Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 18 Jul 2007 (Wednesday) 17:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Red Ring Tupperware Party, Autumnal Equinoctal Edition (24)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,273 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 25, 2016 21:33 |  #12736

Speaking of vehicles... I went go-kart racing with two of my grandsons today. What a hoot.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links
Unbalanced
As one of the gluttons for punishment, I'm glad to see Chet's back
7,756 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 25, 2016 21:34 as a reply to  @ post 17948858 |  #12737

Sure adds up quick, eh?

I'm so far behind on maintaining my truck, I'm getting deeper and deeper.

A bunch of little things, but I bet I could drop a couple grand pretty easily - tires, brakes, bearings, a few glow plugs, and some A/C work thrown in for good measure.

But it's got well over a hundred thou on the odometer, so no complaints. Well, other than the checkbook...

The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.
flickr (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,891 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 25, 2016 21:34 |  #12738

Harm wrote in post #17948862 (external link)
time to buy a new(er) vehicle, rather than sink money into an older vehicle?

The newer car we bought 1 1/2 years ago was a 2004 with 200k, but a Toyota. The Cx9 is a 2007 with 100k, to me that's still a pup.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,891 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 25, 2016 21:35 |  #12739

gjl711 wrote in post #17948734 (external link)
I had to drop in a new tranny in my wife's van last week. 14 years old but only 90k miles. Bit more expensive though.

Yeah, I could use one of those too. :(

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
My Gear List

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,891 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Chet.

Mar 25, 2016 21:38 |  #12740

LV Moose wrote in post #17948867 (external link)
Speaking of vehicles... I went go-kart racing with two of my grandsons today. What a hoot.

That sounds like a good time!

Unbalanced wrote in post #17948868 (external link)
Sure adds up quick, eh?

I'm so far behind on maintaining my truck, I'm getting deeper and deeper.

A bunch of little things, but I bet I could drop a couple grand pretty easily - tires, brakes, bearings, a few glow plugs, and some A/C work thrown in for good measure.

But it's got well over a hundred thou on the odometer, so no complaints. Well, other than the checkbook...

It sucks for sure. They did say my tires are shot as well. I paid $1700 for them 2 years ago, bought the best ones I could find that would be all season. They sucked big time in the snow and though all 4 are wore evenly, they wore quickly.

My Gear List

Unbalanced
As one of the gluttons for punishment, I'm glad to see Chet's back
7,756 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 25, 2016 21:45 |  #12741

Well, for a one ton truck, I average about 40k on a set.

But I went for the 'deal' last time around and bought some Bridgestone Revo's.

Going back to the Michelin's this time around. @ $200 ea.

The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.
flickr (external link)

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,203 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 26, 2016 09:01 as a reply to  @ post 17948858 |  #12742

Replacing an axle boot is not always the best idea, depending on how dirty the joint has gotten, or if the threads pull off when the axle nut is taken off.
I've found plenty of those rear seals leaking, so that doesn't surprise me.

Sucks to be hit with a bill like that though.

Melody

Jill-of-all-Trades
16,203 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 26, 2016 09:02 |  #12743

gjl711 wrote in post #17948734 (external link)
I had to drop in a new tranny in my wife's van last week. 14 years old but only 90k miles. Bit more expensive though.

Ford?

Melody

Jill-of-all-Trades
16,203 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 26, 2016 09:10 |  #12744

Buying tires is always fun to find exactly what suits your needs the best. You want something you'll wear out before they dry rot, but not wear so fast you won't get decent mileage out of them.

I had a set of BFGs that I had on for 140,000 kms and didn't fully wear out. They were great tires. Good grip, balanced easily, quiet, and still good off pavement.

Michelin LTXs will give the best mileage, but will dry rot and have poor cold weather performance. They are great for someone who drives a lot.

The new all-weather tires, which are snow rated, will wear out really fast. They are great for the person who puts no miles on their vehicle and usually loses tires to dry rot before they wear them out.

Melody

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,526 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 26, 2016 09:16 |  #12745

In some applications it's actually cheaper to replace the whole axle than just the boot.

Sevas Tra...

Jill-of-all-Trades
16,203 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 26, 2016 09:26 |  #12746

Traci_Ann wrote in post #17949318 (external link)
In some applications it's actually cheaper to replace the whole axle than just the boot.

That too. Or simply not possible to do the boot.

Melody

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,405 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 26, 2016 10:43 as a reply to  @ Jill-of-all-Trades's post |  #12747

Yes E150 conversion Van

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,891 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Chet. (2 edits in all)

Mar 26, 2016 11:31 |  #12748

My thing was it didn't need a boot. The boot was in great shape, when I did the control arm a couple years ago after the wheel fell off the axle came out of the boot so I repacked it and put a clamp on. But without the tool I couldn't get the clamp tight enough and I knew it was a bit loose. As of two months ago it started to leak, had I put the control arms on I would had fixed or replaced it. As they had to do an alignment after replacing the control arms I just had it done. I should had pushed a clamp only.

My Gear List

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,273 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 26, 2016 11:55 |  #12749

All this stuff you guys are talking about, is exactly why I like to buy new cars every 5-7 years. We have a Civic that's going on 9 years, but my wife just drives that to work, so the mileage is pretty low. That's the longest we've ever had a car, I think. And we buy Toyotas or Hondas. Seems like every American-made vehicle we've had in the past has given us grief. Bronco, Suburban, Aerostar, Camaro, Impala, Galaxy 500. To be fair, the Bronco... '81 or '82 with a straight 6, wasn't terrible.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,804 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 26, 2016 12:08 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #12750

I have the same sad experience with American made cars. Although I had to put a new set of heads on my '99 4Runner a while back, I have over 200k miles on it and it just keeps on going. The $3400 head replacement was a heck of a lot cheaper than new car payments on a new 4Runner which costs in the neighborhood of $45k now.

New cars are nice, but so are no car payments! :-D

As far as tires go, I've stuck to BFG All-Terrain T/A's. A good compromise for highway and off road. Not too noisy on the highway, but excellent in snow and off-roading. The tread is aggressive enough that CalTrans & CHP have never required me to use chains when I drive I-80 in the winter snow over to Reno.

Tim

sponsored links

1,373,093 views & 2,956 likes for this thread
Red Ring Tupperware Party, Autumnal Equinoctal Edition (24)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.