Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Aug 2013 (Sunday) 15:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1 battery vs 2 batteries vs 8 aa batteries in t3i

Romax12
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Aug 18, 2013 15:37 |  #1

Just a quick question: if ill buy a grip for my t3i, and them put 8 aa batteries with 250mah, shouldn't I get like 10x times battery life?
I mean, the power of the lp-e8 is something like 1000 mah.
So am i correct? Or does the mah doesn't matter?

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,740 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 18, 2013 15:50 |  #2

Not sure what kind of battery life you're after, but I have a 500D and use the standard internal battery and I can shoot for hours to the point where I'm about worn out, and not have to change the battery. Last model shoot I did we shot for about 4 hours, some 600 images and I never changed the battery.

I guess I just don't get this grip thing.

"Hey, I don't have to change the batteries for 27 hours straight!!"

Heck.....who cares....I run out of gas before my camera does. Maybe you guys just have more stamina than I do.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

_igi
262 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 18, 2013 16:14 |  #3

Nope, i've used that solution for a while with 5DII and 500D and it's fine, ultill the camera turns off because of lack of power.

It's quite strange as battery level indicator shows three bars, and all of the sudden none, then after a while they have full power.

I've used high capacity, good quality ones and simply bought ordinary canon ones. They may be expencive, but at least you know when your camera is out of juice. :-)

1DsIII x2 | 1DIV | TS-E17/4L | TS-E 24/3.5LII | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L | 135L | 28-70/2.8L | 100-400L

_igi
262 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 18, 2013 16:25 |  #4

saea501 wrote in post #16219052 (external link)
I guess I just don't get this grip thing.

"Hey, I don't have to change the batteries for 27 hours straight!!"

Heck.....who cares....I run out of gas before my camera does. Maybe you guys just have more stamina than I do.

It's not about how much photos you can take one day, but how often you need a charger. At least for me. I have 4 LP-E6 batteries, and one of them can power up my 6D for about four-five days of normal shooting, two days of shooting with GPS, one huge photoshoot (around 700-1000 photos) or around 1h of video. So basicly for me buying grip makes no sence, untill i will have large lenses. :-)

On the other hand, rebels tend to discharge much more quickly and you may sometimes need to swap another battery.

1DsIII x2 | 1DIV | TS-E17/4L | TS-E 24/3.5LII | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L | 135L | 28-70/2.8L | 100-400L

troehr
733 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 18, 2013 19:08 |  #5

Grips are nice if you do a lot of liveview focusing. Liveview eats batteries quickly. That 800 shot battery becomes a 100 shot battery. I can kill two batteries in a couple of hours shooting macros.

IdiotsAbound
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 18, 2013 20:05 |  #6

If I am doing product or other photography such as macro, I will use my grip since my camera is on the tripod for those shoots. If I am out and about, I will leave the grip in the bag or at home and carry a spare battery or two in my pocket.

It gets a bit tiring carrying around a camera that has a heavy grip and a heavy L lense after a while.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 18, 2013 21:40 |  #7

OP - simple answer is No

The AA batteries are stacked end to end - so it increases the voltage, but the MAH capacity stays the same.
I think the camera takes 6 AA cells, so with rechargeable AA batteries, you get 6x1.2v - 7.2v and 2500mah
With normal AA cells you get 9V and whatever mah capacity the alkalines are.

I found a set of AA in my 350d wouldn't last long at all, they were better used as a "get me home" solution, if I was out shooting and ran the lithium pack flat, I could swap in a set of AA and keep shooting till I went home and recharged the other batteries.

I preffered to use the rechargeable lithium ion pack that came with the camera first - after all the batteries came with the camera, cost a tiny amount to actually recharge, and last really well, and then keep the AA tray for emergencies (leave it in the camera bag with a memory card stuck to it - one day you will forget to charge your batteries, or forget your memory card)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

garciarf
317 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 18, 2013 21:52 |  #8

Romax12 wrote in post #16219010 (external link)
Just a quick question: if ill buy a grip for my t3i, and them put 8 aa batteries with 250mah, shouldn't I get like 10x times battery life?
I mean, the power of the lp-e8 is something like 1000 mah.
So am i correct? Or does the mah doesn't matter?

Nope.

You're connecting 8 batteries in series, therefore you're multiplying the voltage by 8 (so 1.2V x 8 = 9.6v. Does the grip use 8 batteries? My 7D and XT both use 6 batts (7.2V ->same as the Canon packs). The 1Ds takes an NiMH pack that is made with 10 AA's connected in series (multiplying the voltages, to result in a 12V pack of ~1600 mAh -which was the standard capacity of NiMH cells around the time).

The grip connects the 2 Lithium packs in parallel, resulting in the same voltage but double the capacity.

