Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 26 Aug 2013 (Monday) 08:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for insurance company NOT for a pro photog?

reefvilla
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 26, 2013 08:56 |  #1

After reading a few horror stories I don't think I want to add a rider onto my State Farm home insurance policy.

I'm looking for an independent insurance company that will insure the average joe that loves to take pictures but does not have a photography business.
I looked at Hill and Usher but when I went to fill out there "quote" sheet it was totally aimed at someone in the business.

-----------Canon EOS R -----------

sponsored links
sjwolfhope
72 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 26, 2013 09:08 |  #2

What horror stories are you talking about? Related to State Farm? I have a Personal Effects policy from State Farm for my camera equipment. Totally unconnected to my Homeowners Policy. No deductible. Any claims on it should have no effect on my Homeowners rates. Costs me $30 per year for $3000 coverage. Not a good idea to have a rider as far as I can tell - probably have rather high deductibles.

Steve W.

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 26, 2013 09:25 |  #3

sjwolfhope wrote in post #16240834 (external link)
What horror stories are you talking about? Related to State Farm? I have a Personal Effects policy from State Farm for my camera equipment. Totally unconnected to my Homeowners Policy. No deductible. Any claims on it should have no effect on my Homeowners rates. Costs me $30 per year for $3000 coverage. Not a good idea to have a rider as far as I can tell - probably have rather high deductibles.

Steve W.

I have seen several stories of insurance companies raising rates but what I'm worried about is the stories I've read of the insurance canceling the policy after a claim on photo gear. I travel a lot and always take a camera or two and if I do have a claim I don't need to get screwed in the process.
I have had a rider on my State Farm policy and it was dirt cheap for like $5000 in coverage so, Yes, I can go that route, Just looking for alternatives and options.

sjwolfhope
72 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Aug 26, 2013 09:39 as a reply to  @ reefvilla's post |  #4

What I am talking about is not a rider, but a separate policy.

Humble ­ Photographer
87 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 26, 2013 09:41 |  #5

So why don't you get a personal articles policy from state farm not a rider? Yes it won't be cheap, but it won't cause issues with your home owners insurance.

Calhoun213
122 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 26, 2013 10:00 as a reply to  @ Humble Photographer's post |  #6

Almost every insurance company that sells homeowner insurance (including renter's policies or condo policies) will have the capability of scheduling camera equipment. Just like scheduling guns or jewelry. It is added directly to your policy. They charge so much per $100 or $1000 of value. Probably the most valuable protection is coverage against breakage. If you didn't schedule your camera / lens and you accidently dropped it and damaged it there is no coverage under the standard homeowners policy. Contact your agent and provide them with a description of your items and the value.

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 26, 2013 10:45 |  #7

sjwolfhope wrote in post #16240912 (external link)
What I am talking about is not a rider, but a separate policy.

Ok.... That I will look into. If I can keep it separate that will work great.

AND YES.... I'M ANAL and PARANOID! :lol::mrgreen:

caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 26, 2013 10:58 |  #8

The problem is that it doesn't really make any money for agents so a lot of agents will say you need some other insurance with state farm before you can get the Personal Articles Policy. Just keep asking other agents. It took me 5 tries to find one.

This shouldn't be a problem with you since you already have home insurance with them.

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 26, 2013 11:10 |  #9

caoko wrote in post #16241123 (external link)
This shouldn't be a problem with you since you already have home insurance with them.

Business, house, 3 cars and a diamond ring. They should just insure my camera gear for free!! :)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 26, 2013 11:49 |  #10

reefvilla,

There's nothing to fear with a Personal Valuable Property policy. My policy costs are approximately $12 a year per $1,000 in coverage and it covers everything from theft to simply fumbling the glass and dropping it. I've had my policy for 5 years now, and although I've never had to make a claim, my rates will not skyrocket if I have to make a claim nor will my policy be cancelled.

I imagine someone could run into rising rates or a cancellation if they made a lot of claims in a short period of time, but that shouldn't be an issue unless someone has butter fingers or really, really bad luck.

Bryan

My Gear List

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,557 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 26, 2013 12:25 |  #11

bps wrote in post #16241271 (external link)
reefvilla,

There's nothing to fear with a Personal Valuable Property policy. My policy costs are approximately $12 a year per $1,000 in coverage and it covers everything from theft to simply fumbling the glass and dropping it. I've had my policy for 5 years now, and although I've never had to make a claim, my rates will not skyrocket if I have to make a claim nor will my policy be cancelled.

I imagine someone could run into rising rates or a cancellation if they made a lot of claims in a short period of time, but that shouldn't be an issue unless someone has butter fingers or really, really bad luck.

Bryan

I keep seeing this rate of $12 per $1000. The local State Farm agent here quoted me $15 per $1000. Anyone else paying more than $12 per $1000?

Mark J.
Gear

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 26, 2013 14:04 |  #12

I pay a little less than $16 per $1000 through USAA with no deductible. The only caveat is you have to be military or former military to join USAA.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

jmckayak
500 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2009

Aug 26, 2013 14:30 |  #13

Will you be going out of the country with your equipment? Some policies are for the US only.

reefvilla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 26, 2013 14:44 |  #14

jmckayak wrote in post #16241740 (external link)
Will you be going out of the country with your equipment? Some policies are for the US only.

yes... once or twice a year.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 26, 2013 19:17 |  #15

Calhoun213 wrote in post #16240957 (external link)
Almost every insurance company that sells homeowner insurance (including renter's policies or condo policies) will have the capability of scheduling camera equipment. Just like scheduling guns or jewelry. It is added directly to your policy. They charge so much per $100 or $1000 of value. Probably the most valuable protection is coverage against breakage. If you didn't schedule your camera / lens and you accidently dropped it and damaged it there is no coverage under the standard homeowners policy. Contact your agent and provide them with a description of your items and the value.

farmer's does not. and that's a big one. they cover all my properties, so they were the first i called.

and like the op noted, and many have implied above, it's not always a good idea to add to your existing policy. state farm has a completely seperate policy, as noted above, and protects against most anything. it's the only one i know of from a larger company and i also researched this a long time.

so, if anyone knows of another one other than state farm, that would be very helpful.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

sponsored links

3,419 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for insurance company NOT for a pro photog?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.