Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Aug 2013 (Saturday) 06:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

squirrel

mmahmood
167 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 24, 2013 06:14 |  #1

a shot from today and i guess other than that she accepted my offer of biscuit nothing went good, plz explain few things

1) why blue haze on the tree
2) i was shooting directly into the sun thats why subject is dark and image is blown out in the middle, how to tacke this situation on the spot or in post
3) what do you say about bright green leaves, this is how image came out of camera with UV filter on, looks too much saturated in my opinion

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2829/9580050425_4f385473ff_b.jpg

sponsored links
NumLock
59 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 24, 2013 07:49 |  #2

1 i'd guess it was lens flare from the direct sunlight hitting the lens.
2. You could try some fill-flash, shooting from a different angle or at a different time of day when the light is not so bright in the background.
3. Probably caused by bright backlight.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,302 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Aug 24, 2013 08:19 |  #3

Not bad considering the strong back lighting and the chipmunk in shade. You need to either crop or get in closer to the chipmunk. The surrounding stuff does not contribute to the image. Or wait for a moment when the lighting is better. These fellows move around a lot. So be patient.

The blue haze is flare from the sun bouncing off the front element and back into the camera from the inner surface of your filter. Take it off and use a hood instead if front element protection is your goal. Your cardinal rule should be no additional glass -- no matter how much you paid for it -- unless the conditions warrant it, like shooting in a hurricane, volcanic eruption, or combat.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 24, 2013 15:18 |  #4

thanks for the input guys,

@numlock
its not just these leaves overall green tone is much prominent in all pictures, the grass and leaves alike and it gotta be the filter in my opinion.

@joeldh
agreed to that chipmunk thingy
this time i had both lens cap and filter on, filter is kinda placed permanently to avoid dust entering into the lens as i can see couple of dust particles on inner glass, and lens hood was there because i know i will be shooting in bright light.
sure its a cat and chipmunk game shooting them and they are fast

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 24, 2013 21:34 |  #5

It's actually not bad - you got the exposure on the critter quite well.

I agree with Joe - lose the filter. Modern glass is not that delicate. I would use a lens hood made for the lens. There are conditions that might warrant a protective filter but I do all I can to avoid being in those places.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,302 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Aug 24, 2013 22:46 |  #6

mmahmood wrote in post #16236419 (external link)
filter is kinda placed permanently to avoid dust entering into the lens as i can see couple of dust particles on inner glass

If you look very closely at the front of your lens, you will see the the filter does not cover any gap that would allow dust to enter the lens. It's more likely that the dust got in through a focus or zoom ring. A little bit of dust will not affect the image quality to any noticeable extent.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

sponsored links

667 views & 0 likes for this thread
squirrel
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.