Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DxO assess the Canon 70D's sensor performance

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 31, 2013 02:37 |  #121

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16254582 (external link)
The 70D will be a killer when it comes to live view and movie recording, in no other way does it really seem all that revolutionary, as we have seen all its features on other cameras. The only absolute new thing added to this camera is its 40mpx sensor that can AF across 80% of the sensor when the mirror is up, everything else has already debuted elsewhere. It indeed is a very nice step up from the 60D however, that is sure, but not necessarily in the IQ department, but certainly in the features and function.

I'm not so sure if I agree with your understanding of the 70D's sensor. Base on my understanding of the Dual Pixel AF, you're not really getting a 40MP sensor where half of it is dedicated to PDAF. If that's the case, then each individual pixel will be very small (smaller than even the 60D's pixels). I could be wrong, but I don't think that's what DPR said in its explanation of the technology.

sponsored links
lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 31, 2013 02:38 |  #122

EL_PIC wrote in post #16254669 (external link)
Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way ..
Canon used to Lead.
Now they Follow.
Perhaps Get Out of the Way is next.

Well, to be fair to Canon, Dual Pixel AF is a pretty innovating feature. It's not like Canon have stopped innovating altogether.

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 31, 2013 02:40 |  #123

Mornnb wrote in post #16255278 (external link)
The lens team is leading. The sensor team appears to be asleep. However saying that, Canon is still ahead in high ISO noise. It's the dynamic range where no progress has been made. Nikon has a massive two stop advantage.

That's because Canon's sensors have less pixels. I'm not convinced that Nikon's high ISO algorithms is inferior to Canon's.

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 31, 2013 03:21 |  #124

NeonStar wrote in post #16255329 (external link)
Why not just do HDR?

In a sense you got it right, hdr does wonders.....as long as you dont overkill it.
And I got some real good pics that shows great DR with my 5D2
Some of my friends has nikon, and we all make great pics, if you know how to make it happen, in the end, you cant really tell the difference, unless you really want to pixel peak,
Lightroom does wonders too,
I could buy any stuff fron nikon, but gee, the feel is not for me, and some of the colors and feel is not as cool as canon, maybe someday......
What I really need is a greater AF, faster...specially when you want to pick up the camera and shoot in a fast situation.
I really like the 7d, but it was a little noisy to my taste, I hope the 70d will be better

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Aug 31, 2013 05:16 |  #125

SpartanWarrior wrote in post #16249611 (external link)
Do people actually wait for DxO Mark to buy a camera??? actually in real world use they are very close except DR, but then again who cares use your GND filters.

Yeah, because a GND-filter can be used for all situations and scenes. :rolleyes:

SpartanWarrior
401 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 31, 2013 05:21 |  #126

sega62 wrote in post #16255513 (external link)
In a sense you got it right, hdr does wonders.....as long as you dont overkill it.
And I got some real good pics that shows great DR with my 5D2
Some of my friends has nikon, and we all make great pics, if you know how to make it happen, in the end, you cant really tell the difference, unless you really want to pixel peak,
Lightroom does wonders too,
I could buy any stuff fron nikon, but gee, the feel is not for me, and some of the colors and feel is not as cool as canon, maybe someday......
What I really need is a greater AF, faster...specially when you want to pick up the camera and shoot in a fast situation.
I really like the 7d, but it was a little noisy to my taste, I hope the 70d will be better

I have seen pictures from a D800 with bracket shots were much better than going into ACR or Lightroom and trying to bring up underexposed images.

Canon 5D III, EF 24-105 f4, EF 16-35 2.8 L II, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, EF 100 2.8 IS L, EF 2x III, EF 1.4x III, 500D 77mm close up filter, Kenko extension tubes set, SpeedLight 600 EX RT, Metz 58 AF-2, Pixel Kings, Benro C3780T Tripod, Benro G3 Ball Head.
www.chrisksphotography​.com (external link)

iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 31, 2013 08:47 |  #127

lsquare wrote in post #16255485 (external link)
I just went through CR and one of the authors said his experience don't always agrees with what DxO says. lol! It's so stupid to even state that because while someone may not agree with DxO's assessment, that doesn't mean their numbers/assessment are inaccurate.

