Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 18 Jul 2007 (Wednesday) 17:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Red Ring Tupperware Party, Autumnal Equinoctal Edition (24)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,273 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 26, 2016 13:57 |  #12751

Timphoto wrote in post #17949481 (external link)
New cars are nice, but so are no car payments! :-D

Agreed. But we've rarely had to make them; the last was around '97... we paid-off the Suburban in 18 months. My wife and I don't have high-paying jobs, but we rarely eat out or go to movies, don't spend money on alchohol, don't go nuts on clothes, don't gamble (in spite of our location), don't get ourselves into credit-card debt, etc. We spend our free time going on local hikes or taking short trips, spend time with family. When we do travel, we don't want to worry about our car breaking down, so I guess that's what we've chosen as our "vice," as far as blowing money. Everyone's got their own priorities when it comes to finances.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links
Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,804 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 26, 2016 14:35 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #12752

I know what you mean, we paid off my wife's car early too. It's interesting to see banks/dealers offer 5 to 7 year vehicle loans now. I guess that appeals to folks who are focused on the monthly cost rather than the overall cost of a vehicle, but that seems like a long time to be making car payments.

I'm guessing we'll be replacing my wife's 2006 330i next year. Its a fun ride, but the tires are very expensive and she usually wears a set out in 25k miles.

Tim

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,405 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 26, 2016 14:58 |  #12753

I have never bought a new car. My wife has a few times but she drives them until they die. Her latest Ford E150 is 14 1/2 and in all honesty, we have not put that much into it. $1500 for a new tranny and u-joints, < $1000 for a whole new front end (ball joints bearings, rotors) a new set of front shocks and that's about it. Breaks and such but I do that myself as it's so easy. I did have to wire up the tail pipe with some really heave copper wire. I was going to replace it with a hanger but it's working so well that I just left it. It's needed a few batteries, bulbs, oh, and I replaced the water pump a while back as well. All total if I have put probably $4000 into maintenance over 14 years.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
54,405 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 26, 2016 14:59 |  #12754

Timphoto wrote in post #17949635 (external link)
I know what you mean, we paid off my wife's car early too. It's interesting to see banks/dealers offer 5 to 7 year vehicle loans now. I guess that appeals to folks who are focused on the monthly cost rather than the overall cost of a vehicle, but that seems like a long time to be making car payments. ...

Aren't car loans simple interest? No advantage of paying off early.

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,804 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 26, 2016 15:21 |  #12755

gjl711 wrote in post #17949661 (external link)
Aren't car loans simple interest? No advantage of paying off early.

All I know is that for our loan the payoff amount was less than the total of the remaining car payments. Other loans may be different, but even so I hate owing money and I'd still pay it off early.

Tim

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,203 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 26, 2016 17:04 |  #12756

I'm on my third truck and it's by far the newest and most expensive. It's a 2012 GMC Sierra and I got it for $23,600 CAD. That price is actually pretty high for the truck, but the Canadian dollar was so low that most used trucks were being sold to the US at a premium price. Mine had 145,000 kms on it, so it was still here. I didn't want that high of mileage, but if it holds up well it won't matter.

My previous truck was a 2002 GMC Sierra. I paid $3500 for it, it had 250,000 kms on it, and I drove it for 4 years. As for repairs, I had to have the hanger bearing and some fuel lines replaced. I did the brakes, tires, wheel bearing, alignment, intake manifold gasket, tune up, alternator, belts, and A/C belt tensioner myself. For a vehicle of that age, it really didn't require many repairs. But that's one of the main reasons why I buy trucks - they simply hold up better.

My first truck was a 1995 Chevy Silverado. I paid $3000 for it and it had 314,000 kms on it. It had just had all the body work and a paint job done, so it was in really good shape. I drove it for 5 years and put 150,000 kms on it. I replaced the fuel tank, water pump, and u-joints. Other than that, it was just tires, brakes, and maintenance. It had a tendency to kill spark plugs, but a set of them only cost me about $30 so I didn't care about that.

Being able to do most every repair myself really keeps the costs down. I have an account at a local parts store, so I get everything from there at trade. They carry AC Delco, so I'm not compromising on quality. At work I can get everything at 10% over cost.

In the next short while I need to do spark plugs on the truck, and a transmission flush. I also need to put a trailer hitch on it. Three trucks now that have all not had trailer hitches.

Melody

LV ­ Moose
23,273 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 28, 2016 08:30 |  #12757

A little while after I got home from work, I noticed our computer was on (but in sleep mode), so I asked my wife if she was still using it.

"Oh, I meant to say something; I was working on the bills and it looks like it started installing Windows 10."

Son of a...! I really wanted to make sure I had everything backed up before I tried that, and I wanted to do it on a weekend in case I had issues. And I know it wouldn't have begun the update unless my wife clicked on the offer when it popped up. Anyway, it had already started, so I went ahead and clicked my way through, with great trepidation. Seems most things are working okay; at least WiFi, my printer, LR5 (thank goodness), the Office programs, Avira (although I had to run an update), and the internet. Haven't tried everything yet, but I'm relieved that it seems to be running okay.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

gjl711
54,405 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 28, 2016 10:11 |  #12758

Good to hear Moose. Mine went smoothly as well. After the upgrade I went out and bought a new disk and did a scratch install and have been carefully moving things to the new disk. After several years without a clean install things get messy and need reorganization. I still have the old drive plugged in just in case I need something but have most of the move complete. So far I like W10 better than W8 to W8.1

LV ­ Moose
23,273 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by LV Moose.

Mar 28, 2016 10:18 |  #12759

What does it do that's better? Oh, wait. I think I had Windows 7; no issues whatsoever. I guess I should upgrade my laptop as well, though I rarely use it.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

gjl711
54,405 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 28, 2016 13:02 |  #12760

LV Moose wrote in post #17951793 (external link)
What does it do that's better? Oh, wait. I think I had Windows 7; no issues whatsoever. I guess I should upgrade my laptop as well, though I rarely use it.

The big one is performance. There are many performance improvements in W10 that speed boot up time, if your a gamer, you have access to DirectX12 and it's features.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,891 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2016 13:13 |  #12761

Has some chick named Tina that is similar to Apple's Siri. You can now yell at your computer and she will tell you she doesn't understand.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

GibJock
Don’t bait the TF, it’ll backfire on you.
9,354 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Mar 28, 2016 16:03 |  #12762

gjl711 wrote in post #17952023 (external link)
The big one is performance. There are many performance improvements in W10 that speed boot up time, if your a gamer, you have access to DirectX12 and it's features.

Moose, gamer? Hmmmmm

flickr (external link)

LV ­ Moose
23,273 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 28, 2016 16:14 |  #12763

Ian Mackie wrote in post #17952201 (external link)
Moose, gamer? Hmmmmm

Moose got game.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

gjl711
54,405 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 28, 2016 16:17 |  #12764

Once you get use to the new interface, it's much more intuitive. It has a better file management system and access to tools is much easier. Plus if you have a tablet or phone, it's the same interface.

LV ­ Moose
23,273 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 28, 2016 16:24 |  #12765

Chet wrote in post #17952033 (external link)
Has some chick named Tina that is similar to Apple's Siri. You can now yell at your computer and she will tell you she doesn't understand.

I've already got some chick inside my car's nav system that doesn't understand me, along with the wife. Why do I need another one inside my 'puter?

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links

1,373,101 views & 2,956 likes for this thread
Red Ring Tupperware Party, Autumnal Equinoctal Edition (24)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.