Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Sep 2013 (Thursday) 22:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

File Corruption

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 05, 2013 22:28 |  #1

I've admittedly been a bit absent from these forums for quite some time, but I have a quick poll of opinions for the knowledgeable lot of you. Having already cleared the cards and used them for other work, I encountered a strange block of purple artifacts on one photo during editing. With the other three hundred or so images taken before and after it unaffected, I'm wondering what caused this issue.

When viewed at 100%, it manifests itself as a one-pixel deeply saturated alternating gray and purple layer over the image underneath. For some reason, uploading it to photobucket and resizing it has lessened the color intensity of the distortion.

Is this the first signs of one of my CF cards failing, or was it an error during the writing process from the camera or the transfer to my computer? Considering photos taken afterwards are perfectly fine, I'm assuming it isn't a sensor issue. I had my ST-E3 off for the shot, so I don't think it's a matter of RF interference.

As I wasn't planning on using the shot in the album, it's not a huge loss for me, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon and whether I should get in the habit of writing to the CF and SD cards concurrently if there's an impending card failure on the horizon for me. Thanks for any opinions and/or insight!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i139.photobucke​t.com/albums/q295/alt4​852/001.jpg (external link)

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

sponsored links
joellelee
265 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 05, 2013 22:38 |  #2

I just posted a similar question! I have the very same coloring on two of my images and am unable to convert about 50 or so RAW from my wedding...I believe due to corruption? They show as downloaded RAW on my zoombrowser BUT will not convert/upload into LR...Hope someone will help us asap!

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,478 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 06, 2013 02:31 |  #3

Probably failed sector(s) on the card, possibly faults in usb cable, card reader or hard drive. If it's card failure, your screwed, but it's worth trying other hardware to be sure.

Maybe the embedded jpgs are okay even though the Raw data is corrupt. It might be possible to recover them. Try this: http://michaeltapesdes​ign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw.html (external link)

Elie / אלי

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 06, 2013 03:01 |  #4

Nothing whatever to do with you question, but I am amused by how sheepish the new husband looks. Like a lamb to the slaughter?

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

alt4852
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 06, 2013 08:21 |  #5

joellelee wrote in post #16271923 (external link)
I just posted a similar question! I have the very same coloring on two of my images and am unable to convert about 50 or so RAW from my wedding...I believe due to corruption? They show as downloaded RAW on my zoombrowser BUT will not convert/upload into LR...Hope someone will help us asap!

I'm sorry to hear about your issue, and it sounds much more serious than what I have experienced as mine only affected one file. Best of luck with resolving it, and hopefully you'll find a solution to it soon!

tzalman wrote in post #16272281 (external link)
Probably failed sector(s) on the card, possibly faults in usb cable, card reader or hard drive. If it's card failure, your screwed, but it's worth trying other hardware to be sure.

Maybe the embedded jpgs are okay even though the Raw data is corrupt. It might be possible to recover them. Try this: http://michaeltapesdes​ign.com/instant-jpeg-from-raw.html (external link)

Yea, that's what I'm worried might be the case. To be safe, I think I'll start writing to both CF and SD instead of using it as spillover insurance, and it'll give me more incentive to upgrade my other 5D2 as well. :p

Image data integrity doesn't sound like it's a major risk factor until you experience an issue. I would replace that card immediately if I knew which one it was (I have since formatted them to use for other assignments), but I think building redundancy might be the best course of action for me.

Lowner wrote in post #16272303 (external link)
Nothing whatever to do with you question, but I am amused by how sheepish the new husband looks. Like a lamb to the slaughter?

Yes, there was definitely a personality imbalance between the two. As they had been a couple for close to a decade though, I think they complement each other very well. I did have the challenge of making him smile though, as his sheepish demeanor was just his natural state. Sometimes, photography feels like an exercise in my social skills rather than my artistic abilities. ;)

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 06, 2013 08:29 |  #6

alt4852 wrote in post #16272746 (external link)
Sometimes, photography feels like an exercise in my social skills rather than my artistic abilities. ;)

I've found to be true no matter what business you are in. I was an RYA Yachtmaster Instructor for 14 years and the night before the practical exam I have had to deal with students (grown adults) in tears.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

N2bnfunn
727 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 18, 2014 00:51 |  #7

First of all I would like to say you did a great job, because as wide as that woman is, I would have thought I only way to get a wide shoot of her would have been with the hubble telescope.. Ok just kidding I found out using nothing but scan disk extreme card I have not problems.

alt4852 wrote in post #16271900 (external link)
I've admittedly been a bit absent from these forums for quite some time, but I have a quick poll of opinions for the knowledgeable lot of you. Having already cleared the cards and used them for other work, I encountered a strange block of purple artifacts on one photo during editing. With the other three hundred or so images taken before and after it unaffected, I'm wondering what caused this issue.

When viewed at 100%, it manifests itself as a one-pixel deeply saturated alternating gray and purple layer over the image underneath. For some reason, uploading it to photobucket and resizing it has lessened the color intensity of the distortion.

Is this the first signs of one of my CF cards failing, or was it an error during the writing process from the camera or the transfer to my computer? Considering photos taken afterwards are perfectly fine, I'm assuming it isn't a sensor issue. I had my ST-E3 off for the shot, so I don't think it's a matter of RF interference.

As I wasn't planning on using the shot in the album, it's not a huge loss for me, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon and whether I should get in the habit of writing to the CF and SD cards concurrently if there's an impending card failure on the horizon for me. Thanks for any opinions and/or insight!

QUOTED IMAGE

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

RodneyCyr
637 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 18, 2014 15:16 |  #8

On cameras with only one memory card, this might be an argument for shooting with both RAW and JPG enabled. This will not protect against total card failure, but it would protect against a problem recording either image.

Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 10-22EFs, 15-85EFS IS, Sigma 18-300, Canon 60mm EFs Macro, Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 550EX flash, Olympus TG2 underwater P&S
Postprocessing: DxOLabs, DxO Viewpoint 3, Paint Shop Pro X9
Speak softly and carry a big zoom.

walkien
822 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Apr 20, 2014 18:55 as a reply to  @ RodneyCyr's post |  #9

this happens to me too. there's nothing wrong with my CF cards, I always double check my files after they are downloaded to my hard drive, then I make a copy to my NAS drives and a back up copy to DVDs. Recently, I try to re-edit some files from my hard drive and found out there are couples of corrupted files in there :(, some of them are scanned files from my scanner.

Canon 1D Mark II N, Canon 5D Mark II with grip, Canon 7D II with grip, Canon 10D with grip, broken Canon G2. 28-135 mm IS, 50 mm F1.8 II, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 70-200 f4 L, 85 f1.8, 100 macro 2.8 IS
420 EX/580 EX/580EXII, 2 600 EX-RT, Bogen 3321 tripod
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, 2 Alien Bees b800, 60" umbrella, large octogon softboxes LightSphere II, Omnibounce. Tronix Explorer 1200, pocket wizard

sponsored links

1,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
File Corruption
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.