Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Sep 2013 (Friday) 21:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tech Question for the 60D

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 20, 2013 21:02 |  #1

New to me 60D owner ( a sealed from Canon refurbish unit from B&H for $549 ). I bought the 60D to replace my T3i ( I'll explain later ) a couple of days ago. Upon receiving it, the Camera looked to be in new condition with only 26 actuations on the Shutter. I check all the Function on Camera and it seems to be in top working order.

I get to the last item to check, the Down loading the Images to my Computer. I D/L the Images the same way as I did with the T3i. I use the Camera to Transfer the Images via the USB and EOS Utility. The D/L went with out a hitch BUT when I turn the Camera off, disconnect the USB and turn the Camera back on, I lose the Quick Control Screen on the Back LCD Panel. All I get is the Sensor Cleaning Screen then a Black Screen. I have to hit the INFO button and scroll back to the Quick Control Screen. This has happened 3 out of 7 D/L so far. I don't think this is normal as my T3i has never exhibited this phenomenon up to the day I sold it. Other than that the Camera is spot on.

Do I have a problem? Do I need to exchange for another refurbish unit or should I buy a new one? Any help/INFO will be much appreciated.

As a side note, the reason I sold the T3i is:

The T3i was not my first choice as the Camera felt awkward and small in my hands but it felt better Gripped and I was using the 18-55 IS, 50 1.4 f/1.8 and the 55-250 and it took some pretty good Images.

Then I bought the 70-200 L and things started to feel small and awkward again. It became worse when I bought the 17-55 f/2.8 and both Lenses were front Focusing a little bit ( The 60D was spot on ), so the old lenses and T3i had to go to fund a new Camera Body. I thought about the 70D but dang Canon had to shrink the Body some what. The 60D fits me perfect and I'm comfortable with it plus it has a brighter, Optical View Finder, 9 Cross Focusing Sensors, Higher FPS, heavier.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

sponsored links
YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 20, 2013 23:14 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Here is what happens with my 60D.
Turn it on. I get sensor cleaning screen, then black.
Press INFO button. INFO screen comes up.
Press INFO button again. INFO screen goes off.

Press Q-button. Q-screen comes up.
Press Q-button again, Q-screen goes off.

Press INFO button, then Q-button. Info screen comes up, followed by Q-screen.
Press Q-button, then INFO button. Q-screen comes up, then goes off.

I think your camera is behaving normally. Let me know if you want me to try some other combination of buttons. Happy to help. Good luck.

Dedicated APS-c shooter. Gripped 60D, 60 2.8, 10-22, 15-85, Σ70-200 OS and a big white something or other! Plus a 5D w/28-75.

JWdlft
328 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 21, 2013 06:34 as a reply to  @ YashicaFX2's post |  #3

Menu button, the third camera settings tab (looks like a wrench) you can set the INFO. button display options (items you can see with each press the Info button)- camera settings, and/or electronic level, and/or shooting functions.

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 21, 2013 07:03 |  #4

JWdlft wrote in post #16313559 (external link)
Menu button, the third camera settings tab (looks like a wrench) you can set the INFO. button display options (items you can see with each press the Info button)- camera settings, and/or electronic level, and/or shooting functions.

I checked that and the Quick Control Screen is checked...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 21, 2013 07:08 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Please give the sequence of events you think is a problem in clear, concise steps. I can't figure out exactly what you are asking.

Dedicated APS-c shooter. Gripped 60D, 60 2.8, 10-22, 15-85, Σ70-200 OS and a big white something or other! Plus a 5D w/28-75.

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 21, 2013 07:12 |  #6

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16313209 (external link)
Here is what happens with my 60D.
Turn it on. I get sensor cleaning screen, then black.
Press INFO button. INFO screen comes up.
Press INFO button again. INFO screen goes off.

Press Q-button. Q-screen comes up.
Press Q-button again, Q-screen goes off.

Press INFO button, then Q-button. Info screen comes up, followed by Q-screen.
Press Q-button, then INFO button. Q-screen comes up, then goes off.

I think your camera is behaving normally. Let me know if you want me to try some other combination of buttons. Happy to help. Good luck.

What the Camera is doing, when I turn off the Camera to disconnect from the Computer and turn it back on, I sometimes lose the Control screen, it does not happen all the time, I'm not doing anything different. I can live with that little glitch but will lead on to other problems later?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 21, 2013 07:23 |  #7

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16313592 (external link)
Please give the sequence of events you think is a problem in clear, concise steps. I can't figure out exactly what you are asking.

I see where the mix up is, the manual is calling the Display Shooting Function on the rear LCD the "Quick Control Screen".

