Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

few question on my 600ex-rt

Romax12
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 17, 2013 10:20 |  #1

hey everybody, I've just bought a new 600ex-rt and I have some questions:

1. Why can I only set 3 c.fn on my flash? I can only set feb and two other functions.
I can't even see what are the other functions..

2. when im on ettl I notice that the recycling time is really slow, and even on manual on 1/8 power I have to wait like 3 seconds between shots, so:
a. Will I see a difference if I will use recharable batteries? (im using GP ones)
b. Is there a way to prevent my camera from shooting when the flash is resting (i.e if im taking a series of 4 shots only 2 of them are with flash).

3. Kinda off topic but when im using flash I notice that each preset WB on my camera is either too cold or too warm, and AWB shifts like crazy, so can I make a costum white balance and apply it to each photo on camera? (something like 4600k +-).
I know there is a costum white balacne option but I didn't really understand it.

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,262 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 17, 2013 10:29 |  #2

1. You are not in the custom functions. Press and hold the CF button on the left for a few seconds.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,262 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 17, 2013 10:32 |  #3

2. You should consider rechargeable batteries. NiMH with a high mAH. Mine are 2500mAH. Many people have good things to say about Sanyo Eneloops.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,262 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 17, 2013 10:34 |  #4

2b. I just shut my flash off. You can tell your flash not to fire in the c.fn menus but that takes time.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,262 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 17, 2013 10:41 |  #5

I at one time knew how to do this but I don't it anymore so it slipped my memory. I try to read the light and set the WB to what I think it should be. Since I shoot in RAW I just fine tune WB during PP. Since I'm not editing thousands of photos every week it is not so bad. If I was then I would do something else.

If I have time I will use this. Easy to use and very consistent. You need LR for this.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …olorChecker_Pas​sport.html (external link)

Image Editing OK

Romax12
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 17, 2013 11:03 |  #6

digital paradise, thanks alot for your help!
I just measured my recylce times and it was about 20 seconds rest for 1/2 power!
after that there was a NO-BATTERY logo and I put the same brand batteries, only new ones, now 1/1 power recylces like 2 seconds!

I also shoot in raw and I know I can set a wb and then sync it too all of the shots but i like getting it in the camera...

as for the custom functions, I discovered that I need to use the flash alone, not with a yn attached or on camera, then I saw all of the c.fn aswell as the p.fn.

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,262 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 17, 2013 11:14 |  #7

No problem. Setting WB in camera saves time. I could go into my notes but someone will come by and help you out. It is easy without a flash and just as easy with but it has been a long while since I have done that. Have fun with your new flash. I really like my 600's.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,262 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 17, 2013 12:41 |  #8

Actually you should really consider the ColorChecker. I know it is not in camera but provides very accurate results.

Image Editing OK

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 17, 2013 13:14 |  #9

2b. No. You can set the flash to fire before its fully recharged, at least that way you get some benefit.

If the flash is not recycling in a very short time at 1/8 with 4 fresh alkaline batteries there is something wrong with the unit. Use a set of fresh alkys to test recycling time. Then confirm that your rechargeable batteries are providing similar results.

If white balance is changing wildly look around to see what may be contaminating the flash. Especially if you are bouncing.

One white balance option in the camera is K. Then you can select whatever K value you prefer. That is a good way to determine how the flash light compares to the ambient.

Since I shoot in raw I leave the WB in auto on the camera. That way the camera is attempting to find the best compromise between ambient and flash. That provides a good starting point in Lightroom since it shows the K value for the temp slider as well as the Green/Magenta tint.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,262 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 17, 2013 13:35 |  #10

If I'm indoors and incandescent I set K for about 3300, gel and fine tune later. Setting to 3300 makes it easier to chimp.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

724 views & 0 likes for this thread
few question on my 600ex-rt
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.