Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sensor won't clean

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Aug 08, 2013 19:38 |  #1

I purchased the Copper Hill Sensor cleaning kit for my Canon 60D.

After 3 cleanings, the sensor has one little dark spot near the center and one dust looking glode in the right corner.

Despite 3 cleanings, those 2 spots haven't changed a bit (moved, smeared, improved or gotten worse).

I cleaned my view finder and those spots have to be on my sensor.

Should I continue cleaning the sensor, get the camera professionally cleaned or could something else be causing those 2 marks.

They are driving me nuts!

Thank you to all who respond.

sponsored links
Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,188 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 08, 2013 20:14 |  #2

Hi

Can I clarify something, are you sure this is sensor dust???

Just where are you seeing the "sensor" dust spots? Are they visible on the images when viewed on your PC monitor when edting them??? Or are you saying you saying you can see them through the viewfinder???

So to ask the obvious but sensor dust will only ever be seen when viewing the image files on the computer (NB yes you may sometimes see them if you look very very carefully when viewing the image on the rear LCD). If you can see them when looking through the viewfinder it/they are not sensor dust ~ not ever!

If you are indeed seeing it/them through the viewfinder there can be other places where tiny bits of crud may be stuck none of which are user cleanable such as the mirror, pentaprism(penta mirror assembly).

So can you be that bit more specific as to just how/where you are seeing the dust???

HTH :)

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,112 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 08, 2013 20:17 |  #3

best start by looking at shots rather than viewfinder for spots, as anything on the sensor won't be visable in the viewfinder (and anything on the viewfinder won't show up on your shots)

It's entirely possible (although rare) that the dust is under the filter over the sensor, so servicing is the only option in that case. Can you post a shot that clearly shows the problem?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2013 20:50 |  #4

I keep my old Digital Rebel XT to use when I don't want to expose my 7D to hazardous conditions like on a boat in the open ocean in dusty sitations etc. So I don't use it very much and it sit aroun unsed. After taking some pictures with it at year end, I discovered that some light colered shot had a lacy patern near the upper left corner.

This pattern can be seen on the sensor. I tried cleaning but didn't help. I took it to the Canon representative here in Sao Paulo. They inspected it on the spot. They said it was in fact fungus i.e. mildew that was between the UV filter layer and the sensor face.

It cannot be removed easily or cheaply. Removing the filter layer for claning is not worth the cost and risk fo my camera.

If this is the case for your 60D it may be worth the cost but it wont be cheap and there is a risk.

FYI I had a fungus problem with a lens a few years ago so I began storing them separately awith silica gel in sealed plastic bags.

After this new problem whith the Digital Rebel XT I now store my gear loose but inside a sealed palstic case with a dessicant that the Canon guy says is better than silica gel. e also said tha storing in ziplock type bags is not a good idea because the source of the fungus could be the bags..

JIM

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 09, 2013 01:16 as a reply to  @ Narwhal's post |  #5

^The spores must have transferred from the fungus/moldy lens, into the body.

Kel
Gear

s.l.k
143 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 09, 2013 02:42 |  #6

Clean the mirror and focusing screen

Feedback

Box ­ Brownie
Cream of the Crop
10,188 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 09, 2013 03:26 |  #7

s.l.k wrote in post #16193344 (external link)
Clean the mirror and focusing screen

Not recommended, especially as the mirror is front surface coated and more delicate than most folk appreciate ~ so any such user cleaning is very much "at your own risk"! Unless of course you meant 'use a bulb blower only...'

That was a great meal ~ you must have a good set of pans :p
Images for a photographic memory (external link) | Flickr (external link) | >>>My 500px<<< (external link)
credit line is vanity, payment is sanity

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 09, 2013 03:44 |  #8

viperbass wrote in post #16192679 (external link)

That is not the way to rule the viewfinder out. Take a couple of shots of a light-coloured wall at f/22 and examine the image for spots. It doesn't matter if it's a long exposure, in fact subject blur is good as it will blur away defects on the wall.

I had a particularly hard case where I could see the spots were actually pollen. This stuff sticks.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 09, 2013 03:57 |  #9

melcat wrote in post #16193409 (external link)
That is not the way to rule the viewfinder out. Take a couple of shots of a light-coloured wall at f/22 and examine the image for spots. It doesn't matter if it's a long exposure, in fact subject blur is good as it will blur away defects on the wall.

I had a particularly hard case where I could see the spots were actually pollen. This stuff sticks.

It helps if it is a long exposure - because then the camera can be twisted during the exposure to make sure you do get movement blur. The goal is to make sure that anything that is in focus is moving with the camera while the goal with f/22 is to have the light shine as perpendicular as possible to the sensor, to make sure that dust close to the sensor is captured as sharp as possible.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Nicholas ­ R.
455 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 09, 2013 06:07 |  #10

viperbass wrote in post #16192679 (external link)
I purchased the Copper Hill Sensor cleaning kit for my Canon 60D.

After 3 cleanings, the sensor has one little dark spot near the center and one dust looking glode in the right corner.

Despite 3 cleanings, those 2 spots haven't changed a bit (moved, smeared, improved or gotten worse).

Should I continue cleaning the sensor, get the camera professionally cleaned or could something else be causing those 2 marks.

They are driving me nuts!

Thank you to all who respond.

viperbass,

It would help to see a test shot of your sensor. But if it is only stuck-on dust or lubricant, you could try brooming the isolated spots with a little more pressure maybe once or twice. If that fails to budge them, then I'd send it in to Canon.

Nicholas

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 09, 2013 07:16 |  #11

1Tanker wrote in post #16193262 (external link)
^The spores must have transferred from the fungus/moldy lens, into the body.

I live in the tropics. High humidity and spores everywhere. It is in the air

JIM

sponsored links

1,872 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sensor won't clean
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.