Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 25 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 12:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IMac, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro?

phantelope
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 03, 2013 10:45 |  #16

great info, thanks all!
I was wondering if the mini is up for an update soon. I'll be walking past the apple store today and ask, though they'll probably give me the "don't know because it's a secret" answer.

Never thought about building a hackintosh, but now I'm intrigued. I'd have the time right now and worked enough on my PCs in the past to think I can do this myself. Certainly will look into that today.

Otherwise I think a mac mini and a new 27 inch display. iMacs are neat looking, but I can't have a glossy screen since I'm next to a window. Not ideal to begin with, but it's not much of a bother with my matte Samsung screen. Also don't like glossy screens.

Thanks again! I'll head over to google now, but if any of you have some good links about building my own, please post.

Oliver

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

sponsored links
flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 03, 2013 11:12 |  #17

A vote for the MacMini here. I love it with dual monitors. Plenty fast with after I installed a SSD and 16gb of ram. I have 3 3tb USB 3.0 drives attached to it and the only lag I get is when the externals spin up after idling.
I've used a Hackintosh for the last 4 years or so and while it's been great for the most part but when you get a kernal panic it's wasted time. I'm a tinkerer though and love playing with computers but sometimes if the reliability isn't 100% it's just not worth it when it's critical.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

benji25
Goldmember
1,107 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 04, 2013 09:36 |  #18

phantelope wrote in post #16343263 (external link)
great info, thanks all!
I was wondering if the mini is up for an update soon. I'll be walking past the apple store today and ask, though they'll probably give me the "don't know because it's a secret" answer.

Never thought about building a hackintosh, but now I'm intrigued. I'd have the time right now and worked enough on my PCs in the past to think I can do this myself. Certainly will look into that today.

Otherwise I think a mac mini and a new 27 inch display. iMacs are neat looking, but I can't have a glossy screen since I'm next to a window. Not ideal to begin with, but it's not much of a bother with my matte Samsung screen. Also don't like glossy screens.

Thanks again! I'll head over to google now, but if any of you have some good links about building my own, please post.

Oliver

buyersguide.macrumors.​com

The way it works is they calculate the average time of previous updates and let you know where we currently are in the cycle. So if the mini historically is updated every 500 days on average and we have had 530 days since the last refresh, well, don't but.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,960 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 04, 2013 09:39 |  #19

benji25 wrote in post #16345532 (external link)
buyersguide.macrumors.​com

This.
I'm looking into a new mini-server myself. New one should be announced any day now. Hopefully.

Getting better at this - Fuji X-t3 x2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 16-80 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 04, 2013 17:55 |  #20

If I did not need portability (i.e. laptop), and narrow gamut (sRGB) was enough....I would do iMac. If no portability and I needed wide gamut, then Mini or Mac Pro (depending on budget).

For us, we do 2-3 week trips. We use Macbook Pro with largest SSD to do capture files in the field, import into LR, and do initial culls/edits. When we get home we finish the editting and move the completed files to the main LR library folders on RAID drives that are backed up by Time Machine to another set of drives.

So what are the requirements on budget....and portability?

benji25
Goldmember
1,107 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 04, 2013 18:03 |  #21

MCAsan wrote in post #16346640 (external link)
If I did not need portability (i.e. laptop), and narrow gamut (sRGB) was enough....I would do iMac. If no portability and I needed wide gamut, then Mini or Mac Pro (depending on budget).

For us, we do 2-3 week trips. We use Macbook Pro with largest SSD to do capture files in the field, import into LR, and do initial culls/edits. When we get home we finish the editting and move the completed files to the main LR library folders on RAID drives that are backed up by Time Machine to another set of drives.

So what are the requirements on budget....and portability?

Honestly I think the mac mini could be considered portable. They make USB portable monitors. So as long as you have a plug in or some power source a mini can go a lot of places.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 05, 2013 17:10 |  #22

Honestly I think the mac mini could be considered portable.

When say portable, I think we mean you can not only transport it...but it can use it without AC power...on batteries. I can move an iMac....but would not call it portable.

Marc_CYBW
29 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 05, 2013 18:05 as a reply to  @ MCAsan's post |  #23

My 4 year old MacBook Pro is rapidly dying. Taking it to Apple genius on Monday, and expect that it's new computer time. <sigh>

I have a 25" Samsung Monitor and external storage and thinking of replacing the MacBook Pro with either a new MacBook pro or an iMac. Don't really need the portability anymore since I have an iPad, so leaning to iMac. I can use the monitor for my PC.

Not quite sure what the discussion on the iMac monitor is about. Can it be calibrated? Is it too reflective? What is the issue for photo processing?

