Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you purchase your lenses from?

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 05, 2013 17:51 |  #91

I get them from BH out of habit. Since BH streamlined their shipping to canada to offer ground shipping with no ripoff brokerage, it's the default option even for a lot of smaller items.

Amazon is less convenient.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links
RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 05, 2013 20:31 |  #92

archer1960 wrote in post #16348637 (external link)
Another big issue is the fact that many online retailers don't have to collect state and local sales taxes from many of their customers. Here in RI, that makes a 7% price difference right off the top. Once most states (or the feds) start requiring that, some of that price advantage will evaporate, while shipping costs will still be a factor for larger items.

Good points. In Alaska we don't have to pay State taxes, and most people order a myriad of products online. However, since Canon sets the price for their cameras and lenses and what I am looking for is available locally, then I sometimes buy here. If I am looking for a camera or lens and see a good deal, some store discount on the Internet-for example, then I buy online.

The best camera discounts from reputable dealers I have ever seen happen on eBay. I just don't buy on eBay because I don't trust those sales, but a lot of people do after keeping an eye on the "Market Watch Forum" (one of these forums). I have heard that Beech Camera is a good dealer, and have seen them on eBay. These deals come and go pretty fast, however :)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 05, 2013 21:02 |  #93

RayinAlaska wrote in post #16348922 (external link)

The best camera discounts from reputable dealers I have ever seen happen on eBay. I just don't buy on eBay because I don't trust those sales, but a lot of people do after keeping an eye on the "Market Watch Forum" (one of these forums). I have heard that Beech Camera is a good dealer, and have seen them on eBay. These deals come and go pretty fast, however :)

Adorama has an eBay store as well, and I bought my first DSLR kit from an eBay store too.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 07, 2013 09:32 |  #94

johneo wrote in post #16346659 (external link)
First off, I HAVE bought camera gear from both B&H and Adorama ... NO COMPLAINTS at all! Great gear and service! I value the info you provide here on POTN! I haven't had my Amazon Prime all that long but I do find the prices a little lower. Example ... just now checked on a Canon 7D (ok, older camera, whatever!) I can save $160 buying it on Amazon. Don't even know if I would have to pay shipping (won't with Prime! But I have no need for a 2nd 7D ... just checking! )

I went to Amazon and typed "EOS 7D body" into their search field. The first of 400+ results said the price was $790.00. I clicked and was taken to a page where Amazon was selling the camera, not a partner. The page said, "In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." It also said, "12 new from $1,339.00; 53 used from $790.00;10 refurbished from $935.29."

I added one to my cart. The price was the exact same $1339.00 B&H is charging here (external link). The difference? When you buy from B&H we include (at no extra charge) 1 SanDisk 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Extreme 400x UDMA Watson LP-E6 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1750mAh).

HelenOster wrote in post #16348469 (external link)
I'm always taken aback when Adorama (and B&H) are compared with Amazon.

Ditto. Amazon is a box house. B&H and Adorama are full-service retailers specializing in a wide range of electronics products. Comparing Amazon to B&H / Adorama is like comparing the NY Yankees to an individual gymnast. :-)

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

thirtyfivefifty
171 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 07, 2013 09:40 |  #95

B&H

tools

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 07, 2013 09:50 |  #96

henryp wrote in post #16352488 (external link)
Amazon is a box house. B&H and Adorama are full-service retailers specializing in a wide range of electronics products. Comparing Amazon to B&H / Adorama is like comparing the NY Yankees to an individual gymnast. :-)

bw!

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,207 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 07, 2013 10:31 |  #97

i think it makes perfect sense to compare B&H, adorama, and amazon...for the plain and simple reason of you sell things we want to buy...

most of the people here on the forum don't need to seek out advice from sellers as to what to buy...that's what the people on the forum are here to help with...yes, if there's a problem it's good to have people to contact...but how often are there really problems?

so in the end, it basically just comes down to price...if they're all the same, then great...just comes down to preference

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 07, 2013 10:44 |  #98

DreDaze wrote in post #16352632 (external link)
i think it makes perfect sense to compare B&H, adorama, and amazon...for the plain and simple reason of you sell things we want to buy...
so in the end, it basically just comes down to price...

Sure, you can compare, but as I said above:

Amazon, is the world's largest Internet retailer; it has:
12 fulfilment centers in the US
3 locations in Canada
4 locations in Scotland
5 in England
3 in Wales
5 in France
4 in Germany
4 in Japan
3 in China
1 in Slovakia
1 in Italy

That's 45!

Amazon operations are subsidized by investors who care only about growth.

Adorama is a family business in NYC with a single distribution center in New Jersey.......Now, the human face may not be as important to you - or to anyone on POTN.......

But for many, that's what makes us (and B&H) special. (oh, and on occasion, irritating :evil: frustratingvmad and endearing;)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 07, 2013 10:47 |  #99

HelenOster wrote in post #16352661 (external link)
Sure, you can compare, but as I said above:

Amazon operations are subsidized by investors who care only about growth.

They also subsidize expensive stuff (electronics, cameras, lenses, etc) to the point of losing money on it, by putting big markups on cheap, high volume stuff.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Oct 07, 2013 11:05 |  #100

henryp wrote in post #16352488 (external link)
I went to Amazon and typed "EOS 7D body" into their search field. The first of 400+ results said the price was $790.00. I clicked and was taken to a page where Amazon was selling the camera, not a partner. The page said, "In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com." It also said, "12 new from $1,339.00; 53 used from $790.00;10 refurbished from $935.29."

