Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Sep 2013 (Saturday) 14:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Product Photography Pricing? How much do I charge?

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
421 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 14, 2013 14:21 |  #1

I was approached to take product photography shots (clothing line). I'm wondering what is the average charge these days? Do I charge per photograph, per look, or per hour?

From what I've seen, $15 per photo seems to be average, but I'm wondering if that changed.

Looking for suggestions.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 14, 2013 15:39 |  #2

$15? Wow... It's been years since I've done this kind of work, but I was approached by a national mail order catalog business to shoot their food items for a Christmas catalog back in the mid 90's. One thing led to another and we started shooting a bunch of other things for them as well, including lots of lay down flat clothing. We negotiated a price per photo (inclusive of everything) that was in the vicinity of $350.00. Some pictures went quickly while others took longer, but our goal was about 10 a day.

I guess things have changed.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 14, 2013 17:41 as a reply to  @ Foodguy's post |  #3

Wow $15 a photo... I suspect the subset of information you have looked at this far is generally low end product photography. At $15 per shot, I suppose that would be barely ok, if you didn't have to factor in the super lengthy set up time for each shot.

I can't even set up my lighting in 30 minutes. Let alone my lighting AND camera.

Just to troll a little bit, I hear food guy still uses phosphor powder for his flash. Hand mixed. And I saw your thread over at getdpi looks like its almost time to step up to a modern setup. :p you know, something with a screen and buttons?

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 14, 2013 17:45 |  #4

i've seen some guys setup to do catalog shots... if the 3 of them aren't doing 20-30 an hour, they aren't making money...

of course, everything the shoot is small, and fits in their preset setup, so it's an assembly line for product photography...

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 14, 2013 17:50 |  #5

pyrojim wrote in post #16296549 (external link)
I hear food guy still uses phosphor powder for his flash. Hand mixed. And I saw your thread over at getdpi looks like its almost time to step up to a modern setup. :p you know, something with a screen and buttons?

I love the smell of phosphor powder in the morning. Reminds me of...

...something, but I'm too old to remember.

<if it ain't broke...> :lol:

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

bikfoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Alexander the Wannabe
421 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 15, 2013 21:56 |  #6

pyrojim wrote in post #16296549 (external link)
Wow $15 a photo... I suspect the subset of information you have looked at this far is generally low end product photography. At $15 per shot, I suppose that would be barely ok, if you didn't have to factor in the super lengthy set up time for each shot.

I can't even set up my lighting in 30 minutes. Let alone my lighting AND camera.

Just to troll a little bit, I hear food guy still uses phosphor powder for his flash. Hand mixed. And I saw your thread over at getdpi looks like its almost time to step up to a modern setup. :p you know, something with a screen and buttons?

The client wants to put his products on the website. It would be a clothing type of website. No large prints or anything. Just the product photography for the website. I suspect I can quickly scare them away with a $5,000 fee for one day shoot. That's why I was wondering if it's common to charge per photograph or per look or even per my day of shooting.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 16, 2013 01:14 |  #7

Check out what other product photographers in your area are charging :

http://www.productphot​ographylosangeles.com/​photography-pricing.html (external link)

http://www.robgreer.co​m …hotographer-pricing.shtml (external link)

bradttu
548 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 16, 2013 09:08 as a reply to  @ Nightstalker's post |  #8

I charge $150/hr for all commercial photography, regardless of intended use.

Facebook (external link)| Website (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/bradstillwellphotog​raphy (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,456 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 16, 2013 09:52 as a reply to  @ bradttu's post |  #9

to borrow/paraphrase a phrase from another board member, anyone can illuminate a subject, not everyone can light a subject.

if all you are doing is bouncing a flash off the ceiling onto a table, you might be able to do okay with 15 bucks an image. I can see a scenario where you could do an image every minute or two. If you just plan on handing over jpgs without any sort of color correction, you'd be doing well, at least financially. However, I can't imagine it would be something to put in your portfolio.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 16, 2013 14:27 |  #10

Are you shooting them posed with people? on a mannequin? Flat on the table?

Will you have an assistant to help you with the staging and/or lighting?

