Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DxO assess the Canon 70D's sensor performance

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,826 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 31, 2013 10:41 |  #136

agree
Im researching also
people know a lot more than me
Im sure dxo isnt an end all
but no website tests are
use it as info to make decisions
I like dp review a lot
but they havent posted their conclusions yet
Im also looking for real world shooters examples that meet my needs
havent seen many sports stuff yet
im sure as time goes by there will be some

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links
_igi
262 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 31, 2013 11:27 |  #137

I don't understand that DR hype. It was the deal with few older cameras, but now it rocks. Olny situations after over three months of use was when i've accidently overexpose my shots at +3ev, and there vere burned-out parts in the clouds, and when i've shot into the sun and exposed to dark shadows.

In documentary it might hurt, but then you have speedlites with you, in portrait you don't care as mimics and skin tones are most important, in landscape and architecture - you don't care as you're shooting on tripod and blend exposures anyway.

Just use the light, if not - buy more equipment, like filters, tripod or software :-)

1DsIII x2 | 1DIV | TS-E17/4L | TS-E 24/3.5LII | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L | 135L | 28-70/2.8L | 100-400L

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,458 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 31, 2013 12:47 |  #138

I don't understand the "we don't need better" anti-improved-DR hype.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 31, 2013 12:50 |  #139
bannedPermanent ban

_igi wrote in post #16256257 (external link)
I don't understand that DR hype. It was the deal with few older cameras, but now it rocks. Olny situations after over three months of use was when i've accidently overexpose my shots at +3ev, and there vere burned-out parts in the clouds, and when i've shot into the sun and exposed to dark shadows.

In documentary it might hurt, but then you have speedlites with you, in portrait you don't care as mimics and skin tones are most important, in landscape and architecture - you don't care as you're shooting on tripod and blend exposures anyway.

Just use the light, if not - buy more equipment, like filters, tripod or software :-)

I guess the same question could be asked about high ISO...why do we need it, we could just use a flash when it gets dark. Having options is what it is all about. There are times when you cannot blend a couple of images because your taking the photo without a tripod.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 31, 2013 12:52 |  #140
bannedPermanent ban

David Arbogast wrote in post #16256420 (external link)
I don't understand the "we don't need better" anti-improved-DR hype.

More correct would be "I don't need better". In that case, then they should be happy with their gear and not even be interested in what others need.

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 31, 2013 12:56 |  #141

After switching to Sony, I find it much easier to salvage photos taken in high contrast situation, vs my T3i. I can expose to preserve highlights, then pull the shadows an still get clean photos. With T3i, the shadows were always an issue in harsh light. There's no denying Canon's DR is nowhere near what Exmore can produce.

But there's more to camera than just sensor. I briefly tried D5200 and I hated nearly everything about it, despite the great sensor performance. If I ever go back to a DSLR, it would be Sony or Canon (not going to spend the money on D800). Canon strong points are sharpness (where D5200 fell short), ruggedness, good customer service, pleasing colors, plenty of relatively cheap good lenses, great controls. Sony has sensor performance, focus peaking (good feature not only for manual lenses), EVF (which I really came to like as it gives WYSIWYG picture), and in their large cameras also IBIS.

Canon is a leading camera company. They make their own sensor (unlike Nikon) and while this is very beneficial from a business perspective, this also means they can't quickly adapt their manufacturing processes. It's not that they can't design a sensor with better DR or high ISO performance, likely it can't be produced on their current tooling and it is too expensive to retool.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,826 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 31, 2013 13:47 |  #142

Hogloff wrote in post #16256433 (external link)
I guess the same question could be asked about high ISO...why do we need it, we could just use a flash when it gets dark. Having options is what it is all about. There are times when you cannot blend a couple of images because your taking the photo without a tripod.

I cant use a flash many times shooting sports
most of the time its not allowed
especially indoors

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 31, 2013 16:40 |  #143

_igi wrote in post #16256257 (external link)

Nikon's cameras are so good with dynamic range that you don't need to blend exposures. Canon's cameras need you do to a lot more work to get around the lack of DR. That is the point.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 31, 2013 17:07 |  #144

Just remember, the Sony sensor is only going to have the DR advantage between 100-800 ISO, after that it's a even match.

The advantage for Sony is 2 stops or less between those ISO's. As a mod pointed out to me, there's a lot of hyperbole, and we need to keep things in perspective (when it comes to the actual 'truth').