So either way you will end up with the same voltage (7.2V, I'm pretty sure).

Theoretically, using AAs would result in roughly twice the capacity, but the discharge curves for NiMH cells is different, and you will very likely have less life. I've only used AAs when there's no choice, because the life is significantly less than a single Li-Ion pack, however, buying precharged AAs is a lot easier than a Canon battery if you have an emergency.

Felipe G
EOS 1Ds, 1D Mark III, 7D, XT. 18-55, 70-200 f4L, 28-135, 28-70 f2.8L, 40mm 2.8, Tokina 12-24, Sigma 80-400 OS, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS, 1.4x Extender III.
My Gallery: http://fgrphoto.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 19, 2013 04:08 |  #9

The major advantage of using AA batteries came home to me at a French MotoGP event years ago. I'd no means of charging anything and the two unique Canon batteries died on me during qualifying. A quick trip to the shops (on Sunday morning!) and I was able to buy a set of AA batteries, the super specials were nowhere to be seen.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 19, 2013 09:05 |  #10

Your T3i uses LP-E8 batteries, I believe. Some of the previous responses talk about the larger LP-E6 (used in 7D, 60D, 5DII/III), which have almost twice the capacity of LP-E8, but won't fit your camera.

Of course, adding a grip allows you to use two LP-E6, essentially doubling your shots per charge. Or you can only put one LP-E8 in there and get the same capacity as you do now. It comes with battery holder that allows you to use six (not eight) easily found AAs, in an emergency.

The grip also gives you convenient vertical controls, which are the main reason I use a grip on all my cameras.

I agree, even the best AA batteries won't be as good as a pair of LP-E8s in the grip. The reason is as described above... in order to use the six (not eight) AAs, the camera uses them in series to increase the voltage to adequate levels (camera needs 7.2 volts, AAs are 1.5V each). The camera with grip uses the LP-E8s in parallel... actually draws power from them one at a time.

With light usage of the LCD screen, Canon rates one LP-E8 to 440-550 shots, and of course two in the grip doubles that to 880-1100 shots.

Six alkaline AA in the grip are rated to 270-470 shots (not as good as a single LP-E6). Rechargeable Nimh AA would give more shots than alkaline, but still not nearly as many as a pair of LP-E8. Canon doesn't rate any of the rechargeable AA, probably because they come in such a wide variety of capacities.

IMO, the best use of the AA battery holder that comes with the grip is to keep it for use in an emergency, should you ever find your main batteries unusable for any reason. At least alkaline AA can be found relatively cheaply almost anywhere in the world, to use in an emergency.

There are various things you can do to get better life out of your batteries. I happen to use 7D with LP-E6, but find I often exceed Canon's ratings by a large margin, simply by using some power conservation tricks. For one, I have my cameras set to sleep quickly. They wake up fast, so this is no problem. Another thing, set the camera not to replay every image. Use replay manually. The LCD monitor is a power hog. I never use the built-in flash, either... that's another power hog. And, yes, using Live View a lot also drains the batts a lot faster... It takes power for both the LCD screen and to hold the shutter open and the mirror up during LV.

I'd simply suggest get a grip and three extra batteries with it. That way you have an extra set on hand. I buy Canon brand grips, but would consider quality third party batteries if there were significant savings.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Steviewonder1
28 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 19, 2013 15:36 |  #11

If you can get them use Everyready Advanced Lithium (Silver and Blue Battery), weigh less than alkalines and have 2.5 the capacity of the alkalines. We are looking at 3000MA Batteries in a 6 pack slide in tray for the Battery Grip Adapter. They will work in the T3i and T4i and some others that have a tray that takes AA batteries. Yes they also cost a little more and are not rechargeable. They do have a shelf life of more than 7 years though. Not a bad option for a deep bail out battery. Me, I use 2x1950MA aftermarket batteries first, then the 2x1150MA Canon batteries, then the Advanced Lithium batteries in my BGA.
YMMV

Keep shooting till it looks Great!
Steve Semi-Pro Shooter
T4i, Aftermarket Battery Grip, 28-300IS, 10-20, 18-55IS STM, 18-135IS STM, 588 EX II

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 19, 2013 15:41 |  #12

Echo63 wrote in post #16219873 (external link)
OP - simple answer is No

^This
I have a grip for my T3i and can tell you, the AA's do not last as long as 2 LP-E8 batteries in the grip. It is good to have the option to use AA to keep going while your LP's are recharging. I've had nothing but good luck with 3rd party batteries and can get 2 for really cheap. I'd rather have 4 3rd party LP's (2 in the grip, 2 spares) than 12 AA's (6 in the grip, 6 spares) for use in a grip.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sponsored links

3,978 views & 0 likes for this thread
1 battery vs 2 batteries vs 8 aa batteries in t3i
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.