Here is the sequence of events. Camera on, Shooting Function on. Turn off Camera, connect USB Cable. Turn camera Back on. Run EOS utility and start D/L the Images. After D/L is completed. Turn off the Camera, disconnect USB Cable from the Camera and Computer. Turn Camera Back on and I lose the Display Shooting Function. I have to turn it back on. It should stay on.

Clear as mud yet?:)...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 21, 2013 07:33 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I still don't get it. You turn the camera off. Then you turn the camera on. Your problem is that the Quick Control Screen is off when you first turn the camera on? Why would you expect that? Why would you want that? When you turn the camera on, it starts from scratch in the ready-to-shoot situation.

I just re-read your post. "Display Shooting Functions" is one screen. It is toggled with the INFO button. The Quick Control Screen looks similar to the Display Functions screen, but it is an entirely different screen. It is toggled by the Q-button. The Q-screen is interactive, the Display Shooting screen is not. If you turn on the Quick Controls Screen with the Q-button, you can turn it off with the Q-button or the INFO button. You don't need to use the Menu system for either of these screens.

When you turn the camera off, it is off. What you were doing before that is irrelevant. When you turn it back on, it is ready to shoot. That means nothing displayed on the rear screen. That is as it should be.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 21, 2013 07:34 as a reply to  @ Chief_10Beers's post |  #9

Use a card reader?? :)

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 21, 2013 07:39 |  #10

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16313618 (external link)
I still don't get it. You turn the camera off. Then you turn the camera on. Your problem is that the Quick Control Screen is off when you first turn the camera on? Why would you expect that? Why would you want that? When you turn the camera on, it starts from scratch in the ready-to-shoot situation.

OOOOH...now I think I get it too...the Rebels default to the rear LCD being on to the quick control menu because they do not have the top LCD. Learn to use the Top LCD and the direct function buttons instead of the quick menu, I hardly ever used it. Saves your battery too as the rear LCD does not have to be on as much.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 21, 2013 07:39 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Pretty sure using a card reader won't enable the Shooting Functions Screen when turning the camera back on.

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 21, 2013 07:44 |  #12

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16313618 (external link)

This is what I'm writing about:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i985.photobucke​t.com …_control_screen​__hero.jpg (external link)

Shows the current settings. I have it set in the Menu to be on all the time. Sometimes it's on sometimes it's not after I D/L the images...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 21, 2013 08:00 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Chief_10Beers wrote in post #16313633 (external link)
This is what I'm writing about:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s985.photobucke​t.com …rol_screen__her​o.jpg.html  (external link)

Shows the current settings. I have it set in the Menu to be on all the time. Sometimes it's on sometimes it's not after I D/L the images...............

That is the Quick Control Screen, not the Display Functions Screen. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it is not possible to make it stay on all the time. The ONLY way to turn it on is with the Q-Button on the back of the camera. What you are setting in the menu system is the "INFO. button display options". This turns nothing on and off. What it does do is let you select what the INFO button toggles through as you press it repeatedly. One of those options is: Display Shooting Functions. This is NOT the Quick Control screen you are showing in the above post. They are two different screens.

As mentioned before, to get the Quick Control Screen (the one you posted above) up, you HAVE to press the Q-Button. There is no other way to display that screen. To get the Shooting Display Screen up, you have to:
A.) have that option selected in the INFO. button display options menu.
B.) press the INFO button.

Neither of these screens will EVER be on when you first turn the camera on, regardless of what you were doing when you turned it off. I hope this helps.

YashicaFX2
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 21, 2013 08:04 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Here are the Quick Control Screen followed by the Shooting Function Screen. They are not the same thing. You can't turn either one of them on from any menu. You HAVE to use the Q-button and INFO button on the back of the camera. The Q-screen is interactive. You can navigate it and make changes to settings. The Function screen only shows current selections; you can't change anything from there.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 21, 2013 08:07 |  #15

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16313648 (external link)
That is the Quick Control Screen, not the Display Functions Screen. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it is not possible to make it stay on all the time. The ONLY way to turn it on is with the Q-Button on the back of the camera. What you are setting in the menu system is the "INFO. button display options". This turns nothing on and off. What it does do is let you select what the INFO button toggles through as you press it repeatedly. One of those options is: Display Shooting Functions. This is NOT the Quick Control screen you are showing in the above post. They are two different screens.

As mentioned before, to get the Quick Control Screen (the one you posted above) up, you HAVE to press the Q-Button. There is no other way to display that screen. To get the Shooting Display Screen up, you have to:
A.) have that option selected in the INFO. button display options menu.
B.) press the INFO button.

Neither of these screens will EVER be on when you first turn the camera on, regardless of what you were doing when you turned it off. I hope this helps.

OK, thanks for your help, sometimes I can be a little thick. Keyan did mention the screen was on all the time for the Rebels and I was basing my experience with the T3i...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

sponsored links

4,117 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tech Question for the 60D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.