Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Aug 2013 (Friday) 10:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Requesting calibration data from lens manufacturers

Sens0r
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Aug 23, 2013 10:54 |  #1

This is just an idea that crossed my mind..

I work in military/business aviation industry, specifically in testing lights used in aircraft manufacturing. We keep records of every test procedure of each unit for 10 years in case a customer requests them (i.e the government, or business aircraft manufacturers).

I was thinking, since many of us wonder how good their "copy" of a lens is, why not contact the lens manufacturer and request the calibration/testing data for that copy based on its serial number?

Did anyone try this before?

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,607 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 23, 2013 11:05 |  #2

Um.. This is why hammers cost $800 and toilet seats $1000. I'd be really surprised if any records are generated at all or even if every lens is final tested.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 23, 2013 11:43 |  #3

what type of calibration data?

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 23, 2013 12:00 |  #4

If each lens were rigourously tested and supplied with that sort of data, they'd cost 3X as much or more!

If you want, you can do a lot of your own testing...

Read the article at http://www.lensrentals​.com …010/11/how-to-test-a-lens (external link)

Then look into http://www.dxo.com/int​l (external link) and their lens testing at http://www.dxomark.com …enses/Camera-Lens-Ratings (external link). They also have camera/sensor testing at http://www.dxomark.com …ras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings (external link)

You can make yourself crazy in search of "perfect" optics (hint: there's no such thing).

Me, I'll just go shoot with my gear and learn what it can do. Crunching the numbers often doesn't really tell us all that much about how a lens will perform out in the real world. Sure, I look at the numbers when I'm considering a purchase, but I take them with a grain of salt, don't put all that much weight on them. Sometimes it's the "flaws" of a lens that make it unusual and wonderful.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 23, 2013 14:17 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #16233466 (external link)
Um.. This is why hammers cost $800 and toilet seats $1000. I'd be really surprised if any records are generated at all or even if every lens is final tested.

Don't be silly:D While I do agree that the existing calibration and testing of lenses and cameras is sufficient for us "picture takers," all parts and equipment used for military and commercial aircraft have to pass strict guidelines, not only for safety reasons, but also because the tremendously expensive liabilities involved.

7D, 5DII

drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 23, 2013 15:07 |  #6

Rafromak wrote in post #16233956 (external link)
Don't be silly:D While I do agree that the existing calibration and testing of lenses and cameras is sufficient for us "picture takers," all parts and equipment used for military and commercial aircraft have to pass strict guidelines, not only for safety reasons, but also because the tremendously expensive liabilities involved.

Years ago, I worked for a company that buy a decoder for $1000, tested to make sure it meet the military temp and sensitivity spec, repackage in the military enclosure and sell for $9000. This is true. All units passed but just need to verify and prove and then provide the test data.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,607 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 23, 2013 15:41 |  #7

Rafromak wrote in post #16233956 (external link)

Yes, I know, I have worked on gov contracts before. The amount of record keeping is staggering and many times redundant.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 23, 2013 16:02 |  #8

drive_75 wrote in post #16234068 (external link)
Years ago, I worked for a company that buy a decoder for $1000, tested to make sure it meet the military temp and sensitivity spec, repackage in the military enclosure and sell for $9000. This is true. All units passed but just need to verify and prove and then provide the test data.

Yes, and the "proving" part is expensive because your company assumes the possible liabilities. For example, if a company builds an aircraft fuel pump and it is found that the aircraft crashed because the pump malfunctioned, the pump manufacturer will be paying out of his nose in court. Another example: it's found that substandard aircraft engine-mount bolts were used and the engine separated from the aircraft frame...

See my points?

7D, 5DII

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 23, 2013 16:35 |  #9

We issue Certs of Conformance and keep records for 10 years. Yes, we have to due to some of our certifications and Government requirements.

I wonder if Canon's Cal Lab is ISO Certified?

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

sponsored links

1,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
Requesting calibration data from lens manufacturers
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.