Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 26 Aug 2013 (Monday) 00:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Struggling with fence lines...

Salma
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 26, 2013 00:09 |  #1

The picture below says it all really, how to get rid of these horrible fences in PP? Anyone have any suggestions? I have tried the clone to but it is not an easy task.

Please excuse the watermark, i have had people take my images before and use them on their websites and social networks, people can easily clone them out so it has been put in an awkward position.

Thanks guys :)

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/9595454220_6c9c4a8722_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/sitaraphotos/9​595454220/  (external link)
ZSL Whipsnade Zoo (external link) by SitaraPhotos (external link), on Flickr

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

sponsored links
photobug7d
385 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 26, 2013 15:23 |  #2

Have you tried content aware move in Photoshop?

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 26, 2013 18:52 |  #3

photobug7d wrote in post #16241915 (external link)
Have you tried content aware move in Photoshop?

No I haven't, I will have a look for a tutorial. Thank you :D

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 27, 2013 01:16 |  #4

I apologize in advance if you did not want anyone to edit your image and repost since you didn't have your notification on that said otherwise, but here is a 5 minute workflow that I go through on most of my images in clean up. If you would like me to remove the image, just give me a PM.

This image is tougher than most because the majority of the image has fence in the BG.
Remember this was only 5 minutes, if it was my image I would spend upwards of 30 minutes to fix it.

1. Before any removal I always check for exposure so that I am cloning the correct highlights and shadows. I first used curves to tone down the highlights in the tiger's face which were almost blown out. (the OP was also a little over sharpened)

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3806/9606210290_86f3740d93_b.jpg

2. The second thing I do is check for small details that need to be removed, this will give me an unbroken base pallet of tones to use for cloning on the larger objects. In this case, the dark tones in the upper left were ideal so I began with using the spot healing brush tool to get the small fencing, then touching up the patterns I created with the healing brush tool.
IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5489/9602975559_0cf1f6bfe7_b.jpg

3. Because I had nice dark tones to work with in the upper left, I gradually began to clone to the right (using the upper left as a source point), starting above the tigers head and working up into the corner. When cloning, always try to keep your source points in horizontal bands across the image. This will give you natural looking light, not bright on one side and dark on the other.
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7440/9606210350_86185310d7_b.jpg

4. The second to last step is blurring your heals. I used a 15% blur brush in horizontal strips in order to keep the DOF somewhat convincing. Brush over the top of the image more than the middle as you want to keep the DOF realistic. After the blurring, I dodged and burned to create shadows in the BG (pretty bad shadow effects because I only spent 5 minutes total on the image). Instead of using the dodge/burn tool, which is destructive, I use the non-destructive version. ALT+new layer>MODE: soft light> check the box "fill box with 50% gray"> then use the black and white brush tool to create your shadows and highlights; respectively. If you want to remove a burn that you did, just switch to white as your primary color and dodge over the burnt spot.
IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3704/9606209900_0fe13f40ab_b.jpg

5. The final step was to re-evaluate the image. In this case I noticed that it was a pretty cool image for the tiger being in the sun, so I slightly warmed up the white balance. I did one final curves adjustment to get the shadows looking better.
IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3824/9606359296_0c5012665e_b.jpg

Again, I hope you do not take offense to me posting this. It was a REALLY quick edit, so the cloning is quite rough. Especially in the upper right there are some larger patterns that need to be removed.
EDIT: The source point for the middle right was the middle left grasses and weeds, I used varying clone brush sizes and opacities to get an alright result. When you are cloning, it is really easy to get stuck using the same size brush with the same opacity for the entire time. The secret to being successful with it is changing the settings up.

Hope this helps,

--
flickr (external link)

FPP
832 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 27, 2013 11:59 |  #5

Excellent job and explanation. Thanks, Evan.

7D Mark II, 50D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 10-22, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, EF-S 60MM f2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55 IS, 28-135 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 580 EX II, Yongnuo YN-24EX, JasonC007 Diffuser Kit, Gitzo GT2531EX, ARCA-SWISS Z1, RRS B2 AS II clamp, Kirk L-bracket for 7DII, Kirk L-bracket for 50D

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 27, 2013 14:04 |  #6

Evan, thank you so very much for this, I really appreciate it. Thanks for taking out the time to explain it in detail, I will definitely be using this technique in the future.

sponsored links

1,120 views & 0 likes for this thread
Struggling with fence lines...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.