Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Aug 2013 (Monday) 09:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are compressed air cans OK for sensor cleaning?

Canon_Shoe
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 12, 2013 09:34 |  #1

I've seen people use them before to blow dust off of the sensor.....I just bought a couple of cans last night and it says "Never use on camera mirrors" I'm cleaning a sensor and not a mirror, but could it damage something? My only thought is that if you leave it open for too long, the air gets very cold and could damage the sensor, or is it just a bad idea all around?

Facebook-- http://www.facebook.co​m/AndrewShoemakerPhoto​graphy (external link)
Website----http://andrewshoemaker​photography.com/ (external link)
Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24, Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 VR, Nikon 70-200 VR II

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 12, 2013 09:43 |  #2

Canon_Shoe wrote in post #16200889 (external link)
I've seen people use them before to blow dust off of the sensor.....I just bought a couple of cans last night and it says "Never use on camera mirrors" I'm cleaning a sensor and not a mirror, but could it damage something?

"Compressed air" contains propellant (external link) that can leave its residue on sensors. It's not suitable for use on cameras.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,574 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 12, 2013 09:44 |  #3

Compressed air is not generally recommended. The sensor blower is generally recommend as the first approach. Quoting from Cambridge

Sensor Blower. This carries the least risk of harm because it never comes into direct contact with the sensor, but it's unfortunately also the least effective — especially if your dust adheres to the sensor's surface. This tool also has a high chance of just moving all of the dust around — potentially making the problem appear even worse. Only use blowers specifically designated for camera sensors; standard compressed air blowers may release a damaging coolant liquid.

For the full writeup on sensor cleaning go to http://www.cambridgein​colour.com …amera-sensor-cleaning.htm (external link)

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 12, 2013 10:08 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #4

In addition to what was mentioned, I would also worry that it can be too forceful.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

UKmitch86
318 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 12, 2013 10:14 as a reply to  @ Gregg.Siam's post |  #5

This guy's pretty clued up;

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=pesZUj78S6s (external link)

As with most things, know what you're using and reap the benefits.

A more subtle alternative is a Giottos rocket blower.

Canon 1Ds3 | 16-35/4 | 50/1.8 | 135/2
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/ukmitch86/ (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 12, 2013 10:27 |  #6

Canon_Shoe wrote in post #16200889 (external link)
I've seen people use them before to blow dust off of the sensor.....I just bought a couple of cans last night and it says "Never use on camera mirrors" I'm cleaning a sensor and not a mirror, but could it damage something? My only thought is that if you leave it open for too long, the air gets very cold and could damage the sensor, or is it just a bad idea all around?

DC Fan wrote in post #16200913 (external link)
"Compressed air" contains propellant (external link) that can leave its residue on sensors. It's not suitable for use on cameras.

There is actually NO AIR AT ALL in the cans of stuff like "Dust Off". What is in them is a solvent (typically something like difluoroethane) that evaporates fairly easily and acts as its own propellant. If any of that stuff gets into the camera as liquid droplets, it can do permanent damage to the mirror and plastic components.

I, too, recommend something like the Giotto's Rocket Blower. However, if there's dust floating in the air around your workspace, that dust will get sucked into the blower and then blown into your camera. The solution is to work in a dust-free environment.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

UKmitch86
318 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 12, 2013 10:30 |  #7

SkipD wrote in post #16201043 (external link)
There is actually NO AIR AT ALL in the cans of stuff like "Dust Off". What is in them is a solvent that evaporates fairly easily and acts as its own propellant. If any of that stuff gets into the camera as liquid droplets, it can do permanent damage to the mirror and plastic components.

The only way it comes out is if you spray the can upside down - keep it upright, give it a quick blast into open space before you fire it into the camera and use it in short bursts.

Watch the video in my other post.

Canon 1Ds3 | 16-35/4 | 50/1.8 | 135/2
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/ukmitch86/ (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 12, 2013 10:33 |  #8

UKmitch86 wrote in post #16201051 (external link)
The only way it comes out is if you spray the can upside down....

Not quite true. If one keeps the can upright and blasts for too long a time, droplets can come out with the stream of gas. That's because the can and contents cool while blowing and if there's not enough heat in the contents it won't fully convert to gas.

