Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you purchase your lenses from?

shuter113
50 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 29, 2013 19:49 |  #31

Canon refurb directly from Canon.

sponsored links
HelenOster
That's me!
4,503 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 29, 2013 23:34 |  #32

artyH wrote in post #16334231 (external link)
Adorama, Amazon, B and H, and Roberts (when I lived in Il). I got my last 2 lenses from Adorama with the Canon 35f2 IS Sept. 3....now the price drop. Aargh!

PLEASE CONTACT ME with your order number!!! Helen@adorama.com (external link)

We will usually honor a price drop within 30 days of purchase!!!!!! bw!

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 30, 2013 00:31 |  #33

Canon refurbished, B&H and Adorama (not longer because they charge shipping to Alaska), Crutchfield and Amazon now (because they don't charge for shipping to Alaska).

By the way, Crutchfield has one of the best customer services and return policies I can think of.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,503 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 30, 2013 10:21 |  #34

RayinAlaska wrote in post #16334772 (external link)
Canon refurbished, B&H and Adorama (not longer because they charge shipping to Alaska), Crutchfield and Amazon now (because they don't charge for shipping to Alaska).

I can absolutely appreciate why you would make your purchasing decision based on the shipping costs, and in your position I have little doubt that I'd do the same, but I would like the opportunity to explain why there is this apparent anomaly.....

Because of the amount of business we do with UPS we get shipping discounts, which enable us to offer free shipping on selected items. However, we don't get those same discounts for shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, APO/FPO, or PO boxes. The only way we'd be able to offer 'free' shipping ('free' because we obviously cover the cost ourselves), is if we were to do as some retailers, and hide the cost, by inflating the purchase cost of the goods our customers buy from us.

artyH
Goldmember
2,108 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 30, 2013 11:36 |  #35

I will be buying my next lens or camera from Adorama. They have great customer service, and just gave me a credit as a result of my recent purchase of the Canon 35 F2IS and the price change.
I looked at my records, and noticed a third lens that I got from them recently: the 24-105 L. In the past, I have gotten cameras, lenses, binoculars, and astronomical gear from Adorama. They are great to deal with. Now, if I can figure out how to update my email with them...this is going to take a phone call.

mkville
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 30, 2013 12:21 |  #36

Helen, I swear I hope Adorma knows how much you do for them on here :)

As for me I bought 2 lens Sigma 17-70 and may 85 1.8 here on POTN , the rest are locally bought CL and Kijiji. The only brand new lens I ever bought was the 55-250 back in the day. Still have it too myt wife uses it :)

Mark
flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,503 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 30, 2013 12:27 |  #37

mkville wrote in post #16335844 (external link)
Helen, I swear I hope Adorama knows how much you do for them on here :)

Aaaah....I'm all over the interwebs on photography forums like a rash!! (but Sshhh.... don't tell anyone - POTN is my favorite!;))

hrblaine
284 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 30, 2013 12:32 |  #38

All but 42nd St.

Coral
284 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 30, 2013 12:51 as a reply to  @ hrblaine's post |  #39

Price and delivery is first I always shop.

I purchased 70-200 and 15-85 from Adorama
50mm 1.4 from Craigslist
100mm 2.8 macro Canon refurb with additional 15% off

500mm F4 after heavy shopping best deal Allen's Camera. (No one would price match on this lens...awesome deal)

Interesting thread about my 500mm purchase: https://photography-on-the.net …863&highlight=c​anon+500mm

Living the Dream
Gear: Camera 5D3, Glass: EF 50mm f1.4, EF 100mm f2.8, EF 70-200mm f4, EF 500mm f4 II, Tamron 24-70mm f2.8

hotled
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 30, 2013 14:37 as a reply to  @ Coral's post |  #40

Thanks for all the input because I think I have settled on a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM so I can shoot some sports and some hand held nature stuff.

Ken
Canon 7D | ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon EF 50 1.8 | Σ 70-200 2.8 EX DG OS HSM| YN-568EX II | YN-622
My Fickr (external link)

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 30, 2013 17:43 |  #41

HelenOster wrote in post #16335546 (external link)
I can absolutely appreciate why you would make your purchasing decision based on the shipping costs, and in your position I have little doubt that I'd do the same, but I would like the opportunity to explain why there is this apparent anomaly.....

Because of the amount of business we do with UPS we get shipping discounts, which enable us to offer free shipping on selected items. However, we don't get those same discounts for shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, APO/FPO, or PO boxes. The only way we'd be able to offer 'free' shipping ('free' because we obviously cover the cost ourselves), is if we were to do as some retailers, and hide the cost, by inflating the purchase cost of the goods our customers buy from us.

All good points, and I don't disagree with you. But the thing about shipping to Alaska is that it should not cost any more than across the CONUS. Anchorage is an international shipping hub for UPS and others.

Although I take shipping cost as a top priority, it's second to the company's reputation and customer support. A couple of years ago I purchased a Pixma Pro9000 printer from Crutchfield. The printer purchased from B&H would have been around $20.00 cheaper than Crutchfield, but the shipping would have cost $90.00 (this is a heavy printer). I still saved nearly $70.00.

That said, I do agree with lots of people that Adorama and B&H are two of the most reliable companies in the US. Crutchfield is there, too.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,503 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 30, 2013 18:01 |  #42

RayinAlaska wrote in post #16336624 (external link)
.....But the thing about shipping to Alaska is that it should not cost any more than across the CONUS.

It isn't that it costs more to ship to Alaska, but that shipping across the CONUS costs us significantly less because of the sheer number of items we ship - so we can offer free shipping on selected items without hiding the shipping cost by increasing the unit cost.

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,424 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 30, 2013 18:43 |  #43

HelenOster wrote in post #16335859 (external link)
Aaaah....I'm all over the interwebs on photography forums like a rash!! (but Sshhh.... don't tell anyone - POTN is my favorite!;))

Does Adorama have marketing info on what percentage of customers are active on forums? Clearly it's a good amount that justifies your time here.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 30, 2013 21:51 |  #44

HelenOster wrote in post #16336656 (external link)
It isn't that it costs more to ship to Alaska, but that shipping across the CONUS costs us significantly less because of the sheer number of items we ship - so we can offer free shipping on selected items without hiding the shipping cost by increasing the unit cost.

That's true, except that if the place the item is being shipped to is a shipping hub, it makes no difference. For example, I live near Fairbanks and the hub point is Anchorage. In this case the added cost would be to for the item to be brought over from Anchorage to Fairbanks, not from Seattle (for example) to Anchorage. But I believe that Fairbanks is a secondary international shipping hub to Asia and Europe.

Apple, Crutchfield, and a great number of companies that ship via UPS and FedEx, don't charge for shipping to Alaska. There is something else, too: lens and camera prices are set by the manufacturer, so regardless of where I buy from I have to pay the same. Therefore shipping is what really makes a difference when the item is not available locally. Otherwise I just buy it in one of the local stores.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,503 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 01, 2013 00:45 |  #45

FEChariot wrote in post #16336739 (external link)
Does Adorama have marketing info on what percentage of customers are active on forums? Clearly it's a good amount that justifies your time here.

No - but I have a presence on 600+ forums, shopping sites, Flickr groups and blogs!

sponsored links

18,770 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you purchase your lenses from?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.