Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)

Nanscombe
797 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 12, 2013 03:07 |  #661

But this would seem to mirror voting with a lot of current competition, on the telly for instance.

How many times is the entry, which is technically best, left floundering by a popular entry.

I know it sounds like I'm dissing Ian, I'm not .. honest, but its not the sort of competition which is going to earn you a nice bit of expensive kit rather an afternoon visit to the airport.

Do you ever post something that you wish you hadn't? :oops:

Good luck anyway Ian.

Nigel

sponsored links
Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 12, 2013 05:11 |  #662

Well, just had a heavy parcel turn up and my LOVELY girlfriend has bought me a Sigma 50-500. :eek:

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 12, 2013 05:27 |  #663

Radders wrote in post #16290268 (external link)
Well, just had a heavy parcel turn up and my LOVELY girlfriend has bought me a Sigma 50-500. :eek:

Awesome!!!!!

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

Gundogs
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2012
3,137 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 12, 2013 06:35 |  #664

wow what did you do to deserve that ;):D ?

Penelope Malby Photography (external link)
my Facebook page (external link) my Flickr (external link) my 500px (external link)

souporman
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2011
5,462 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 12, 2013 06:36 as a reply to  @ Martin Dixon's post |  #665

Nanscombe wrote in post #16290183 (external link)
How many times is the entry, which is technically best, left floundering by a popular entry.

Sounds like every vote I've ever heard of to be honest ;)

Ohh, nice. Congrats!!

http://www.evilkitchen​.ca (external link) (365 (external link)) .
500px (external link)
Twitter (external link)http://365.evilkitchen​.ca (external link)

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 12, 2013 07:01 |  #666

Blimey, how cool :) What a lovely lady. Must send my wife a link to this post ;)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 12, 2013 07:06 |  #667

Nanscombe wrote in post #16290183 (external link)
But this would seem to mirror voting with a lot of current competition, on the telly for instance.

I know it sounds like I'm dissing Ian, I'm not .. honest, but its not the sort of competition which is going to earn you a nice bit of expensive kit rather an afternoon visit to the airport.

Good luck anyway Ian.

I do agree with what you are saying as well. When I was a member of PBase the Photo of the Day was voted for in exactly the same way, friends of friends etc - also the most popular photos were voted for like that and it turned into a bit of a farce really. Bit like 500pix really (which Im not a member of so couldnt vote if I wanted to lol).

I guess its ok voting like that as a one-off but regular voting by friends of friends and who knows who, is not something I feel comfortable with really.

http://lindabuckell.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dragonwings55/ (external link)
Canon 7D Mk II and Canon 7D |40D |G12 | 350d (300D long gone)
400 F5.6L|70-200 F4L IS|24-105 F4L[COLOR=black] IS|18-55
Macro: 100mm F2.8L IS|100mm| F2.8 |60mm F2.8.

ies ­ photos
UKSE Photographer of the Year 2013
6,272 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 12, 2013 10:06 |  #668

Nice one Radders.

Comps wise I agree with all you say but in the words of Ice T, Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

www.iesphotography.co.​uk (external link)
London Maternity and Newborn Photographer (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 12, 2013 10:20 |  #669

ies photos wrote in post #16290753 (external link)
Nice one Radders.

Comps wise I agree with all you say but in the words of Ice T, Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

But what if the "playa" is in your face every day on a forum and Facebook for a week asking you to vote? I voted a bunch of times but I do think this has started to stretch the limit of "forum friendship".

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

ies ­ photos
UKSE Photographer of the Year 2013
6,272 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 12, 2013 10:24 |  #670

Jonathan wrote in post #16290780 (external link)
But what if the "playa" is in your face every day on a forum and Facebook for a week asking you to vote? I voted a bunch of times but I do think this has now been overplayed.

I would support then like I do on 500px. Don't worry no more requests from me in the future.
It's finished now so I shall take forum leave for a while let people post a bit more as it's been a bit slow.

www.iesphotography.co.​uk (external link)
London Maternity and Newborn Photographer (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

Nanscombe
797 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 12, 2013 10:40 |  #671

ies photos wrote in post #16290788 (external link)
... Don't worry no more requests from me in the future.

That was definitely NOT my intention. (I hope you are joking)  :o

I presume this competition was just run as a bit of fun after all, as I've said previously, its not as if there was a major prize on offer (although, I guess that depends how much you want to have a nose around :D ) so allowing multiple votes wouldn't really matter in this case.

If someone was offering a couple of thousand pounds worth of equipment then voting would probably be controlled more.