This hasn't affected me with the 5d2 (yet), but there are situation when the ISO is cranked, there could be banding in the shadows. I would think that would be a better point to argue, for Sony people, than 2 stops of DR.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 31, 2013 17:10 |  #145

davidc502 wrote in post #16256903 (external link)
Just remember, the Sony sensor is only going to have the DR advantage between 100-800 ISO, after that it's a even match.

The advantage for Sony is 2 stops or less between those ISO's. As a mod pointed out to me, there's a lot of hyperbole, and we need to keep things in perspective (when it comes to the actual 'truth').

This hasn't affected me with the 5d2 (yet), but there are situation when the ISO is cranked, there could be banding. I would think that would be a better point to argue then 2 stops of DR.

Two stops is rather huge. In a fairly large percentage of high dynamic range scenes, it will make the difference between bracketing vs. a single exposure.

The mentality that two stops of DR is relatively unimportant compared against marginal, iffy differences at high ISO sure doesn't resonate with me. But, as I already noted earlier in the thread, I accept that's the prevalent view on this board (and, I presume, among Canon users in general). So, I'm doing something about it by switching to Nikon.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 31, 2013 17:26 |  #146

brettjrob wrote in post #16256910 (external link)
Two stops is rather huge. In a fairly large percentage of high dynamic range scenes, it will make the difference between bracketing vs. a single exposure.

The mentality that two stops of DR is relatively unimportant compared against marginal, iffy differences at high ISO sure doesn't resonate with me. But, as I already noted earlier in the thread, I accept that's the prevalent view on this board (and, I presume, among Canon users in general). So, I'm doing something about it by switching to Nikon.

Is it that huge? It's not like Canon's out there tripping over themselves trying to match or better Sony in the DR range. If they were loosing huge market share, we would have heard or seen something, from them, a year or longer ago.

Don't get me wrong, unless Canon is sitting on thier laurels, they adventually will produce a sensor with as good, if not better DR as Sony. It's just that I'm not convinced Canon is too worried about it, and as a consumer who's bought Canon goods since 1991, if they aren't worried, then I'm not either.

Also, when we say "huge" I think of the differences between the first 1mega pixel digital cameras and today's Canon 1DX, because that's huge. If Canon was that far behind in the DR race, then there's a big problem and Canon's got thier heads in the sand.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 31, 2013 17:42 |  #147
bannedPermanent ban

davidc502 wrote in post #16256926 (external link)
Is it that huge? It's not like Canon's out there tripping over themselves trying to match or better Sony in the DR range. If they were loosing huge market share, we would have heard or seen something, from them, a year or longer ago.

Don't get me wrong, unless Canon is sitting on thier laurels, they adventually will produce a sensor with as good, if not better DR as Sony. It's just that I'm not convinced Canon is too worried about it, and as a consumer who's bought Canon goods since 1991, if they aren't worried, then I'm not either.

Also, when we say "huge" I think of the differences between the first 1mega pixel digital cameras and today's Canon 1DX, because that's huge. If Canon was that far behind in the DR race, then there's a big problem and Canon's got thier heads in the sand.

I really don't care if Canon is worried about it or not. I make my own decisions based on what is important for me...not what is important for Canon or the Canon masses.

Right now I shoot with a 5d2 and struggle with high dynamic range scenes using combinations of GND filters and blending techniques, all of which are a pain in the ass. If the next professional full frame camera released by Canon does not improve on their dynamic range, I am gone.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,458 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 31, 2013 20:56 |  #148

DR is not an overblown issue. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 31, 2013 20:57 |  #149

Bakewell wrote in post #16257078 (external link)
I think the entire DR issue is completely overblown and relevant only in extreme circumstances...

PS. dedicated to Hogloff

Feel free to plug your ears and cover your eyes and ignore numerous posters who have stated otherwise, as pertains to their own photography needs.

If we're going to play this game, I'll shoot: I don't give a rat's posterior about sports, action or wildlife photography. Personally, I could get by just fine with a single center AF point. Non-cross type. Ergo, any and all complaints about AF on any body are hereby completely overblown.

Even if "My Brand" has a single center AF point while competitors have had the 1DX AF system for the past half-decade.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 31, 2013 21:01 |  #150

David Arbogast wrote in post #16257293 (external link)
DR is not an overblown issue. :)

You're right, and I'm glad it's been exposed. ;)

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sponsored links

18,727 views & 0 likes for this thread
DxO assess the Canon 70D's sensor performance
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.