Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 25 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 12:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IMac, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro?

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 11, 2013 19:19 |  #61

phantelope wrote in post #16519346 (external link)
great link and info, thanks!

No problem.

An old computer rule: No computer can process faster than the slowest device involved in the process.

Have fun. Unless you're really sure about your workflow, I'd think you're probably better off with a Mac Mini than anything else. They go fast enough and have Intel Graphics, which are good enough for PS. You can pick your monitor from a much wider selection, including craigslist. You might be surprised what you can find there. ;)

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 11, 2013 20:40 |  #62

Zeiterphoto wrote in post #16520137 (external link)
what about the graphics card in the mac mini...the hd4000 doesn't seem really good especially in photoshop...this is what stops me from buying a mac mini or maybe a retina macbook pro base 15 inch..

I don't use Photoshop, but instead Aperture and Pixelmator. Both of these apps use the gpu extensively and on my HD4000 i7 Mac Mini they render my 5D Mark II files in real-time. More impressive is they also render my Sigma DP1 Merrill, DP2 Merrill files (~52 mb) in real-time, and 4x5" film scans (around 320 mb each) almost in real-time, too. The HD4000 is a very good gpu.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Zeiterphoto
91 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 12, 2013 21:26 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #63

would a new 13 inch retina macbook pro with 16gb of ram fast enough even though it hasn't a quad core? I would use it in clamshell mode for editing and then use retina display when on the go (mostly not editing)...

Canon 60D | Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon Flash Speedlite 430EX II | flickr (external link)

Ryan0751
212 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 19, 2013 14:11 |  #64

Zeiterphoto wrote in post #16523207 (external link)
would a new 13 inch retina macbook pro with 16gb of ram fast enough even though it hasn't a quad core? I would use it in clamshell mode for editing and then use retina display when on the go (mostly not editing)...

Yes, it should be fine. I ran a late-2011 13-inch non-retina (but with 512GB SSD) in clamshell mode with a TB display for 2 years, and it ran all my photo software lightning fast. Just upgraded to the 15" MBP Retina, and it's even faster!

The new PCIe SSD's will make the machine amazingly quick.

Canon 5D III, Fuji X100s, Sigma 15mm (Fisheye), 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 70-200 F2.8 IS II L, 100 2.8 Macro L, 1.4X TC, 3 x 600 EX-RT, ST-E3, Nodal Ninja Ultimate M2 with EZ Leveler
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ryanruel (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

11,521 views & 0 likes for this thread
IMac, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.