Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 02 Sep 2013 (Monday) 21:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are my images under exposed?

Salma
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 02, 2013 21:01 |  #1

Hi guys, I am really confused and was wondering if you guys can help me.

Recently I have put my laptops brightness up quite high and by doing that I think it is affecting my PP.

When I transfer images after PP from laptop to my phone I notice a lot of them are under exposed.

Can you please advise me if this is correct? How do you guys view these images on your laptop/desktop?

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5516/9661145386_c30b9a36a1_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/sitaraphotos/9​661145386/  (external link)
ZSL's tiger (external link) by SalmaAliPhotography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7362/9646852302_ee310616ca_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/sitaraphotos/9​646852302/  (external link)
The big cats of ZSL Whipsnade Zoo (external link) by SalmaAliPhotography (external link), on Flickr

Thanks in advance :D

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

sponsored links
mannetti21
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 02, 2013 21:06 |  #2

They both look fine to me. Are the histograms indicating proper exposure?

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 02, 2013 21:13 |  #3

mannetti21 wrote in post #16262705 (external link)
They both look fine to me. Are the histograms indicating proper exposure?

Hi thank you.

Yes but I don't understand why the images are under exposed on my iphone :/

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 02, 2013 21:18 |  #4

Salma wrote in post #16262719 (external link)
Hi thank you.

Yes but I don't understand why the images are under exposed on my iphone :/

They look fine on my screen. Check your iphone screen brightness. :)

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 02, 2013 21:19 |  #5

awesomeshots wrote in post #16262734 (external link)
Check your iphone screen brightness. :)

Omg, it was at it's lowest. Such a waste of thread :cry:

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 02, 2013 21:21 |  #6

Thanks awesomeshots, I can't believe how silly I am, normally my iphone brightness is auto and right now it's at it's dimmest. Weird :/

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 02, 2013 21:21 |  #7

Salma wrote in post #16262737 (external link)

Lol. :lol:

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 02, 2013 21:22 |  #8

Salma wrote in post #16262737 (external link)

Not completely ;)...... if you DO set the brightness of your laptop way up, it WILL affect the post processing of your images. You will think they are too bright, reduce the exposure and/or brightness, and they will look underexposed, especially if you print them.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 02, 2013 21:24 |  #9

sapearl wrote in post #16262744 (external link)
Not completely ;)...... if you DO set the brightness of your laptop way up, it WILL affect the post processing of your images. You will think they are too bright, reduce the exposure and/or brightness, and they will look underexposed, especially if you print them.

Thank you for that. I'm setting my brightness to average on my laptop and going to the opticians. :o

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,480 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 02, 2013 21:25 |  #10

First one appears slightly overexposed, if anything; the second one looks pretty dead on here.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 02, 2013 21:27 |  #11

Salma wrote in post #16262751 (external link)
Thank you for that. I'm setting my brightness to average on my laptop and going to the opticians. :o

Heheheehe....you are probably too young to need an optician. Images and colors often look more "attractive" on bright screens, especially in the computer and TV showrooms, so it's very tempting to crank up the brightness.

Since I do wedding work and a lot prints for competition, one of my best investments a while back was a screen calibrator.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 02, 2013 21:28 |  #12

Snydremark wrote in post #16262755 (external link)
First one appears slightly overexposed, if anything; the second one looks pretty dead on here.

Well, everyone else has said they're ok, let's see who else thinks the same as you, then maybe I can work on them.

Thanks.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 02, 2013 21:30 |  #13

sapearl wrote in post #16262758 (external link)
Heheheehe....you are probably too young to need an optician. Images and colors often look more "attractive" on bright screens, especially in the computer and TV showrooms, so it's very tempting to crank up the brightness.

Since I do wedding work and a lot prints for competition, one of my best investments a while back was a screen calibrator.

Oh I do. That's why I adjusted the brightness, I was squinting a lot. The annoying part about this whole thing is that i've never had this issue until now.

I want one :o

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,108 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 02, 2013 21:37 |  #14

I used this website http://www.lagom.nl/lc​d-test/ (external link) to "calibrate" my laptop screen. It isn't perfect but the brightness and contrast adjustments have made a huge difference in my post-processing. One thing you need to be careful with is your laptops mobility/power settings. I had to change the settings so that the laptop didn't automatically dim the screen based on battery level and/or if the power supply was plugged in.

By the way, GREAT shots on your Flickr!

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 02, 2013 21:49 |  #15

mannetti21 wrote in post #16262787 (external link)
I used this website http://www.lagom.nl/lc​d-test/ (external link) to "calibrate" my laptop screen. It isn't perfect but the brightness and contrast adjustments have made a huge difference in my post-processing. One thing you need to be careful with is your laptops mobility/power settings. I had to change the settings so that the laptop didn't automatically dim the screen based on battery level and/or if the power supply was plugged in.

By the way, GREAT shots on your Flickr!

Ah awesome thanks will check that website now. Yes, I definitely need to look at my laptop brightness settings and maybe also understand my iphones.

Aww thanking you, are they ok? Not over exposed are they? Lol!

sponsored links

1,650 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are my images under exposed?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.