Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 14:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D III metering

bpietrzak
91 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 15, 2013 14:55 |  #1

One of the areas that I look on improving, is
my

1. ability to walk upon a scence
  2. identify the lighting situation
  3. determine my metering approach
  4. and execute

can I get some suggestions to try/practice ?

I have read when outdoors, under certain circumstances--meter off the blue sky

find something grey(ish)

find something green

etc.

Brad
Canon 5D IV | 24-105 | 28-300 | 70-200 2.8 | 24 TS II

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,900 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 15, 2013 15:28 |  #2

You can attempt to learn what colors map to about 18% tonality

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_5310-1-1.jpg
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_5310greyscale.jpg

You can use surrogate targets, such as known that the average palm is about +1EV brighter than 18% grey

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 15, 2013 15:28 |  #3

Yeah, green grass often works quite well, or grey road surface, or the back of your hand. Not all will necessarily give the correct meter reading (and grey roads can be quite variable, grass too but less so) but get you close and if you know that the back of your hand (or typical grass) is half a stop below correct (for example) then you can just meter your hand and add half a stop for a pretty accurate result.

Obviously, make sure that your hand (or whatever) is in the same light as the subject you intend to shoot.

However you choose to meter, it is well worth taking a test shot and checking the histogram, that will give you a very good idea of how good your exposure is.

If light is consistent and not likely to change, you can set exposure in manual and just leave it alone, if lighting is variable then you may be better off with Av or Tv and let them vary exposure as the shot varies between shade and bright sun, using EC if needed.

windpig
Chopped liver
15,284 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 15, 2013 15:40 |  #4

Set your picture style to neutral, -4 contrast, zero the rest
check the histogram and blinkies
look for something white, spot meter, add +2 compensation

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 15, 2013 15:51 |  #5

There are different "schools of thought" for this stuff! Also, be aware that there are differences to how one might approach exposure/metering with a digital camera/sensor and how folks "traditionally" approached shooting with film, and even for different types of film (slide vs. print for example).

And then in the digital "world" we have the "normal" approach of shooting jpegs so that the exposure needs to be a "correct"/medium exposure whereas when shooting in the Raw format it can be beneficial to bump the exposure a bit "To The Right" and then "recover" highlight details in a Raw processor, or maybe try to use the "Raw advantage" to recover more shadow detail than would be possible with a jpeg so that you can keep from "blowing" important highlights!

But I do use little "conveniences" when shooting, since I do a lot of outdoors shooting (I'm not a studio photographer). For example, you mention using a blue sky to meter off of, and to me on a clear-sky day that has been helpful. I meter the blue sky and set my exposure to +1 EV (in manual) and that does a good job. I have my Picture Style set to Neutral with the Saturation and Contrast both dialed down to -4 so that I don't get misleading reads/alerts. With the sky exposed at +1 EV, highlights can be a bit bright, but shooting in Raw gives me a good ability to "tame" them!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,739 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 15, 2013 15:52 |  #6

windpig wrote in post #16211056 (external link)
Set your picture style to neutral, -4 contrast, zero the rest
check the histogram and blinkies
look for something white, spot meter, add +2 compensation

This is what I do. Well, minus the -4 contrast. :D If there is nothing white, I use a white persons face at +1. If there are no white people, I use my hand. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,284 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 15, 2013 15:59 |  #7

Oh, and also try and get a WB that is close, it has a huge effect on exposure when eyeing the histogram and blinkies.

Shane, the -4 contrast really gets that unbiased histogram down pat.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

750 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D III metering
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.