I'm afraid I must still be suffering from seeing Ann Widdecombe and John Sergeant being voted back into Strictly Come Dancing week after week whilst someone with a left and a right foot go home. :lol:

Nigel

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 12, 2013 12:31 |  #672

Martin Dixon wrote in post #16290283 (external link)
Awesome!!!!!

Thanks mate!

Gundogs wrote in post #16290346 (external link)
wow what did you do to deserve that ;):D ?

Well, I set my business up nearly 2 years ago and to do so I sold all my L lenses and some bits, so I've only had 50mm + 100mm primes for the last 2 years nearly... having borrowed and rented bit's inbetween.. finally business is growing, but the other half does the accounts and she bought me it...(we're in business together) I've been a bit down with a bad back for the last 6/7 months. Needless to say it's perked me up massively!! Although I still have a really bad back.

souporman wrote in post #16290347 (external link)
Ohh, nice. Congrats!!

Anke wrote in post #16290376 (external link)
Blimey, how cool :) What a lovely lady. Must send my wife a link to this post ;)

Cheers guys, Chris, do so :p

ies photos wrote in post #16290753 (external link)
Nice one Radders.

Thanks Ian, hope you won mate. I totally understand why you've wanted to win and pushed it a bit, a trip up in the tower is a once in a life time opportunity! :D

First (boring) photo with the 50-500 @ 500mm, it is the old APO EX (non-OS) version, but it's good, very good for the price she paid. So that's next years airshow season sorted! :)

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/9733508666_31383f9aca_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/radders84/97335​08666/  (external link)
MB9T9181 (external link) by Rainbow 1984 (external link), on Flickr

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

Nanscombe
797 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 12, 2013 13:14 |  #673

Radders wrote in post #16291080 (external link)
Thanks Ian, hope you won mate. I totally understand why you've wanted to win and pushed it a bit, a trip up in the tower is a once in a life time opportunity! :D

Nanscombe wrote in post #16290826 (external link)
(although, I guess that depends how much you want to have a nose around :D )

Aha, that actually sounds more interesting than winning more camera equipment.

Given how interesting the London Open House can be, where you get to see behind the scenes of places you wouldn't normally see, I'm starting to see what this actually would mean to an aircraft enthusiast.

Nigel

felt_tip_felon
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2010
9,042 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 12, 2013 14:02 as a reply to  @ Nanscombe's post |  #674

Great news on the lens Radders, you sound like you've thoroughly deserved it! :D

I feel like I've had no time for photos recently - I'm really hoping to rectify this in the coming weeks at Richmond Park once the rut gets going!

bit of a rollercoaster week for me, my cat is terribly ill and it doesn't look too optimistic, then in a complete contrast some brilliant news about my Mum-in-Law who has responded so well to her chemo and is remission :D (oh and I bought a new car - pick it up next week, cannot wait!!!)

not to aggravate the situation JD - but in the spirit of things, "if you don't ask you don't get" & "if you don't like it, don't do it", so since Ian's request didn't offend or inconvenience you (or anyone else) I think a slightly more reserved response is in order - you're a big boy so you should be able to manage your social affairs in a way that suits you.

sorry to hear you need to take a break Ian - your contributions to this forum are one of the facets that makes it what it is

500px (external link) Flickr (external link) twitter (external link) Gear list
1DX, 100D, G1X & G10
Join the SE POTN thread here!
"bitten by the deadly photography bug" (external link)

Gundogs
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2012
3,137 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 12, 2013 14:33 |  #675

Radders wrote in post #16291080 (external link)
Well, I set my business up nearly 2 years ago and to do so I sold all my L lenses and some bits, so I've only had 50mm + 100mm primes for the last 2 years nearly... having borrowed and rented bit's inbetween.. finally business is growing, but the other half does the accounts and she bought me it...(we're in business together) I've been a bit down with a bad back for the last 6/7 months. Needless to say it's perked me up massively!! Although I still have a really bad back.

First (boring) photo with the 50-500 @ 500mm, it is the old APO EX (non-OS) version, but it's good, very good for the price she paid. So that's next years airshow season sorted! :)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/radders84/97335​08666/  (external link)
MB9T9181 (external link) by Rainbow 1984 (external link), on Flickr

Sorry to hear you've still got a bad back, I sympathise a lot with that and would advise you go to Pilates classes - it's done me the world of good. The new lens looks great - bet you can't wait to get out there and use it!

Ian I hope you won, and please don't disappear - where will I get my plane fix ;):lol:

Penelope Malby Photography (external link)
my Facebook page (external link) my Flickr (external link) my 500px (external link)

sponsored links

656,147 views & 284 likes for this thread
The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.