How long do you expect to setup each image? How many angles do you need of each shirt?

Is the fee per frame shot? per image supplied to the client? or per image used? Do you understand how these differ?

If the client says you missed a shot and asks you to re-shoot 1 image, do they only have to pay you $15?

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

rdgphoto2010
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 24, 2013 02:16 |  #11

I have recently been asked to photograph 300 campsites in an RV park for them to use the images on their virtual website. I am a semi-professional (meaning I have been paid for different projects) but I don't make a living with my photography.

My question is: How much would I charge for this type of work. I've previously only shot sports and portraits. They just want eye level images of each site so when viewed on their website a person can see what the surrounding area is and how big the site is. There would be no printing involved nor editing I doubt either. These images would be put on disc only for them. My time would involve just getting the right angle for each site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,447 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 24, 2013 02:35 |  #12

bikfoto, there are three kinds of product photography:

1. Drop & Shoot: your standard place-on-table, light and shoot job. Assembly-line style, if you will. One product after another, lighting doesn't really change, you just make minor adjustments when you change the subject. Think of a bottle of perfume on a light table: record shot. No frills.

2. Beauty shot: still life mechanics. You have to arrange the subject so as to stop, even stun, the viewer. Props might or might not be needed. Creative arrangements are the order of the day. Think of same bottle of perfume resting on a rock with a forest or beach as background, light shining from above giving it an aethereal quality.

3. Illustrative photographs: where you're selling the need for the product. The product is usually not even in the photo (although the designer might drop it in as a superimposed layer in the final ad). Think of a beautiful woman in an autumn afternoon, leaning on a railing with a yearning look in her eyes.

As you can imagine, type 1 is the cheapest and type 3 the most expensive. Which kind are you doing?

High volume photography is of the first kind, and unless your client has deep pockets, you'll be looking at charging in the tens of dollars. Adjust as per the number of images, and charge a set up fee per set to be built. Say, $50 as set-up fee and $30 for 5 shots, then start lowering as the number of products increase, say $27 for up to 10, $23 for up to 20, $20 for more than 20. This is just an example: if you're in a metro area you can even charge $100 per product; but in a small city, if you go past $50 per pic they'll just find someone else.

$15 is too low, BTW, unless you're in a hamlet.

If you're doing type 2, then the whole game changes, as it can take you several hours to construct the set and get the shot. These are the jobs for which you charge a day rate.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,447 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 24, 2013 02:40 |  #13

rdgphoto2010 wrote in post #16394820 (external link)
I have recently been asked to photograph 300 campsites in an RV park for them to use the images on their virtual website. I am a semi-professional (meaning I have been paid for different projects) but I don't make a living with my photography.

My question is: How much would I charge for this type of work. I've previously only shot sports and portraits. They just want eye level images of each site so when viewed on their website a person can see what the surrounding area is and how big the site is. There would be no printing involved nor editing I doubt either. These images would be put on disc only for them. My time would involve just getting the right angle for each site.

Sum up your expenses and add a mark-up that you consider fair according to their budget (you did ask them what their budget is, right?). Be sure to factor in not only the hours you'll spend shooting, but also the post-processing time. You can either charge for post-processing separately, or include it in your 'creative fee'.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,346 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 24, 2013 09:22 |  #14

rdgphoto2010 wrote in post #16394820 (external link)

From post #13: "(you did ask them what their budget is, right?)" Even at $5 a shot they're looking at $1,500 & I suspect that they're not going to pay that?

[QUOTE=rdgphoto2010]
"nor editing I doubt either." Shouldn't you know before you quote the job?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

greyswan
Goldmember
1,076 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 26, 2013 10:29 |  #15

Here is a calculator for freelancers that might be useful: http://freelanceswitch​.com/rates/ (external link)
(sorry, not sure how to put a link in. Just search FreelanceSwitch Hourly Rate calculator.

Gives an accurate view of what you need to make, and you can figure in regional differences in prices.

Hope it helps.
Chris.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

sponsored links

52,181 views & 2 likes for this thread
Product Photography Pricing? How much do I charge?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.