I added one to my cart. The price was the exact same $1339.00 B&H is charging here (external link). The difference? When you buy from B&H we include (at no extra charge) 1 SanDisk 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Extreme 400x UDMA Watson LP-E6 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1750mAh).

Ditto. Amazon is a box house. B&H and Adorama are full-service retailers specializing in a wide range of electronics products. Comparing Amazon to B&H / Adorama is like comparing the NY Yankees to an individual gymnast. :-)

CURIOUS ... before I clicked on the link you provided at B&H, I typed into the search box at B&H, "Canon EOS 7D" and was sent to a page where the 7D WAS $1499.00 (with free 16GB CF and battery ... $79.90 value) Went through all the steps needed to check out and the price stayed at $1499.00 ... NEVER saw that $1339.00 price until I clicked on YOUR link! Is that a special link?

Went to Adorama ... price $1499.00 with free 16GB card, Free battery and Free Slinger bag (I have the Slinger bag, GREAT bag! Use it all the time)

Went to Amazon ... $1339.00 for a new Canon eos 7D and can be delivered tomorrow!

OK, maybe I didn't spend enough time on any of those websites to find the lowest price but at quick glance, Amazon still has the lowest price unless I ask you for a link to the B&H lowest price ... huh?

And I will say it again, I have ordered from B&H, I have ordered from Adorama, and I have ordered from Amazon (most of my gear is from Adorama!) ... I found (and find) that Amazon has the lower price. I do my research on numerous websites ... Canon being the #1 research site followed by POTN and other users input which to me is THE best info when buying something.

As for the free stuff that comes with the order, it's nice to have but instead, maybe offer the camera with that $79.90 value off the camera if I don't want it? I have way more CF cards than I need as well as batteries ... rather have the $79.90 in my pocket! So I could get the 7D for $1262.10 ?

OOPS! Just checked B&H again ... Pop-up appeared on bottom of page giving prices for other retailers ... I can get the Canon EOS 7D w/32 GB CF, 2 batteries and a bunch of other accessories at that link (free shipping too) for $1249.99 (From Amazon through Electronic Basket ??? )

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,207 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 07, 2013 11:30 |  #101

when you click "begin checkout" at B&H it does go to the $1339 price...they'd probably sell a lot more if it showed it at that price, when placed in cart, like amazon does...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Meanderthal
532 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 07, 2013 14:04 |  #102

Perhaps a bit off topic: Agreeing with StarTsar, page 1: No hassles across border with B&H. All of their costs are included in their invoice. Have used them a dozen times. No problems with Adorama either, though they don't make their policies to Canada quite as clear as B&H does. Have also used Camera Canada, The Camera Store and Vistek, all without issues. Bought my 5D2 though Kijiji, cautiously and now completely satisfied.

http://spitzhaven.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)Photo gallery (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 07, 2013 14:19 |  #103

Meanderthal wrote in post #16353199 (external link)
.....No problems with Adorama either, though they don't make their policies to Canada quite as clear ....

We use a company called Bilsi:

http://www.photoprice.​ca …uty-brokerage-demystified (external link)

What is included in the final Adorama price? ALL taxes, duties, and brokerage fees are included in the final number when you select "Canada Shipping".
• Tax: Your local sales tax (GST + PST, or HST depending on province). If you are not in an HST province, only GST is charged (no PST). No taxes are due at delivery.
• Duty: Most camera equipment is duty free. If what you are buying is not, duties are included as well.
• Brokerage Fees: There are NO extra brokerage fees. Everything is already included in the shipping fee!
Go check out Adorama Camera for yourself, today http://www.adorama.com​/ (external link) and find out how the new Tax & Duty-Included Ground shipping is going to keep dollars in YOUR pocket!

[Thank you to photoprice.ca for saying it all so concisely and clearly]

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com (external link).

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 07, 2013 19:54 |  #104

Usually B&H or Best Buy/Future Shop in Canada. Love their return policies if I'm not happy with the item (no re-stocking fee in Canada, hope it stays that way). I'd only shop at places with excellent return policies (e.g. stay away from Vistek, 10% re-stocking fees).

gusnjax
662 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 08, 2013 07:09 |  #105

If you are looking for brand new......my first stop would be Amazon. As far as used as good as new (9/10) as sellers call it....IMO..once you take the lens out of the box and mount it to your camera, the lens should be devalued 10%....why....because normally if you purchase a lens and then return it, they are gonna charge you a restocking fee. Google is a great tool for finding the best price. Example...I was searching for a Canon 17-40 f4 (Amazon, POTN, Ebay)....finding people trying to resell that lens for more than a brand new one (http://overstockdigita​l.com …fo.php?products​_id=320257 (external link)) when you can get it brand new for $649.00. Amazons price $839.00....some sellers trying to sell theirs for low $700's.......all you need is google and some patience and you can find whatever you need at the price you want.

Canon 7D, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MK1, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Canon 430EX II.
flickr me here:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/royalhurlbert/ (external link)

sponsored links

18,530 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you purchase your lenses from?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.