Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Aug 2013 (Monday) 16:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice: Team Collaboration using Lightroom

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 12, 2013 16:24 |  #1

I am looking for a few suggestions to improve my photography workflow when collaborating with other people.

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is a way to export a photography job as a separate catalog onto an external HD and have my assistant do some culling and minor editing and then re-import it into my main catalog and reconnect the files with the new settings in which I will then be able to update/sync all of the photos to the ones on my publishing services.
If I export a folder as a catalog and then re-import it, will it accomplish this?
Does anyone have a different method or any suggestions to improve my current workflow?

Thanks

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 12, 2013 16:54 |  #2

Sure, you can export as a catalog, your assistant opens the catalog, does whatever, then you re-open the catalog when your assistant is done.

The one alternative is to save editing metadata to a "sidecar" file, but as long as you have all the images as well as the catalog files on the external hard drive, well, then you just have to decide what works best for your workflow.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 12, 2013 18:20 |  #3

tonylong wrote in post #16202234 (external link)
Sure, you can export as a catalog, your assistant opens the catalog, does whatever, then you re-open the catalog when your assistant is done.

The one alternative is to save editing metadata to a "sidecar" file, but as long as you have all the images as well as the catalog files on the external hard drive, well, then you just have to decide what works best for your workflow.

Thanks.
Will I be able to re-import the images into my main catalog and have them reconnect to the original images?

LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 12, 2013 18:37 |  #4

ChadAndreo wrote in post #16202479 (external link)
Thanks.
Will I be able to re-import the images into my main catalog and have them reconnect to the original images?

You can perform an "File/Import from Another Catalog", and so yes, you should be able to use that to get things into your main catalog.

Something that will require some thought, though, is making sure that you are properly handling your image files and the resulting processes. For example, if you "keep" the images in your "main" catalog, and then try to re-import your assistant's catalog, well, who knows what will happen? So, when you do your initial Export to the catalog on the hard drive, you will likely want to remove the images from your "main" catalog so that you can cleanly re-import them!

When I say "remove the images", understand I mean to remove them from your catalog, not to delete them from the hard drive!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 13, 2013 14:25 |  #5

ChadAndreo wrote in post #16202146 (external link)
If I export a folder as a catalog and then re-import it, will it accomplish this?

I'm sure there's a way to do this. If you have Lynda, Chris Orwig has a video tutorial on how to do exactly what you're describing.

You'll probably want your assistant to just mark the rejects as rejected, not to actually delete them - that way, when you re-import, they'll be marked as rejected so that you can delete them.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 13, 2013 14:51 |  #6

tonylong wrote in post #16202505 (external link)
You can perform an "File/Import from Another Catalog", and so yes, you should be able to use that to get things into your main catalog.

Something that will require some thought, though, is making sure that you are properly handling your image files and the resulting processes. For example, if you "keep" the images in your "main" catalog, and then try to re-import your assistant's catalog, well, who knows what will happen? So, when you do your initial Export to the catalog on the hard drive, you will likely want to remove the images from your "main" catalog so that you can cleanly re-import them!

When I say "remove the images", understand I mean to remove them from your catalog, not to delete them from the hard drive!

You shouldn't have to do this, there is an option just to import metadata and settings for files already in the catalog.

Joel

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 13, 2013 17:53 |  #7

I agree with Joel. It is not necessary to remove the images from your master catalog. When you import the revised catalog its metadata will replace the earlier metadata.

What edition of LR? Up to LR4 if the assistant is going to do editing (Develop module) he will nneed access to the photo files. With LR5 this is not necessary - using Smart Previews it is possible to edit the S.P. without being connected to the original, so you could just give him the exported catalog and a copy of the Smart Previews folder.

Elie / אלי

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 13, 2013 17:58 |  #8

Thanks for the advice.
I am using LR5 and she is using LR4. I just tried to open the LR5 catalog in LR4 and LR4 is unable to open the catalog. I did not realize that LR catalogs were not backwards compatible.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a workaround?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 13, 2013 22:37 |  #9

ChadAndreo wrote in post #16205449 (external link)
Thanks for the advice.
I am using LR5 and she is using LR4. I just tried to open the LR5 catalog in LR4 and LR4 is unable to open the catalog. I did not realize that LR catalogs were not backwards compatible.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a workaround?

Hmm, interesting, but I don't have LR5 so can't offer anything there!

Was your install of LR5 an upgrade? If so do you have your "old" install of LR4?

Tony

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 26, 2013 16:32 |  #10

I still have LR4 on my cpu.

Another question
is there a way to sync photo mechanic metadata/xmp files?
Since we both have the same version of PM, I had her rate and organize the images in photo mechanic. IS there a way for her to send me the xmp files in which I could use to sync the photos on my cpu through PM?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 26, 2013 18:22 |  #11

ChadAndreo wrote in post #16242112 (external link)
I still have LR4 on my cpu.

Another question
is there a way to sync photo mechanic metadata/xmp files?
Since we both have the same version of PM, I had her rate and organize the images in photo mechanic. IS there a way for her to send me the xmp files in which I could use to sync the photos on my cpu through PM?

I'm not familiar with Photo Mechanic, but does it save xmp files in the same folder as the photos? If so, I'd imagine that what you are asking would be a pretty simple operation...

Tony

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 27, 2013 01:28 |  #12

I tried replacing the xmp files with the updated ones and it didnt work.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 27, 2013 03:39 |  #13

ChadAndreo wrote in post #16243270 (external link)
I tried replacing the xmp files with the updated ones and it didnt work.

Did you try reading them into Photo Mechanic or into Lightroom? I'm sure that Lightroom would not read xmp files from Photo Mechanic!

Tony

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 27, 2013 13:25 |  #14

Photo mechanics

sponsored links

3,702 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice: Team Collaboration using Lightroom
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.