Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Aug 2013 (Friday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Balancing the ambient light with strobes

aliengin
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 16, 2013 12:05 |  #1

I am going to try shooting sunrise with a model, is there any trick to do this with manual strobes?

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,745 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 16, 2013 12:18 |  #2

Not really. Just get your ambient where you want it, then turn your strobes on and set them to whatever power output you need to illuminate the model, which would be to your taste. That would be the simplest approach but you will have to work fast.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 16, 2013 12:20 |  #3

Its pretty easy. Just use the camera to determine the ambient. You can use TV mode or AV mode as long you remember to keep the Shutter speed below max sync. If you cant get the aperture you want and the shutter speed below max sync then adjust the ISO. Once you have ambient where you like it, then just bring up the power of the lights to where you need them. Obviously its easier with a light meter but if you start with your light at 1/4 power for test shot you will see whether you need more or less power and adjust from there.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 16, 2013 12:37 |  #4

There is a post by Hawk911 somewhere on the forum where he did exactly what you are planning.
As stated, its just a matter of balancing the ambient and strobe light.

Remember that the light changes quickly at sunrise or sunset.

Probably worth doing some testing to get the exposure range nailed before going out for the shoot.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,745 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 16, 2013 12:49 |  #5

I do have a question about balancing since gonzo mentioned a light meter. Is balancing flash and ambient not suited more for midday light? I find I need the flash to be stronger than the ambient light for sunrise/set situations.

Image Editing OK

jcolman
Goldmember
2,638 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 16, 2013 12:56 |  #6

digital paradise wrote in post #16213562 (external link)
I do have a question about balancing since gonzo mentioned a light meter. Is balancing flash and ambient not suited more for midday light? I find I need the flash to be stronger than the ambient light for sunrise/set situations.

You don't really need too much power in sunrise/sunset conditions. These were all shot with my light around 1/4 or 1/2 power iirc.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …to/cancun/cancu​n-1528.jpg (external link)

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …to/cancun/cancu​n-1548.jpg (external link)

http://i182.photobucke​t.com …oto/cancun/canc​un-954.jpg (external link)

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

aliengin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 16, 2013 13:19 |  #7

jcolman wrote in post #16213580 (external link)
You don't really need too much power in sunrise/sunset conditions. These were all shot with my light around 1/4 or 1/2 power iirc.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s182.photobucke​t.com …ncun/cancun-1528.jpg.html  (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s182.photobucke​t.com …ncun/cancun-1548.jpg.html  (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s182.photobucke​t.com …ancun/cancun-954.jpg.html  (external link)

What did you use for light?

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,793 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 16, 2013 14:06 |  #8

aliengin wrote in post #16213441 (external link)
I am going to try shooting sunrise with a model, is there any trick to do this with manual strobes?

The 'trick' is merely to get Manual flash power same as ambient exposure.

• If you do it with a flash meter, it is easy.
  • If you do with the Guide Numbers, it is almost as easy (greatly complicated with zoom head adjustments), with a bit of trial and error.
  • If you do it with shoot and chimp, you try the patience of your subjects even if you do not mind wasting your own time, or worse...you miss the shot because the sun has moved past its optimum position.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,793 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 16, 2013 14:14 |  #9

Midday issue is "flash doesn't have enough power".

Sunny 16 says 1/ISO f/16 in bright sunlight. With ISO 200, 1/200 f/16
Ordinary (non-HSS) output from 580EX (assuming 50mm normal lens) is GN138...f/16 out to 8.6' equals sun's intensity, or about 12' at -1EV flash fill.

Putting on ND does nothing to alter balance of flash:sun. -2EV ND allows you to shoot at 1/200 f/8 + ND, flash still only reaches to 8.6' , or about 12' at -1EV flash fill!

Putting flash in HSS and upping shutter speed is no fix either...
1/400 f/11 on the lens for ambient, HSS flash loses about -2.66EV (or more) of intensity at 1/400 shutter speed. At f/11 on lens, the HSS flash reaches only to 4', or about 5.6' at -1EV flash fill

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 16, 2013 14:20 |  #10

No, the concept is still the same, you can underexpose the ambient if you wish for effect. In the middle of the day balance is easier because you dont have to use as much flash power to underexpose the ambient. In the morning/evening shots your power requirements are so much lower that is can be done with a speedlite instead of 1200ws of strobe. The flashmeter especially if you have a slightly advanced model like the L-358 gives you the balance ratio when you meter.

steve126a
125 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 16, 2013 14:44 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #11

jcolman - question for you on the photo with the couple kissing and the sun behind them: Did you spot meter on the sun first, then add flash/strobe to that?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EOS 6D | Canon 85mm ƒ/1.8 | Canon 100mm ƒ/2.8 Macro | Canon 24-70L ƒ/2.8 II | Canon 17-40L ƒ/4 | Canon 70-200LII ƒ/2.8 | Canon 135L ƒ/2| 2 Canon 580EX II's | Canon 430EX II

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,745 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 16, 2013 14:53 |  #12

Thanks everyone and nice shots Jim.

Image Editing OK

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 16, 2013 15:45 |  #13

dmward wrote in post #16213531 (external link)
Remember that the light changes quickly at sunrise or sunset.

+100 on this. It's remarkable how quickly the sun moves!

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 16, 2013 15:48 |  #14

Foodguy wrote in post #16213986 (external link)
+100 on this. It's remarkable how quickly the sun moves!

Exactly. At sunset start with your SS at max sync, you can always dial the SS down to allow more ambient in as it gets darker.

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 16, 2013 15:56 |  #15

Has anyone ever tried to white balance flash/strobe with sunset light? I'd be curious to see how our compares to something like Jim's images. I'll thinking it would require an amber-like colored filter.

sponsored links

9,109 views & 0 likes for this thread
Balancing the ambient light with strobes
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.