Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 00:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Auto Lighting Optimizer

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 11, 2013 00:22 |  #1

Canon 1DX Auto Lighting Optimizer I have always had mine disable, but I have been reading some good things on this feature ... Anyone using it ...and if s on what type of photo does it work best..

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 11, 2013 02:14 |  #2

It works best under changing conditions when you are in a hurry. It decreases the need for clever light metering, exposure compensation and variations to the picture style in order to handle situations where exposure and contrast (too much or too little) makes photography a bit more difficult than the average.

You can achieve the same by shooting in RAW and fiddling with your pictures in post processing, and sometimes by thinking more before you shoot, which implies more careful metering (perhaps even multispot) and testing a few shots, to see how they come out.

But if you can't afford that kind of working method, but just need images that are reasonable in the blink of an eye, then try ALO. According to Canon, it was implemented as an answer to requests from sports photo journalists, who wanted useful images quicker than their competitors, and jpegs, so they could be sent electronically in a reasonable way. In order to make it to the frontpages faster than anybody else's photos, of course.

Anders

YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 11, 2013 07:14 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I tried ALO. It works when you need it. It gets in the way if you have it turned on when you don't need it. Sometimes hugely. I got tired of turning ALO on/off. Putting it on your MYMENU can help. All it does is boost exposure in the shadows by adding +EC, then bringing down the highlights. You'll get better results shooting raw, +1 (depending) EC, and pulling down the highlights in post, if necessary. ALO ruined more shots when it was on and not needed than it ever helped with.

Dedicated APS-c shooter. Gripped 60D, 60 2.8, 10-22, 15-85, Σ70-200 OS and a big white something or other! Plus a 5D w/28-75.

N2bnfunn
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 11, 2013 11:34 |  #4

Ok and thanks that makes sense....

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 11, 2013 17:25 |  #5

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16287430 (external link)
I tried ALO. It works when you need it. It gets in the way if you have it turned on when you don't need it. Sometimes hugely. I got tired of turning ALO on/off. Putting it on your MYMENU can help. All it does is boost exposure in the shadows by adding +EC, then bringing down the highlights. You'll get better results shooting raw, +1 (depending) EC, and pulling down the highlights in post, if necessary. ALO ruined more shots when it was on and not needed than it ever helped with.

Thanks. I've often wondered what ALO did.

Cheers, Damien

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,440 views & 0 likes for this thread
Auto Lighting Optimizer
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.