Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 00:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40mm Pancake AF failure

tat3406
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 20, 2013 00:40 |  #1

I have a EF-40mm pancake bought few months ago, recently the AF sometime is no function when attach to my 6D. It will ok after take off and put it on again. No same issue with my others lens. I don't think this is normal, first few month is no problem.
Any idea?

The lens still under warranty, I would like to know is this due to user error or any easy way to solve the problem before I go to canon service.

6D, 100L,24-70 F4L, 40mm pancake, 70-300L
Carl Zeiss MP 50
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tat3406/ (external link)

sponsored links
kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 20, 2013 00:44 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

That's normal and well documented.

I believe you need to update the firmware on the lens by sending it back to Canon.

fyi happens to mine too, but doesn't really bother me as it takes 2 seconds to remount the lens.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

tat3406
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 20, 2013 00:51 |  #3

kin2son wrote in post #16223322 (external link)
That's normal and well documented.

I believe you need to update the firmware on the lens by sending it back to Canon.

fyi happens to mine too, but doesn't really bother me as it takes 2 seconds to remount the lens.

Thanks for the fast respond, that also not bother me a lot.
I will use as it now and send it in when I feel free.

Carl Zeiss MP 50

jrscls
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 20, 2013 05:21 |  #4

If you have a new body (5D III, 6D, etc.), you can do the firmware update on camera. No need to send it in.

Fujifilm X-T3, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2, 80mm f/2.8 OIS Macro, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS, 1.4x TC, Flashpoint R2 Strobes/Flashes

d123
125 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 20, 2013 15:50 |  #5

Firmware can be downloaded at http://www.usa.canon.c​om …_8_stm#DriversA​ndSoftware (external link)

tat3406
THREAD ­ STARTER
275 posts
Joined May 2013

Aug 20, 2013 19:59 |  #6

Thanks a lot. I will download it and update.
Any good tutorial to learn how to do update?

Carl Zeiss MP 50

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 20, 2013 20:05 |  #7

They give you instructions with the download when you extract the zip file. It shows you how to update and everything.

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

d123
125 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 21, 2013 11:53 |  #8

tat3406 wrote in post #16225956 (external link)
Thanks a lot. I will download it and update.
Any good tutorial to learn how to do update?

Just clicking on the "Driver/Software" link within the link above gives information.

Driver/Software Details
File Name
EF40STM-v120-win.zip
File Version
File Size
1.41 MB
File Languages
English | Spanish | French | Japanese | Chinese
Post Date
08/30/2012
Download and Installation Instructions
Changes
Firmware Version 1.2.0 addresses the following phenomenon.
1. If pressure is applied to the lens barrel while the lens is mounted to the camera (pressure can be applied even while attaching the lens cap or while carrying the camera with the lens attached in a bag), the autofocusing function of the lens may stop working.

Firmware Version 1.2.0 is for lenses with Firmware Version 1.1.0. If the lens' firmware is already Version 1.2.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The lenses with the following serial numbers are equipped with Firmware Version 1.1.0:

The third digit in the serial number is either 0, 1, or 2 (xx0xxxxxxx, xx1xxxxxxx, or xx2xxxxxxx).

Lenses with serial numbers other than those listed above are equipped with Firmware Version 1.2.0.

**Cautions**
- If an extension tube, or cables, such as USB cables, are attached to the camera, the firmware may not be successfully updated, so make sure that you detach the extension tube, and/or cables before updating the firmware.
- A supported camera* is required for the firmware update.

Cameras that can be used for the firmware update:
Canon EOS-1D X (*1), Canon EOS 5D Mark III (*1,*2), or Canon EOS Kiss X6i/REBEL T4i/650D

*1 If the "Battery Info." on the menu screen is checked right before performing the firmware update, the update operation may fail. If the battery information is checked, turn off and on the power before performing the firmware update. If the update fails, please remove and reinsert the battery then perform the firmware update again.

*2 The firmware update operation may fail if updating the firmware under any of the following conditions:
a) The camera's (EOS 5D Mark III) firmware version is Version 1.1.2 or earlier.
Update the camera's firmware to Version 1.1.3 or later first, before performing the lens firmware update.
b) The battery information (EOS 5D Mark III) is registered in the camera
Delete all the registered information first, turn off and on the power, and then perform firmware update.

If the firmware update operation fails, remove the battery and lens. Insert just the battery into the camera (without attaching the lens). Power on the camera and if you are using an EOS 5D Mark III, confirm that the firmware version of the camera is 1.1.3 or later and there is no battery information registered in the camera. After confirming the above two conditions, attach the lens and perform the firmware update again.

Customers who do not own any of the cameras listed above, but wish to have the firmware of their lenses updated, are asked to contact our service centres.

sponsored links

1,522 views & 0 likes for this thread
40mm Pancake AF failure
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.