Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Aug 2013 (Tuesday) 11:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting a color run can ruin equipment

milleniumking
339 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 20, 2013 16:59 |  #16

what if you have weather sealed gear? Like a mark 3 or a 1 series?

sponsored links
joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 20, 2013 17:04 |  #17

milleniumking wrote in post #16225440 (external link)

Roger mentioned them in the comments of the original article I posted.

Roger Cicala said:

Weather sealing helps, but doesn’t stop it. We’ve had it in several weather sealed camera-lens combinations, although there does seem to be less of it.

Joel

N2bnfunn
706 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 20, 2013 23:17 |  #18

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16224607 (external link)
They are really popular now, it seems like every other day someone on my Facebook feed shares photos from one. And the first thing I thought was, I'm glad I didn't take those photos!

Look at the last picture in the original article:

http://www.lensrentals​.com …n-5-minutes-without-water (external link)

Dude what Part of what I typed did you NOT understand I have ALREADY did the event and my camera is FINE.... I don't know any other way to tell you ... that is NOT THE SAME type of paint. GEEZ

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

N2bnfunn
706 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 20, 2013 23:17 |  #19

milleniumking wrote in post #16225440 (external link)

I have 1DX it is FINE!!!

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 21, 2013 00:14 |  #20

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16226364 (external link)
Dude what Part of what I typed did you NOT understand I have ALREADY did the event and my camera is FINE.... I don't know any other way to tell you ... that is NOT THE SAME type of paint. GEEZ

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16226369 (external link)
I have 1DX it is FINE!!!

I never said anything about the type of paint.

Have you disassembled your gear to see if there is powder inside? That is my point.

Joel

N2bnfunn
706 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 21, 2013 00:28 |  #21

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16226451 (external link)
I never said anything about the type of paint.

Have you disassembled your gear to see if there is powder inside? That is my point.

Nope and I won't and I have did a few event since and the picture look fine.. LET IT GO.. ok

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 21, 2013 01:13 |  #22

LV Moose wrote in post #16224643 (external link)
...That stuff can't be good for the runners' lungs, either.

David Arbogast wrote in post #16225216 (external link)
And then there's the concern about inhaling second-hand color...

From FAQ section on the "Color Run Australia" website

The Color Run™ explosions are basically food grade cornstarch and are 100% natural and SAFE.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

rx7speed
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 21, 2013 02:04 |  #23

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16224662 (external link)
See you are talking about a different type of paint, the kind they use in a color vibe race is NOT PAINT
it is just like a color powder it just come right off.

Neither event uses paint. They both (the Color Vibe and the Color Run as well as an event not listed here which is the Color Me Rad) all claim to use the same stuff.

100% food grade cornstarch

So what the guy at lens rentals was having issues with I'm going to go out on a limb and say is the same stuff you are saying is 100% A okay.

Disclaimer: I have covered the Color Me Rad 5k and I didn't have much for issues. Granted I used gaffers tape around every seam that I could on my camera, every button had tape over it as well. I taped up the focus ring on my 70-200, I also put a filter on the front of the lens and then put silicone around the filter and filter/lens seam. After all that I then put one of those rain sleves around my camera as well. Only thing that was left open was the zoom ring on the lens otherwise everything else had tape on it.

So I'm sure that I ended up more or less ok but still the gear is dust resistant not dust proof and I will admit to even with all that finding dust starting to enter the tape seal in some places. That stuff is much finer then most dirt/dust and while canon does call it weather/drip/dust resistant it is just that. Resistant not proof.
Figured on my end though if it came down to it thats what I have insurance for, but still going to do my fair share to prevent any issues.

digital: 7d 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, 17-55 2.8 IS

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Aug 21, 2013 04:40 |  #24

2 options to avoid problems:

get a 500mm lens and shoot from far away

OR

get a 50mm 1.8 and trash it after that day

:mrgreen:

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,716 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 21, 2013 05:02 |  #25

philwillmedia wrote in post #16226552 (external link)
From FAQ section on the "Color Run Australia" website

Yeah, it may be safe to eat, but a human's lungs weren't meant to deal with that sort of super fine power any more than they were meant to deal with cigarette smoke.

Gear List

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Aug 21, 2013 09:24 |  #26

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16226480 (external link)
Nope and I won't and I have did a few event since and the picture look fine.. LET IT GO.. ok

I expressed my own opinion that I was glad I haven't shot any of these events - I never told you not to do any more events, all I did was link to the original article and let people draw their own conclusions.

If someone is not letting something go, it's not me.

And of course, as others have mentioned there's the whole health issue with inhaling corn starch into your lungs.

Joel

N2bnfunn
706 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 21, 2013 12:16 |  #27

what I think it is, the lower and mid range camera's they are NOT sealed like the 1DX then you might have a problem, but lucky I did not have any

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 21, 2013 18:58 |  #28

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16227223 (external link)
I expressed my own opinion that I was glad I haven't shot any of these events - I never told you not to do any more events, all I did was link to the original article and let people draw their own conclusions.

If someone is not letting something go, it's not me.

And of course, as others have mentioned there's the whole health issue with inhaling corn starch into your lungs.

The MSDS for cornstarch (external link) indicates that occasional inhalation would be OK for someone without respiratory issues. As far as damage to cameras and lenses, Roger would have the widest experience since he deals with numerous bodies and lenses so, like you, I'll take his caution to heart. If I ever pull one of these events as an assignment, I'll use my waterproof P&S or borrow a waterproof housing.

John ­ from ­ PA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,056 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 21, 2013 20:42 |  #29

http://www.ncbi.nlm.ni​h.gov/m/pubmed/8859920​/ (external link)

Admittedly a one month old but cornstarch in the diaper resulted in a 5-day hospital stay for pneumonia. So it likely deserves some serious thought before putting one self in that environment.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 21, 2013 21:01 |  #30

N2bnfunn wrote in post #16227688 (external link)
what I think it is, the lower and mid range camera's they are NOT sealed like the 1DX then you might have a problem, but lucky I did not have any

I would think the guy that owns Lens Rentals has a wee bit more experience with this than you. . . . . . :rolleyes:

Just because you aren't seeing it in your images doesn't mean there isn't any in your camera or lens either. ;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links

6,393 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting a color run can ruin equipment
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.