 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 06, 2013 15:02 |  #37

Klystron wrote in post #16185898 (external link)
Can I ask what you are shooting and in what AF mode on the 5d3 ?
As I think I have problems with mine.

Normally birds like geese, ducks, swans, terns and Heron. I just use Case 1 (versatile) and single AF pt with expansion. I feel its definitely a little faster and more accurate than the 1D4 I sold, which I had no complaints about.

Klystron
Goldmember
2,957 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 06, 2013 16:10 |  #38

Bones1974 wrote in post #16186260 (external link)
Normally birds like geese, ducks, swans, terns and Heron. I just use Case 1 (versatile) and single AF pt with expansion. I feel its definitely a little faster and more accurate than the 1D4 I sold, which I had no complaints about.

Ok, different to what I'm trying to do. I'm doing Cycling, motor racing, Canon define this as case 3. Where you move from one subject to another and the AF should change. Tracking a moving target, seems to work.

Sony A9 ii, A9, A7R II, A5000, RX100 va
zenfolio (external link) - flickr (external link) - 500px (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,181 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 06, 2013 16:59 |  #39

From my understanding even if the 5dmkIII had the same AF as the 1dx the 1dx has a higher voltage battery to drive the servo's so will focus faster .
that should mean it will get more in focus shots, for most subject's you may not tell any diffrence but birder's should see more in focus shot's with the 1dx
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,288 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 06, 2013 17:27 as a reply to  @ GyRob's post |  #40

That has been determined to be valid for a few super telephotos only.

Anders

nellyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 07, 2013 01:35 |  #41

apersson850 wrote in post #16186568 (external link)
That has been determined to be valid for a few super telephotos only.

Do you know which ones?

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,181 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 07, 2013 02:19 |  #42

nellyle wrote in post #16187543 (external link)
Do you know which ones?

this is what chuck westfall says .
Rob.

Fast Autofocus plus Full-Time Manual Focus and AF Stop buttons, etc.: Professional sports photographers in particular will appreciate the fact that the IS II super-telephoto lenses are equipped with a totally new high-speed CPU and an optimized focusing algorithm that achieves maximum AF drive speed when these lenses are used with EOS-1D and 1Ds-series camera bodies. Full-time mechanical manual focus, Focus Preset and Focusing Distance Range switches as found in previous EF super-telephoto lenses are maintained, and the new lenses also feature a set of 4 AF stop buttons that can be programmed to achieve various functions including Spot AF and One-Shot/AI Servo AF mode switching via custom function control.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

nellyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 07, 2013 02:26 |  #43

Thanks, so for the big guns, the 1 series is faster is by the look of it.

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 07, 2013 08:30 |  #44

So how did folks shot before 1dx.:)

Not that I don't want to have 1dx. Though having more MPs at that cost would be more pleasing to me.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

nellyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 07, 2013 09:44 |  #45

I shall be using whatever I buy in Scotland for a week in Oct / Nov, weather sealing is worth a lot more than megapixies to me!

sponsored links

12,098 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 - 1DX focus speed
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.