Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Sep 2013 (Thursday) 16:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Time to upgrade or buy anything else?

Octowl
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 26, 2013 16:20 |  #1

Click on my full gear list and let me know if there is anything I need to upgrade or buy to have better equipment.

I'm really wanting a new body but love that swivel screen and cannot do without it actually. So I am leaning towards the 24mm or 35mm, I just want something with a lower f/stop than f/1.8. I was creamy bokeh and am taking pictures of people and cars.

I also really want some sort of battery to take my lights out during the day/night. Thoughts?

Lets say my budget is $3000 in total. What would y'all do with what I have?

My name is Daniel and I'm a Graphic Designer, but my passion is Photography
Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000
Full Gear List | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 26, 2013 18:24 |  #2

Gear list? I must be missing it.

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 26, 2013 20:45 |  #3

Why don't you just wait until YOU know what YOU need for YOUR photography, and then go buy it? Why would you ask total strangers how to spend your money?

Look at your photography. Examine why it fails in some of the pictures you feel are "failures", or contemplate what pictures you just didn't get for lack of equipment. Make sure you are not trying to buy equipment to solve technique issues. Get something that will fix that specific problem. It would make sense to come on a forum like this and ask about such a solution to a specific "problem" you want to solve, but it makes no sense to ask other photographers what you need for your photography style.

You already know a couple of things to examine.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 28, 2013 02:14 |  #4

rral22 wrote in post #16328144 (external link)
Why don't you just wait until YOU know what YOU need for YOUR photography, and then go buy it? Why would you ask total strangers how to spend your money?...

This.
If you need to ask if you need to upgrade, you probably don't.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 28, 2013 03:26 |  #5

Well, the new 70D is out and it still has the swivel screen.

The new 55-250 STM is also shipping.

And if your cash is still burning a hole in your pocket, you could purchase one of the fine Canon 70-200s or the 70-300L.

Midrange zoom? How about the 17-55 f/2.8 or the 15-85 if you shoot in better light most of the time?

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

748 views & 0 likes for this thread
Time to upgrade or buy anything else?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.