Skip Douglas

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 12, 2013 10:35 |  #9

It is extremely risky to use "canned air" inside a camera... not recommended. All it takes is one drop of the propellant to ruin a sensor or mirror and lead to an expensive repair.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

joema2
85 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 12, 2013 11:05 |  #10

SkipD wrote in post #16201043 (external link)
...I, too, recommend something like the Giotto's Rocket Blower. However, if there's dust floating in the air around your workspace, that dust will get sucked into the blower and then blown into your camera. The solution is to work in a dust-free environment.

The Rocket Blower has an internal intake filter and check valve. Air is filtered as it's drawn in the rear. When you squeeze it, the rear check valve closes and the filtered air is blown out the nozzle.

There is no check valve on the nozzle, so in theory some non-filtered air could be sucked in there, but due to the larger size and much lower restriction, most of the air is pulled in from the rear and is filtered.

If you're fanatical I suppose you could put your finger over the nozzle when releasing the body, which would insure that no unfiltered air (however tiny) is pulled in the nozzle. In actuality I don't think it's a problem.

The rocket blower is much safer than canned compressed "dust off" products.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 12, 2013 11:17 |  #11

joema2 wrote in post #16201160 (external link)
The Rocket Blower has an internal intake filter and check valve. Air is filtered as it's drawn in the rear. When you squeeze it, the rear check valve closes and the filtered air is blown out the nozzle.

There is no check valve on the nozzle, so in theory some non-filtered air could be sucked in there, but due to the larger size and much lower restriction, most of the air is pulled in from the rear and is filtered.

If you're fanatical I suppose you could put your finger over the nozzle when releasing the body, which would insure that no unfiltered air (however tiny) is pulled in the nozzle. In actuality I don't think it's a problem.

The rocket blower is much safer than canned compressed "dust off" products.

There is absolutely no filter in either my Rocket Blowers. At the rear is simply a rubber flap-type check valve.

In addition, the nozzle does not present much resistance to air entering the bulb when releasing pressure on the bulb. I have not measured the flow, but sound tells me that about as much air enters via the nozzle as through the check valve.

I've tried adding a small filter at the rear as an experiment, but unless you block off the nozzle when sucking air in, the air would take the path of least resistance and be sucked in through the nozzle, bypassing the filter.

Just for the record, my 39-year career (now retired) in industrial process control systems (all sorts of instrumentation) involved working on a LOT of air handling systems, some parts of which were as simple as the Rocket Blower.

Skip Douglas

steve75
535 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 12, 2013 11:27 |  #12

SkipD wrote in post #16201185 (external link)
There is absolutely no filter in either my Rocket Blowers. At the rear is simply a rubber flap-type check valve

You can get one of these hepajet rocket blower (external link) bit pricey for what it is but I might try one at some point.....

Current gear: EOS 7D w/ BG-E7
300mm f4L IS, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 85mm f1.8, 1.4x mkII tc, 430ex.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 12, 2013 11:33 |  #13

steve75 wrote in post #16201214 (external link)
You can get one of these hepajet rocket blower (external link) bit pricey for what it is but I might try one at some point.....

I like that. It's a very good idea and $25 surely isn't a barrier for most of us.

Skip Douglas

steve75
535 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 12, 2013 12:10 |  #14

In the uk they are £39.80 at amazon.... so about $60! US.... would you be as happy to pay $60? As you say, I think with the amount of money we pay on our gear its a small price, but still 60 is a lot for a rocket blower....

Current gear: EOS 7D w/ BG-E7
300mm f4L IS, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 85mm f1.8, 1.4x mkII tc, 430ex.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 12, 2013 12:24 |  #15

steve75 wrote in post #16201400 (external link)
In the uk they are £39.80 at amazon.... so about $60! US.... would you be as happy to pay $60? As you say, I think with the amount of money we pay on our gear its a small price, but still 60 is a lot for a rocket blower....

That is a bit pricey. Our price, directly from the manufacturer, is shown at about $25 US on their web site. I'm going to buy one.

In addition, I'm letting some of my old friends who still work for my former employer, working on super-fine optical systems (particle size analyzers), know about this because it could be just what they need to save time and get better results when cleaning the analyzers.

Skip Douglas

sponsored links

13,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are compressed air cans OK for sensor cleaning?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.