Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Sep 2013 (Monday) 15:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

580exII HSS off camera in ettl

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 09, 2013 15:16 |  #1

Using the 580exII on a Canon 50D off camera ettl mode with Yongnuo YN622-c transceivers. Camera in manual but 580exII in ettl. Why does the flash go into HSS automatically when I am shooting manual and have my manual exposure set, shutter speed at flash sync of 250, or even set below in some cases. I have a FEC of -2 but that doesn't show up on my flash, it just automatically goes into HSS even though I am at or below flash sync speed.

Is it the flash or me.

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,919 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 09, 2013 15:44 |  #2

Does it do that if you put the flash on the camera without the transceiver?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

windpig
Chopped liver
14,913 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 09, 2013 15:52 |  #3

You may get more response by rewording a new post that has YN622Cs in the subject line.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2013 16:14 |  #4

1. Re-set both 622cs using [CH SET] + [GP SET]. (P.7 of TOYUG.) You may have the 622C on Mix mode.

2. 50D in M exposure mode if you want.

3. 50D's Flash control menus set to E-TTL mode, 1st Curtain sync.

4. Don't make settings on the 580EXII.

5. After checking that this is working with the flash showing changes, then use 50D menus to change to Manual flash mode and test.

6. Are you sure that HSS is being applied? How - the EXIF data?

7. FEC is part of E-TTL. It is not available in Manual flash.

A good grasp of Canon protocols is needed to make good use of the YN-622C. Try reading the TOYUG pdf - link is in my signature.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 09, 2013 16:14 |  #5

digital paradise wrote in post #16282497 (external link)
Does it do that if you put the flash on the camera without the transceiver?

Nope, it stays normal.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 09, 2013 16:16 |  #6

CliveyBoy wrote in post #16282582 (external link)
1. Re-set both 622cs using [CH SET] + [GP SET]. (P.7 of TOYUG.) You may have the 622C on Mix mode.

2. 50D in M exposure mode if you want.

3. 50D's Flash control menus set to E-TTL mode, 1st Curtain sync.

4. Don't make settings on the 580EXII.

5. After checking that this is working with the flash showing changes, then use 50D menus to change to Manual flash mode and test.

6. Are you sure that HSS is being applied? How - the EXIF data?

7. FEC is part of E-TTL. It is not available in Manual flash.

A good grasp of Canon protocols is needed to make good use of the YN-622C. Try reading the TOYUG pdf - link is in my signature.

Only the camera is in Manual mode, flash is in ettl (answer in #7)
I'll try the rest.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,913 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 09, 2013 16:16 |  #7

Hmm, I guess no need to repost. I didn't realize what a flash question bot cliveboy is:lol:

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 09, 2013 17:46 as a reply to  @ CliveyBoy's post |  #8

Reset all 3 of them but on 1 of them, CH1 stays lit all the time, it will not go off.

ETTL set in camera flash mode (not manual because I am shooting ettl, not manual)

HSS automatically displayed but works at all speeds, flash sync is 250 so it works at shutter 320 or 15 and it is being applied above 250. HSS should not be displayed automatically should it?

trigger has both light (CH and GRP flashing on and off when pressing shutter down half way. But on the transceiver, receiver end, CH1 does not flash, stays lit but appears to be working.

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,257 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 09, 2013 19:00 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #9

The transmitter's channel lamp remains lit if the transmitter is in mix mode, allowing one to set (on the flash itself) individual slaves to different modes. If the receiver's channel LED is lit, that locks out flash head zoom changes that normally occur with changes in focal length or zoom settings set in the flash menu.

If the flash is set to auto-zoom and the receiver's CH LED is lit, the flash head will follow the lens but will not respond to zoom changes in the camera's menu. Manual zoom changes can be made on the flash without interference from the camera.

Mix mode on the transmitter and zoom lockout on the receiver can be cancelled by holding down the CH SET button for a few seconds.

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2013 19:09 |  #10

Place the 622 with always-on CH indicator on-camera, and hold CH.

See p.9 of TOYUG - link in my signature. TOYUG - "The Other YN-622C User Guide"! It's all in there.

I think you are mistaking the pre-flash command codes with HSS. You can tell if HSS works by looking at the photo - if over X-sync and using a flash and there is no "dark bar", HSS is working. The EXIF data in your image will confirm.

HSS symbol on the flash indicate enabled, but not necessarily invoked - the camera decides that.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 09, 2013 20:38 |  #11

Ok great. Thanks everyone. I did another reset and the CH1 light is no longer lit. Thank you CliveyBoy for clarifying that. It was probably doing it all along but I just noticed it.

sponsored links

1,313 views & 0 likes for this thread
580exII HSS off camera in ettl
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.