Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DxO assess the Canon 70D's sensor performance

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 29, 2013 15:00 |  #46

lsquare wrote in post #16249496 (external link)
http://www.dxomark.com …el-CMOS-AF-sensor-perform (external link)

Summary: Canon barely made much improvement to its APS-C sensor except for the small increase in megapixels. The Nikon D7100 and Sony A77 outperforms the Canon 70D.

Considering how big Canon is, I can't believe the gap between Canon's sensors and its competitors are growing. How is this possible? The Canon 70D's successor will not be released until 2015/2016, which means that its APS-C sensors will have essentially stagnated for 5-6 years.

I guess the answer is pretty obvious here. If someone doesn't need the features of the 70D (i.e. Dual Pixel AF), then there's no point to upgrade from the 60D since the 70D barely outperforms the 60D's sensor.

or DxOMark is full of ****

I go more with the DxOMark is for couch measurebation, Not photography...

And thats because i put more faith in actual -samples- from the cameras... Like D800 vs 5DIII I see the difference and that... I havnt seen actual images comparing the output of the 70D and D7100 yet

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 29, 2013 15:03 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

jdizzle wrote in post #16250916 (external link)
You have every right as a consumer to gripe if you pay your hard earned money for a sensor that doesn't perform all around. Why don't people understand that? :confused:

I think it has something to do with people's infuriority complex when maybe...just maybe their gear that they so much cherish might have some problems. Somehow people get attached to their gear and cannot separate themselves and have an honest conversation regarding gear without feeling they are being insulted when someone says something not so flattering about said gear.

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,790 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 29, 2013 15:04 |  #48

I dont have that problem
my gears problem is me

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 29, 2013 15:08 |  #49
bannedPermanent ban

KenjiS wrote in post #16251004 (external link)
or DxOMark is full of ****

I go more with the DxOMark is for couch measurebation, Not photography...

And thats because i put more faith in actual -samples- from the cameras... Like D800 vs 5DIII I see the difference and that... I havnt seen actual images comparing the output of the 70D and D7100 yet

There is room for both types of tests. The nice thing about the DXO test is that it is consistent and repeatable for all cameras. Same test under controlled conditions. You might not agree with their scores, but if you look deeper into the actual tests and results, you'll see there is a lot of valid data.

The problem with comparing images on the net is that you have no idea how the images were manipulated, what the camera settings were, what type of post processing occured, what lenses were used...basically out of control environments.

Now, the best way to compare two cameras is to shoot both of them yourself...that is what I did with my 5D2 and D800 and I know which of those produces the better images.:)

Loknor
53 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 29, 2013 15:11 |  #50

Bakewell wrote in post #16250757 (external link)
Really? Read your last 50 posts. Positive? Where? Just stop being soooooo negative!

He's not negative, he's flat out stating cold hard facts. You might not like it, but it's the truth. And yes, there are many reasons to be happy with Canon gear, but that does not change the reality of a sensor tech that's more than a few years behind the curve.

I simply do not understand why people go all defensive when facts are laid out. What's so scary about the truth?

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 29, 2013 15:13 |  #51

Hogloff wrote in post #16251010 (external link)
I think it has something to do with people's infuriority complex when maybe...just maybe their gear that they so much cherish might have some problems. Somehow people get attached to their gear and cannot separate themselves and have an honest conversation regarding gear without feeling they are being insulted when someone says something not so flattering about said gear.

Because they invested money in it, and in our culture and society admitting you might have spent your money on an inferior product makes you appear naive or foolish..

That said, To make sure people dont misunderstand, I'm not saying DxOMark isnt right, I am saying that its hard, at least for me, to understand the "difference" so to speak without seeing actual images and examples, And putting all your faith in their "numbers" is perhaps unwise as well... 20 points or whatever on a thing is ust a number to me, Show me examples, Show me samples, Show me what those 20 points actually -mean- beyond, well, 20 points

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,790 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 29, 2013 15:18 |  #52

Im kinda here

I think the top end cameras have reached a stabilized point of development. It used to be that every dollar you spent bought you an extra dollar of value. Now, it seems like the high end cameras may be better, but I'm having a hard time being convinced the 5D3 is worth 3 times what the 70D is in terms of photo quality. I really liked the 6D, if Canon hadn't deliberately crippled it to keep it from competing with the 5D3.

any thoughts?

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,301 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 29, 2013 15:18 |  #53

KenjiS wrote in post #16251038 (external link)
Because they invested money in it, and in our culture and society admitting you might have spent your money on an inferior product makes you appear naive or foolish..

One thing to keep in mind, for the most part, we are talking about nits here. The difference between all these cameras is small. The problem that DxO has is that very few have ever taken the time to read the description of their metrics and don't understand them. So, if I don't understand it it must be stupid because clearly I am not stupid.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 29, 2013 15:18 |  #54

Hogloff wrote in post #16251021 (external link)
There is room for both types of tests. The nice thing about the DXO test is that it is consistent and repeatable for all cameras. Same test under controlled conditions. You might not agree with their scores, but if you look deeper into the actual tests and results, you'll see there is a lot of valid data.

