Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 18 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 10:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another "My First Wedding"

Big ­ G
332 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 18, 2013 10:54 |  #1

A keen "Uncle Bob" I've been asked to do a few weddings but have always said no. Put off by the thought of "its portrait photography on steroids"!

I finally gave in, and agreed to take them for a friend of my daughter.

Made a few mistakes on the day, but, overall I really enjoyed it. Here are a few I'd would welcome CC on.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: script
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: script
IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2811/9802120145_1e6e212738_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3773/9802152134_a80d72a8c7_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5478/9802226173_8b3c73d913_b.jpg

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

S100, 1000D (My first DSLR) plus 5D and various lenses
Full Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 18, 2013 11:51 |  #2

1-background isn't fabulous. Because of the light I probably would have shot from reverse direction or from the side (perhaps as silhouette). What is your subject ? If it's the ladies, expose for them properly (they're underexposed). If it's the ground behind them, then expose as you did.

2-Again, exposure seems set as to not disturb the background--but the subject has to be the bride. I also see a kind of discomfort in her eyes. More playful interaction would help in these situations, though I acknowledge it can be one of the hardest things to do in wedding photography.

3-Your exposure shows huge concern for the background and whites of the dress. Your primary concern when choosing an exposure / editing should be the brides face (in this shot at least). If you were set on shooting ambient, and set on this orientation with respect to the sun, you needed to up the exposure. On the other hand, the shot is exposed brilliantly IFF you also popped some flash as well--preferably off-camera flash with an umbrella to light the bride up.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Big ­ G
THREAD ­ STARTER
332 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 18, 2013 12:21 |  #3

Thanks, now you point it out I see exactly what you mean.

I have just been playing with #3 again in LR and it already looks tons better taking on board your comments. As we had to fly to the location I had to limit what gear I took and left my Umbrellas/ soft box behind - something I guess an experienced photog wouldn't have done.

S100, 1000D (My first DSLR) plus 5D and various lenses
Full Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

725 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another "My First Wedding"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.