Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 22:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What lighting set-up should I get for outdoor shoots?

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 18, 2013 22:59 |  #1

I mostly shoot in natural light, don't use my yongnuo yn-468 too often. But now I would like to get more into shooting outdoors with a light setup. For instance, similar to these:
http://www.arthurstjoh​n.com/portfolio.html (external link)

From what I can see in the videos, I'm pretty use he uses a hensel expert d 500 on a beauty dish, and a silver umbrella, but i'm not 100% sure. I can't afford that kind of lighting.

I have done a lot of research on this forum and throughout different sites and I just can't find the answer to what setup I need. Should I get shoot through umbrellas, reflective umbrellas, a brolly box umbrella, a beauty dish, or what combination?

I just have two flashes: yongnuo yn-468 and a second cheap slave flash.

What beginner setup can I get to shoot something somewhat similar to the above portfolio (of course I don't expect to shoot the same images, but hopefully something similar).

I've read several posts where there's really helpful photos that show lighting differences on mannequins, but I don't know how that translates to outdoor photos where I'd be competing with the sun behind the model? From me research, the white shoot through umbrella seems to be the softest and diffuses the light the most on subjects indoors, but is that what I need outside?

If I get a beauty dish and a silver reflective umbrella, while using the flashes I have that are nothing near to the hensel ones used in the above photos, is it still possible to achieve the same type of photos?

I was looking into these:
http://www.amazon.com …B001BSQK8Q/ref=​pd_sim_p_4 (external link)
but don't know if they're appropriate for outdoor photoshoots? Or should I just use them in the evening when the sun is much more softer and I just need to light up the model a bit?

Sorry for so many questions, but it's literally what's going through my head. I feel like i've researched so much through google, and at the end i'm still stuck with the same question, since I read different answers and people having different preferences, how do I know which one's mine if I've never used one?

Thank you so much for reading all of this,
Nora

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,767 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 18, 2013 23:15 |  #2

Evening and morning are prime times and many shoot with flash. These videos may help.

Videos - tutorials - lighting tutorial

http://www.stansphotos​.com (external link)

http://www.youtube.com …ISm7C6fiY&featu​re=related (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

windpig
Chopped liver
14,889 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 19, 2013 07:05 |  #3

https://photography-on-the.net …p=16303843&post​count=8590
Search this photog on POTN. He shoots a lot with direct, unmodifed and reflector modified light. Light out put is going to be the limiting factor with your speed lights. A 580EXII yields about F5.6 into a 60" reflective white umbrella at 5' from subject. You need about F13, depending on your camera sync speed to match mid day sun. All above numbers are ISO 100.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 19, 2013 11:30 |  #4

The 40 inch brolly's will do well to get you toward what you need (I use them all the time, love them) However, looking over your example pictures.. those look like larger modifiers, like 5 ft umbrellas or Octoboxes or something.. very broad even light or he has a processing technique that makes it look that way on their skin. You shoudl be able to pull something similar off with a 580 and 5' umbrella, but not at mid day, as windpig says - only at early morning and late evening.

But the 40inchers you posted are GREAT modifiers, do better in the wind than a strait umbrella, and a good price for the money to start with - you can do a bunch with them. Make sure you have an assistant or sandbags

At some point, you'll be looking at studio strobes to re-create this type of look he has in those big modifiers.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 20, 2013 01:56 |  #5

Thanks everyone! I checked out all the links provided. At last I decided to go with the two 40" Brollies from the link. I decided I should first experiment with them and learn how I like the lighting to be on the model and from there decide what I need to further invest in. Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

928 views & 0 likes for this thread
What lighting set-up should I get for outdoor shoots?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.