Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Sep 2013 (Thursday) 00:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My T3i Healed Itself

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 05, 2013 00:32 |  #1

Here's the background of my story: I was on vacation, walking around outside and had my camera out. I got caught in a downpour and couldn't find shelter quick enough. I eventually made it back to my hotel and dried the camera off, and it seemed to work fine. A few hours later, I want to check the pictures I took and now it won't turn on. It just beeps when I switch it on and beeps twice if I press any buttons. I take the battery and card out overnight, and same problem in the morning. I figure the camera was toast.

Fast forward a few days to now, I'm home and getting everything ready to send the camera to Canon to hopefully have it repaired. As I'm about to box up the camera, I decide to try it one last time. I pop in a battery and try it. No response at all the first time. Then I realize I left the battery door open. I close it and switch it on again. It miraculously comes to life and it brings me to the date set up screen. I set the date and time, put in a card, and make several test shots. It seems to be recording everything to the card correctly, responding as expected when I press the shutter button, and otherwise functioning normally. I'm about to figure that I just got really lucky with this.

Now, my question is, how reliable is this camera now? It was water damaged to the point that it wouldn't function. I've had cheaper electronics that I've water damaged, but seem to work fine after they completely dry out. Is this camera very likely to malfunction on me again in the near future, or are my problems most likely behind me assuming I take care of the camera properly (and don't leave it out in rain again)? Should I still send it back to Canon regardless and have them fix it up, or just not worry about it and be more careful?

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

sponsored links
dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 05, 2013 01:21 |  #2

I don't think Canon can (or will) do anything to "fix" a water damaged camera.

If it's working now, the most likely long term damage will be corrosion. If it's dried out inside, then there's not much you can do about it now. Enjoy using the camera until it dies.

Cheers, Damien

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 05, 2013 19:51 as a reply to  @ dodgyexposure's post |  #3

Right. At this point there is no telling what long-term damage has occurred. Once the water gets onto anything electrical, corrosion will begin. This could be a matter of days, months, or even years depending on exactly where the water was, how much water was there, and what impurities may have been in that water.

But, unless you are shooting jobs as a pro, there's no need to rush out and replace it. There is little Canon can do in regards to service. It's definitely not covered under warranty. So just enjoy it until it quits working. And please do us all a favor and don't sell it to someone. :-P

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,278 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 05, 2013 21:30 |  #4

dodgyexposure wrote in post #16269332 (external link)
I don't think Canon can (or will) do anything to "fix" a water damaged camera. .

Canon will not do anything to fix a SALT water damaged camera!

Fresh water (distilled) does not itself carry corrosive chemical salts; maybe calcium or other things in tap water that spot glassware. Pool water is not 'fresh water' per se...it has chlorine and possibly other buffering chemicals added. River/lake/ocean/well water carries lots of dissolved mineral salts

A good dip in distilled/de-ionized water would have been good to do, right after the original dunking, followed perhaps by a pure alcohol dunk to absorb residual water.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 06, 2013 03:09 |  #5

Rain water is close to distilled. It may have gathered some impurities as it came down, especially if it was rain in Hong Kong, Tokyo or L.A., but if the OP was vacationing at Aspen it should have been pretty clean.

Elie / אלי

Wilt
44,278 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 06, 2013 09:56 |  #6

tzalman wrote in post #16272316 (external link)
Rain water is close to distilled. It may have gathered some impurities as it came down, especially if it was rain in Hong Kong, Tokyo or L.A., but if the OP was vacationing at Aspen it should have been pretty clean.

OTOH, the pH of rainwater is about 5.6 (mildly acidic) because of carbon dioxide dissolved in the atmosphere. This CO2 reacts with water vapor in the atmosphere for the following reaction:

CO2 + H2O ---> H2CO3 (carbonic acid)

then that dissociates: H2CO3 ---> H+ + HCO3- (bicarbonate ion)

the bicarbonate ion can then dissociate: HCO3- ---> H+ + CO3- (carbonate).

