Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 09 Sep 2013 (Monday) 10:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-5D-Mark-III- For 2550

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 17, 2013 15:32 |  #31

photography By Evangelos wrote in post #16300094 (external link)
Man they sold 500 of these cameras, If dealers like this can sell NEW non USA models why are we paying soo much more for a red USA card when the body is the same? $950 more for a the little red warranty card seems like a bit much. What am I missing?

About a year ago Canon started to enforce Minimum Advertised Pricing.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=3304 (external link)

This makes it easier for stores with higher overhead to compete, there were many Authorized dealers that had this camera for far less than it's current MAP. That hurt used market values and added disequilibrium amongst the Canon dealers. Now it's a huge deal to find a camera or lens at or near a price it was 18 months ago. Some of those dealers with lower overhead (it's in the costs of running the business some are B&M stores, others are online only but it's not mutually exclusive) are trying to get around MAP by adding in other items to bundles, so you're at least getting more for your money, but still having to shell out the MAP; regardless of the value of the bundled items to you.

I think in the end the winner of Canon MAP though, is going to ultimately be the high volume sales non-authorized dealers with low overhead, selling at the once going rate for a 5D3, and making a killing because it's now viewed as a rare deal.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
HUNGWAY
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 17, 2013 17:49 |  #32

bps wrote in post #16304446 (external link)
As for serial numbers, Big Value (or the source they import them from) has been known to affix counterfeit serial number stickers to the bottom of the camera bodies they sell. Bryan

"Has been known to affix counterfeit" ====> Can you prove it?
Cause recently I bought (1ea) 6D & 24-105 and (1ea) 5D Mrk3, another 24-105 .

Regards
Hungway

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 17, 2013 19:00 |  #33

HUNGWAY wrote in post #16304863 (external link)
"Has been known to affix counterfeit" ====> Can you prove it?

That would be up to this guy, he's the one that received a Canon 5D Mark III about 1-2 months ago with a fake serial number. (Or you can judge for yourself.)

The thread can be found by clicking here (external link). You'll need to scroll down quite aways, or look for the response by "MacroMike" in the threaded view. I'll quote his text below, but you'll need to go to the actual thread to see the picture of the fake serial number that was on his camera.

There's no thumbs up coming from me. I ordered one of these $2500 Canon 5Dmk3's from BigValueInc. LOOK CLOSER, it has a FAKE SERIAL NUMBER.

I ordered the camera assuming it was "grey market", i.e. coming from another market, and hence I'm not paying for the North American Canon warranty program, what I got was a 'black market' camera, with a photocopied serial number.

I spoke about this with Canon directly. Not only will Canon not cover warranty on the camera that BigValueInc sent me, but they would not even repair it for a fee. Simply put, they would not touch the thing if I ever sent it in for service.

I am trying to recover my money, but despite returning well within BVI's stated return time, and them agreeing to fully refund me, the refund never came through. Now I am relying on Ebay buyer protection to recover my losses. What a nightmare!

That's the most recent incident. Combine that, with some of our very own POTN members getting ripped off or receiving the run-around, and the fact that the folks that own BVI also owned the infamous Broadway camera (which the State of New York shut down), and that's enough for me to cringe when I see folks wanting to jump on the bandwagon without doing much research. But hey, it's their money!

If the price is too good to be true, there is almost always an underlying reason why and it usually isn't very pretty.

Bryan

My Gear List

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 17, 2013 19:05 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #34

Eh, their positives outweigh the negatives. I won't necessarily scratch them off the list. I bought my 5D3 from them when they had that smoking deal. It came in Brand New, USA warranty and was registered to Canon at the time for warranty purposes with no issues.

This has been an ongoing topic here. BVI gets tons of cameras from different sources. Some USA Market, Some gray market. That fake serial # received by that poor soul appears to be the ONLY confirmed report out there.

knk1314
192 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 23, 2013 06:56 |  #35

The deal is back $2549.99

http://www.ebay.com …meras&hash=item​53fe270fef (external link)

[Canon 7D] <420EX> {EF-S 18-135/ 28-135/ 50mm f1.4/ 24-105L / 135L}
{Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM}

Asterisk
890 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 23, 2013 07:39 |  #36

According to cpw (external link) in the last sale most people got US warranty cards and one person (that they know of) got a Japanese warranty card.

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 23, 2013 10:35 |  #37

My guess is it just depends on the distributor that Big Value buys from whether you get US warranty, Intl. warranty or a fake serial #.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

photography ­ By ­ Evangelos
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 23, 2013 11:47 as a reply to  @ BufordFZ1's post |  #38

With the Canon Referb sale and CLP program you can get one at a better price with 1year USA warranty (depending on stock) that's what I did love this camera.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,372 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 23, 2013 12:17 |  #39

photography By Evangelos wrote in post #16318650 (external link)
With the Canon Referb sale and CLP program you can get one at a better price with 1year USA warranty (depending on stock) that's what I did love this camera.

This!

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Jesse ­ Webb
904 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 23, 2013 23:45 |  #40

photography By Evangelos wrote in post #16318650 (external link)

Tax makes it more expensive in many states, its a refurb (not new - last refurb I got had thousand of shutter clicks) and no box (people make a big deal out of those for some reason). Not saying one deal is better or worse... just pointing out the downsides to the refurbs. Both deals seem pretty dang good.

jessewebbphotography.c​om (external link)
Leica M9 | CV 35/1.2 II | 90 Summicron

photography ­ By ­ Evangelos
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 24, 2013 01:43 as a reply to  @ Jesse Webb's post |  #41

Mine had zero shutter clicks looks brand new and had a nice white box that says Canon not the stock box but a box none the less. For me the one year warranty is worth the price and yea wish I could have avoided the taxes.

sponsored links

4,031 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS-5D-Mark-III- For 2550
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.