I don't have an opinion on the relevance of DxO's data, but there is another aspect to the argument - does their test method accurately represent real-world situations? I have no reason to doubt DxO's data, but the real question is does their data matter?

Having asked this, what does the panel say? Is this a reasonable test method? Reasonable measurements of the image? Image conditions taken under controlled circumstances to allow repeatable and comparable results?

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

maximus_73
297 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 31, 2013 09:08 |  #128

When was the last time you saw dxomark gave Canon sensor high marks vs Nikon?...... never

Cameras: Canon EOS M, FujiFilm X-T1| Lenses: FD 50mm 1.4, Fujinon 23mm 1.4, Fujinon 56 1.2, Zeiss 32mm 1.8

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 31, 2013 09:46 |  #129

iowajim wrote in post #16255941 (external link)
I don't have an opinion on the relevance of DxO's data, but there is another aspect to the argument - does their test method accurately represent real-world situations? I have no reason to doubt DxO's data, but the real question is does their data matter?

Having asked this, what does the panel say? Is this a reasonable test method? Reasonable measurements of the image? Image conditions taken under controlled circumstances to allow repeatable and comparable results?

Why don't you go and search it up for yourself if you don't believe what's already been addressed in the past?

Of course their data matter. In terms of DR, we know what the sensor is capable of. That's important stuff to know just like how some people value the importance of how long does it take a car to go from 0-60mph. If you don't care, then that's fine, but plenty of other people do. Just like how some people care whether their car takes 5 seconds to go from 0-60 while others are happy with a car that takes 9 seconds to go from 0-60.

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 31, 2013 09:47 |  #130

maximus_73 wrote in post #16255981 (external link)
When was the last time you saw dxomark gave Canon sensor high marks vs Nikon?...... never

Are you implying that there's a bias against Canon?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 31, 2013 10:14 |  #131

lsquare wrote in post #16255489 (external link)
I'm not so sure if I agree with your understanding of the 70D's sensor. Base on my understanding of the Dual Pixel AF, you're not really getting a 40MP sensor where half of it is dedicated to PDAF. If that's the case, then each individual pixel will be very small (smaller than even the 60D's pixels). I could be wrong, but I don't think that's what DPR said in its explanation of the technology.

I never said that 1/2 is dedicated to AF... I said that the sensor design was new, and its main advantage currently is its PDAF across most of the sensor now instead of dedicated AF points.

Also, there is a neat multi-quote feature, where you just click the +" button for all the replies you are about to make, then add your comments in between. I am sure it will even be better in the new forum software based on the whitepaper Pekka has issued.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,827 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 31, 2013 10:21 |  #132

buddie of mine got one
shot a game last night
this is real world shooting

https://www.facebook.c​om …73741837.527386​739&type=1 (external link)

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 31, 2013 10:27 |  #133

I would never use facebook as a medium for showing what a camera can do, they resize and recompress the images to fit their storage needs. Is he a member here on POTN and if so, could he just share full size links with intact exif, etc?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,827 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 31, 2013 10:35 |  #134

cool
I was just using it as an example
havent seen anyone post low light fast action pics

most seem to be landscape

just trying to add real world info
only place Ive found any so far

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 31, 2013 10:38 |  #135

lsquare wrote in post #16256046 (external link)
Why don't you go and search it up for yourself if you don't believe what's already been addressed in the past?

Thing is, I haven't seen a clear criticism of DxO's methods in this thread, just some anecdotal ramblings at best, and hot-heads poking each other at its worst. I was trying to encourage the discussion to go in a new direction.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

sponsored links

18,734 views & 0 likes for this thread
DxO assess the Canon 70D's sensor performance
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.