Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 09 Sep 2013 (Monday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tracking mount (Barn door)

967stuart
50 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 09, 2013 04:57 |  #1

Has anyone successfully made a motor driven Barn Door tracking mount?

I've seen a few spec sheets on the net, but really, they are not very good a detailing what needs doing or what parts to use etc.

sponsored links
the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 09, 2013 12:17 |  #2

967stuart wrote in post #16280877 (external link)
Has anyone successfully made a motor driven Barn Door tracking mount?

I've seen a few spec sheets on the net, but really, they are not very good a detailing what needs doing or what parts to use etc.

HERE (external link) is a good article, see if this can help.

rfdesigner
147 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 09, 2013 16:01 as a reply to  @ the jimmy's post |  #3

I've built a couple of mount tracking systems.. including the one supporting my 12" (dual stepper drive)

If you find yourself scratching you head over any detail, especially electronic, drop me a PM, I can't guarantee I'll have an answer but there's always a chance.

Derek

30D, 18~55mm, 100mmf2.0, various Praktica, Atik 383L+ mono & filter wheel, 12" imaging telescope

967stuart
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 10, 2013 01:45 |  #4

Thanks guys.

967stuart
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 10, 2013 01:59 |  #5

Got one (probably silly) question...

I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that it needs to be polar aligned, Can anyone explain to me the reason for this?

Is this to just get the mount in the correct position? then I can swivel the camera to where I'd like to photograph?

Steve ­ Winterton
38 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 10, 2013 03:41 as a reply to  @ 967stuart's post |  #6

The purpose of the barn door is to compensate for the earth's rotation.

To achieve this the barn door needs to be precisely aligned to the rotational axis of the earth. The celestial poles are the rotational axis indicators.

Once the barn door is polar aligned, you can point the camera in any direction you like.

http://www.clarkvision​.com …barn.door.track​ing.mount/ (external link)

ETA

http://homepages.nildr​am.co.uk …oor%20NCP%20ali​gnment.htm (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 10, 2013 03:47 |  #7

The hinge should point to the polar star, meaning that the hinge is aiming in the same direction as the axis earth is rotating around.

This allows the barn door to open (or close), creating a rotation that can negate the rotation of earth. There is a big offset error since the barn door and camera is a long way from the center of the earth, but for other stars this distance doesn't matter because of the huge distance to the stars.

So in the end - by having the barn door polar-aligned, you can cancel out the earth spin around its own axis and thereby stop the star field from looking like it is spinning around. The earth rotation around the sun will still happen but the distance that earth moves in an hour is still small compared to the distance to the stars. It's just the spin around it's own axis that must be cancelled out.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

967stuart
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 10, 2013 04:03 |  #8

Ah I see, thanks folks.
There's a lot to learn!

It's turning into a real head scratcher as none of these guides really go into great detail.. as in - motors to use.. how to power them etc. (as not everyone has a working knowledge of circuitry, gearing and soldering! lol)

I'm really surprised someone hasn't put together a 'hobby kit' to sell on ebay or something.
Surly there is a market for this type of thing.

967stuart
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 10, 2013 04:06 |  #9

*If by some miracle I manage to put this thing together (and it actually works) I will do 'dummys' guide, with links to motors, parts etc..

Steve ­ Winterton
38 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 10, 2013 04:23 as a reply to  @ 967stuart's post |  #10

967stuart,

have you looked at this website?

http://www.garyseronik​.com/?q=node/52 (external link)

967stuart
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 10, 2013 05:05 |  #11

I have thanks Steve, it's a helpful guide, plus there's a proper parts guide!
Will order up some bits and see how I get on

alliben
325 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 10, 2013 12:43 |  #12

I too was interested in a barn door tracker and in my research came across these sites, from the same gentleman.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=2H3JDUzTksE (external link)

http://www.flickr.com …r/sets/72157632​174760809/ (external link)

He's very knowledgeable, loves to talk about star trackers, and I believe he may have some components for sale.

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,816 posts
Gallery: 637 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 10, 2013 14:26 |  #13

Ive been wanting to build one of these recently (without a motor). I will give that a go first to see the results. Would be interested in your "how to" if you build a motorised one

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

967stuart
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 11, 2013 03:11 |  #14

alliben wrote in post #16285182 (external link)
I too was interested in a barn door tracker and in my research came across these sites, from the same gentleman.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=2H3JDUzTksE (external link)

http://www.flickr.com …r/sets/72157632​174760809/ (external link)

He's very knowledgeable, loves to talk about star trackers, and I believe he may have some components for sale.

That's awesome thanks.
Following on some of his links, it does indeed look like he sells some of the parts.
I've already purchased some parts (from ebay) so will see how I get on, if it doesn't pan out, I will look to get some parts from him.

967stuart
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 11, 2013 03:52 |  #15

Looking into the parts that guy sells, he seems to be using a stepper motor which needs a circuit board to 'pulse' to give the correct 1rpm....

I've been looking down a different path.
I was looking to be buying a small voltage motor and use a power control to throttle back the rotations... I'm not sure if these power adjusters are that good that they could pull it back sufficiently ?!?

Got a feeling that whether I like it or not, I'm going to be learning a lot about motors and electronics.

sponsored links

10,597 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tracking mount (Barn door)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.