Thanks
Marc

Canon 6D | EF 50mm f1.2 L USM | EF 16-35 f4 L IS USM | EF 24-70 f4 L IS USM | 70-200 f4 L IS USM | Canon 60D | EF 28 - 105 | EF 70 - 300 | Tokina ATX 11 - 16 f2.0 | 3 x Speedlight 600 EX RT

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 06, 2013 08:58 |  #24

The iMac monitor is a gloss finish, which can make it very hard to control glare and other reflections. Personally I kind of prefer a gloss finish on a display if I know I will be using it somewhere that I have full control over the light, but otherwise it can be a royal pain.

The other, honestly bigger, problem with the iMac is the lack of access to the internals for basic user maintenance, such as replacing a hard drive, in several models. You can always connect a second or third monitor to your iMac to get around the screen issue, but in my view locking in the hard drive from user service is unforgivable.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

benji25
Goldmember
1,107 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 06, 2013 13:11 |  #25

Luckless wrote in post #16349742 (external link)
The iMac monitor is a gloss finish, which can make it very hard to control glare and other reflections. Personally I kind of prefer a gloss finish on a display if I know I will be using it somewhere that I have full control over the light, but otherwise it can be a royal pain.

The other, honestly bigger, problem with the iMac is the lack of access to the internals for basic user maintenance, such as replacing a hard drive, in several models. You can always connect a second or third monitor to your iMac to get around the screen issue, but in my view locking in the hard drive from user service is unforgivable.

I think what a lot of people are doing since HD's are so cheap is getting a smaller internal drive with the OS and everything on it and then keep everything else on an external. I have had a mac mini, macbook and a PC build and other than putting my HDD in my build i have never had a reason to touch my hard drives.

Could just be lucky that nothing went wrong though. And I put that macbook through hell (college)

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 06, 2013 13:19 |  #26

benji25 wrote in post #16350305 (external link)
I think what a lot of people are doing since HD's are so cheap is getting a smaller internal drive with the OS and everything on it and then keep everything else on an external. I have had a mac mini, macbook and a PC build and other than putting my HDD in my build i have never had a reason to touch my hard drives.

Could just be lucky that nothing went wrong though. And I put that macbook through hell (college)

Never have a drive fail? I've had one failure of a drive in about 10 years, and it was my OS drive. That ate up a few hours to confirm the drive was dead, and to reinstall the OS to another older drive that was kicking around in a box so I could go back to using the system while I waited for the proper replacement to get here.

I could have done it faster had I not insisted on wasting time pretending the drive was somehow recoverable. And that time was far less annoying than having to send my system off to Apple to have some tech open a case that should have been designed for me to easily open myself.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 06, 2013 15:30 |  #27

benji25 wrote in post #16350305 (external link)

The best thing about a Mini is that you can install a second drive in about 20 minutes. I did this with an SSD and initialized it and the hard drive as a single Fusion volume. It's nice and snappy.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

phantelope
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 08, 2013 11:38 |  #28

thanks again! Went to the Apple store but the won't know when a new mini comes out until we all know. I think I'll be getting the top of the line mini, buy max RAM from 3rd party, but maybe have one of those hybrid drives installed from the get go.

I don't need portable, I never really edit on the go, my mackbook pro never had enough disk space to fill up with RAW files and I don't even take it with me anymore, since I have an ipad now. It will be retired to 2nd computer status, and will be mobile again (instead of wired up with monitor and external drives). I looked at the imacs again, they look great, but yes, they are all glossy screens, which looks neat but won't work for me as I'm sitting next to a patio door and can't change that.

I will wait until the new models come out though, as it seems like that should be any day now. If I shut down all other programs I can work on my big RAW files ok for now.

Good info here, thanks!

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

jrafael
134 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 08, 2013 15:08 |  #29

Rushmore wrote in post #16326292 (external link)
I use an iMac...

BUT.. going to do a Hackintosh..

£5000 equivalent,
for around £850

bw!

Hackintosh FTW !!!

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,889 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 08, 2013 16:17 |  #30

I recently took delivery of a brand new 27" iMac (3.4GHz and 3TB fusion drive) to replace a 2010 model. It was a replacement under Applecare. Yes, I got lucky as there were only 2 months left on the Applecare.

I really really love my slimmer sexy iMac. USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt is so awesome compared to my older USB 2.0 and FW800. I also don't regret going from 256GB SSD (with 2TB external HD via FW800) to 3TB fusion drive (with 3TB external HD via USB3 strictly for Time Machine).

a7RII • V12 • L21 • S24GM • S85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links

11,545 views & 0 likes for this thread
IMac, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.