Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 04:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

gary fong's lsc - good product, or just on ads?

Romax12
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 10, 2013 04:37 |  #1

hello everyone.
I'll buy my first flash the next week and ive seen amazing results from gary fong lightsphere collapsible, but they were all on his own channel.
Does anybody here use this product and can say if it worth spending 70$ on?

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

sponsored links
Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 10, 2013 05:05 |  #2

learn to bounce a normal flash or use a chunk of white craft foam :)

its a marketing joke with most pros :)

ChadDahlquist.com (external link) - photography site
HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

Podium
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 10, 2013 05:47 |  #3

I believe a simple search of "fong" on this very forum will give you more than enough answers to your question! :)

*the above said with absolutely no ill-intent to OP - just to underline the enormous consensus on the matter*

Wo sind die Tränen von gestern abend?
Wo ist der Schnee vom vergangenen Jahr?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 10, 2013 05:51 |  #4

They're great in confined areas where you need the light spread around more, but so is a Sto-fen or just some bubble wrap loosely placed over the flash head. They all become decreasingly effective the larger the space becomes...all the way up to the point of uselessness outdoors - even harmful as they cause the flash to work harder, overheat, and use excessive battery.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 10, 2013 05:54 |  #5

Chad D wrote in post #16196007 (external link)
learn to bounce a normal flash or use a chunk of white craft foam :)

its a marketing joke with most pros :)

To be fair, those don't solve the problem in the same way a Sto-fen or Lightsphere or bubble wrap does, at least not in small rooms like closets.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 10, 2013 06:21 |  #6

no they do not solve it the same way but they do solve it :)

IMHO a piece of white foam and bounce can solve the problem in a tight space those other things can also solve it ?

they will not act/look the same for sure ! but they can do the job :) also off camera flash is also a great option

we could go around in circles about light modifiers the OP asked I answered :) so did you now he has to play around and find his own way :)

HappyFish.com (external link) - post production services for professional photographers

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 10, 2013 07:07 |  #7

Chad D wrote in post #16196064 (external link)
no they do not solve it the same way but they do solve it :)

IMHO a piece of white foam and bounce can solve the problem in a tight space those other things can also solve it ?

they will not act/look the same for sure ! but they can do the job :) also off camera flash is also a great option

we could go around in circles about light modifiers the OP asked I answered :) so did you now he has to play around and find his own way :)

Well eventually you'll get to the point where you want a certain look to the image.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 10, 2013 08:36 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #8

here's some interesting reading

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1300417

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 10, 2013 09:11 |  #9

You don't need foam or bubble wrap or any other do it your self thingy.....just buy the Fong sphere. Cheap, compact and does what it is intended to do.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,347 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 10, 2013 10:12 |  #10

Principles of speedlight modifiers...they can do one or more of the following:

1. They can improve the apparent size of the 'light source' by directing light to adjacent walls and ceiling -- IF they area available and not strongly colored so as to taint the bounced light
  2. They can improve the apparent size of the actual light source by providing increase in AREA in a direct source, such as with softboxes
  3. They can improve the apparent size of the actual light source by providing apparent increase in AREA via indirect bounce, such as with foam reflector
  4. They can provide a forward aiming light source to create catchlights in the eyes, to alleviate raccoon eye shadows, and to alleviate underchin shadowing from overhead sources (including ceiling bounce)

• Fongs and Stofens usually do #1 indoors, but cannot ever do #1 outdoors (unless you're in a tent).
  • Fongs do a bit of #2 (but not enough to truly matter) , Stofens do none of #2
  • Fongs and Stofens do #4
  • Foam things and Dembs and Lumiquest 80/20 do #1, and #3, and #4 indoors -- but like Fongs and Stofens cannot do #1 when ceiling is absent or is brightly colored and do only #3 and #4 outdoors, and the light softness is dependent upon being close enough to the subject.
  • Foam things and Dembs and Lumiquest 80/20 do #3, and #4 outdoors -- but light softness is dependent upon being close enough to the subject.
  • Small softboxes do #2 and #4 indoors or out, but light softness is dependent upon being close enough to the subject.

So one can see there is no such thing as a 'universal modifier' that works no matter what. Foam things and Dembs are only somewhat adaptable to the circumstance, the Lumiquest 80/20 is more adaptable. But the best approach is to have more than one type of device and switch over or totally remove a modifier under some circumstances!

We have threads on POTN about the deceptive photos on Fong's web site which attribute benefits to using Fong products, when the reality is that camera settings were changed and some of the benefit effects seen have NOTHING to do with Fong's products at all! Photographic snake oil. Unfortunately the links provided in this thread have changed, so that the offending illustrations are no longer posted on Fong's web site, but they were valid at the original time of the post...
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=7587517&po​stcount=22

This past year one guy on POTN even claimed to be an associate/photographer of Fong's web photos, and that he could provide explanations for what was being challenged...he faded away without adequately addressing any of our challenges! https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15960365&po​stcount=54

Better spent money...

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15590850&po​stcount=64
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15550109&po​stcount=18

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Chad ­ D
224 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 10, 2013 15:22 |  #11

agree !

eventually you will get to the point when you want your work consistent ! and/or you find once you shoot long enough you realize gimmicks are just that :)

if you like the fong thing and I upset you ? sorry but its my opinion :) just like you think its great I think its junk :) no worries :) hahahahahahah

cdifoto wrote in post #16196101 (external link)
Well eventually you'll get to the point where you want a certain look to the image.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 10, 2013 21:25 |  #12

Chad D wrote in post #16196880 (external link)
agree !

eventually you will get to the point when you want your work consistent ! and/or you find once you shoot long enough you realize gimmicks are just that :)

if you like the fong thing and I upset you ? sorry but its my opinion :) just like you think its great I think its junk :) no worries :) hahahahahahah

You certainly didn't upset me, and I didn't say I like it or dislike it. I said it has its place just like Sto-fen, Lumiquest, foamie thingy, umbrella, softbox, etc do.

I don't use one myself but I used to and it definitely worked in the right conditions, it's just that the conditions are very specific like every other modifier.

mathogre
Goldmember
3,659 posts
Gallery: 112 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 10, 2013 23:03 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #13

You tell me. Here are photos I took with the Lightsphere Collapsible and the Powersnoot and grid. I love his gear. Does it do everything? No, but it's good.

Lightsphere:

Wedding, with tungsten gel and WB set to tungsten

IMAGE: http://grahamglover.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v73/p1309209014-4.jpg

At a fashion show
IMAGE: http://grahamglover.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v54/p266741224-4.jpg

Powersnoot:

Outdoor industrial fashion shoot
IMAGE: http://grahamglover.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v33/p544849031-4.jpg

Indoor studio shoot
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

sponsored links

1,976 views & 0 likes for this thread
gary fong's lsc - good product, or just on ads?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.