Note the two Hydrogen ions...what makes things acidic.
I have even read that in more recent years, in 2009, rainwater has a pH between 4.3 and 5.6, even more acidic. In some areas of the United States, the pH of rainwater can be 3.0 or lower. Acid precipitation in the range of 4.2-5.0 has been recorded in most of the Eastern United States and Canada. A large increase in the concentration of NO and SO2 significantly affects the pH of rainwater.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 06, 2013 16:16 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #16273034 (external link)
OTOH, the pH of rainwater is about 5.6 (mildly acidic) because of carbon dioxide dissolved in the atmosphere. This CO2 reacts with water vapor in the atmosphere for the following reaction:

CO2 + H2O ---> H2CO3 (carbonic acid)

then that dissociates: H2CO3 ---> H+ + HCO3- (bicarbonate ion)

the bicarbonate ion can then dissociate: HCO3- ---> H+ + CO3- (carbonate).

Note the two Hydrogen ions...what makes things acidic.
I have even read that in more recent years, in 2009, rainwater has a pH between 4.3 and 5.6, even more acidic. In some areas of the United States, the pH of rainwater can be 3.0 or lower. Acid precipitation in the range of 4.2-5.0 has been recorded in most of the Eastern United States and Canada. A large increase in the concentration of NO and SO2 significantly affects the pH of rainwater.

Nice work. For those unfamiliar, deionized water has a PH of 7. Anything lower is more acidic. Anything higher is alkaline. Both ends of the spectrum will encourage corrosion. I would never count on rainwater being "pure" by any means as it grabs other crap from the atmosphere as the drops form.

mcarol
49 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 06, 2013 16:18 |  #8

I was told there would be no math...
Sorry - couldn't resist. carry on...

Hi. I'm Mona, and this is my gear:

Canon Rebel T3i with kit lens (18-55); Canon 50mm 1.8 (Nifty Fifty, indeed!); Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non-VC); Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS.
Canon G12

I'm just starting out, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 06, 2013 18:53 |  #9

mcarol wrote in post #16274196 (external link)

nice. bw!

Wilt
44,278 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 06, 2013 19:15 |  #10

mcarol wrote in post #16274196 (external link)

My wife teaches kindergarten. They learn to count to 100. pH only takes counting to 14 (I will admit that one needs to understand decimals) :)

mcarol
49 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 06, 2013 21:25 |  #11

Allow me to rephrase:
I was told there would be no science. ;)

Hi. I'm Mona, and this is my gear:

Canon Rebel T3i with kit lens (18-55); Canon 50mm 1.8 (Nifty Fifty, indeed!); Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non-VC); Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS.
Canon G12

I'm just starting out, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

Darwyn
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 06, 2013 22:21 as a reply to  @ mcarol's post |  #12

For what it's worth, I road around with a GPS on my motorcycle all the time. Covered it with a plastic baggie, but sometimes in nasty weather it would still get wet. The first time it happened water got into the screen, and I figured it was toast.

I let it dry for a couple of days and the screen was fine. That was years ago, it still works. I would wager you will want a new camera for the technology before it dies from water damage. Of course I would try not to repeat that experiment ...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 07, 2013 04:33 |  #13

Use the dang camera! But it may need to be replaced!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 08, 2013 18:56 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #16274661 (external link)
My wife teaches kindergarten. They learn to count to 100. pH only takes counting to 14 (I will admit that one needs to understand decimals) :)

. . . except that pH is a log scale, so understanding decimals may create more confusion than clarity! :)

Cheers, Damien

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,414 posts
Gallery: 222 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 08, 2013 19:10 as a reply to  @ dodgyexposure's post |  #15

I've heard that if you pee on it...

Oh, wait... that's for jellyfish stings.

Carry on.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links

1,733 views & 0 likes for this thread
My T3i Healed Itself
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.