The problem with comparing images on the net is that you have no idea how the images were manipulated, what the camera settings were, what type of post processing occured, what lenses were used...basically out of control environments.

Now, the best way to compare two cameras is to shoot both of them yourself...that is what I did with my 5D2 and D800 and I know which of those produces the better images.:)

I know there is, its just really hard for me to understand, in practical usage, the difference between a 60 and a 70 on their graph... I know for instance I HAVE handled a few cameras and looked at trading out my 7D for say, a D7000 before (Which has a supposedly better sensor) and i didnt find the files that much better than what my 7D does... I wasnt impressed enough with what I saw to warrant a switch...

Oh and yeah, the D800 is better than the 5D2/5D3 by miles to me..

Granted, Most of my old "Why I wont switch to Nikon" arguments are gone at this point, They have an 80-400 and a 70-200 f/4 VR now, The only one that now exists is simply that I do not feel like it, I dont feel like selling my gear off and buying a new camera right now...

Besides I still hold out maybe a little hope the 7D II will be better ;)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Aug 29, 2013 15:20 |  #55

Hogloff wrote in post #16250353 (external link)
Not that easy if you have a bunch of Canon glass. I think you already know this but just want to be a jerk...right.

Lol

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 29, 2013 15:32 |  #56

KenjiS wrote in post #16251053 (external link)
I know there is, its just really hard for me to understand, in practical usage, the difference between a 60 and a 70 on their graph... I know for instance I HAVE handled a few cameras and looked at trading out my 7D for say, a D7000 before (Which has a supposedly better sensor) and i didnt find the files that much better than what my 7D does... I wasnt impressed enough with what I saw to warrant a switch...

Oh and yeah, the D800 is better than the 5D2/5D3 by miles to me..

Granted, Most of my old "Why I wont switch to Nikon" arguments are gone at this point, They have an 80-400 and a 70-200 f/4 VR now, The only one that now exists is simply that I do not feel like it, I dont feel like selling my gear off and buying a new camera right now...

Besides I still hold out maybe a little hope the 7D II will be better ;)

Where do you get that the D800 is better than the 5D3 by miles? I have the 5DIII and my brother has a D800, and we have done tons and I mean tons of testing trying to figure out which is the better camera. It is close, but we have both since agreed that although the D800 has excellent DR, the 5D3 is a better overall camera with better images. Even if you would choose the D800, it certainly is not "by miles" ... maybe you meant the 5D2 ... surely you know that the 5DIII is a totally different and dramatically more capable camera.

Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,455 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 29, 2013 15:42 |  #57

Hogloff wrote in post #16251010 (external link)

I'm guessing you meant "inferiority complex", but with "infuriority complex" you've just coined a perfect term for infuriated forum members ( not speaking of this thread or forum in particular ).

So this week I've learned about pop-stars that "twerk" and angry forum people with "infuriority complexes". :lol:

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 29, 2013 15:43 |  #58
bannedPermanent ban

spear wrote in post #16251090 (external link)
Where do you get that the D800 is better than the 5D3 by miles? I have the 5DIII and my brother has a D800, and we have done tons and I mean tons of testing trying to figure out which is the better camera. It is close, but we have both since agreed that although the D800 has excellent DR, the 5D3 is a better overall camera with better images. Even if you would choose the D800, it certainly is not "by miles" ... maybe you meant the 5D2 ... surely you know that the 5DIII is a totally different and dramatically more capable camera.

I thought we were just talking about image quality here. I found the image quality from the D800 was much better than what I got our of the 5D2. Now, this is a base ISO's which is where I shoot. Also, at base ISO, the image quality from the 5D3 and 5D2 are basically identical...did that test as well.

SpartanWarrior
401 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 29, 2013 15:44 |  #59

spear wrote in post #16251090 (external link)

+1 I have tried them out as well and my choice is the 5D III, DR is where it is only better.

Canon 5D III, EF 24-105 f4, EF 16-35 2.8 L II, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, EF 100 2.8 IS L, EF 2x III, EF 1.4x III, 500D 77mm close up filter, Kenko extension tubes set, SpeedLight 600 EX RT, Metz 58 AF-2, Pixel Kings, Benro C3780T Tripod, Benro G3 Ball Head.
www.chrisksphotography​.com (external link)

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 29, 2013 15:45 |  #60

So, in summary: a new Canon sensor with virtually no improvement in DR and low ISO performance, even after several years of stagnation (T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i all pretty much the same) and at least a couple years being significantly behind the competition. Just another sign, IMHO, that they simply don't care much about the landscape niche and are content marketing primarily to other segments.

Preparations for switching to a D600 are underway for this Canon loyalist since the 300D. It wouldn't surprise me at all if landscapers on this side of the fence who hold out another 2-3 years for the 6D/5D3 successors are ultimately greeted with a similar fate. Based on the responses in this thread, and many similar ones here recently, the lion's share of Canon users simply don't care much about DR, regardless of how far behind the pack they fall and for how long.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links

18,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
DxO assess the Canon 70D's sensor performance
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.