Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you purchase your lenses from?

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 08, 2013 09:05 |  #106

johneo wrote in post #16352712 (external link)
CURIOUS ... before I clicked on the link you provided at B&H, I typed into the search box at B&H, "Canon EOS 7D" and was sent to a page where the 7D WAS $1499.00 (with free 16GB CF and battery ... $79.90 value) Went through all the steps needed to check out and the price stayed at $1499.00 ... NEVER saw that $1339.00 price until I clicked on YOUR link! Is that a special link?

You have to begin the checkout process by putting the camera into a shopping cart and supplying a zip code. That lets us show the real price without violating Canon USA's min advertized price rule.

Amazon still has the lowest price unless I ask you for a link to the B&H lowest price ... huh?

Honoring MAP agreements is part of our contractual relationship with our vendors. It would be ethically questionable for us to sign a contract saying we'll abide by MAP rules and then elect not to do so.

OOPS! Just checked B&H again ... Pop-up appeared on bottom of page giving prices for other retailers ... I can get the Canon EOS 7D w/32 GB CF, 2 batteries and a bunch of other accessories at that link (free shipping too) for $1249.99 (From Amazon through Electronic Basket ??? )

This is VERY fishy. We never send a customer a popup comparing our price to any other retailer's price. I think you have managed to acquire some sort of unsavory cookie or other applet you'd do well to rid yourself of.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

sponsored links
johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Oct 08, 2013 10:18 |  #107

henryp wrote in post #16355267 (external link)
You have to begin the checkout process by putting the camera into a shopping cart and supplying a zip code. That lets us show the real price without violating Canon USA's min advertized price rule.

So how is anyone supposed to know this? I go to the site, check the 7D price but that IS NOT the real price? REALLY? I look up something but the only way to know the real price is to begin the process of buying it? I really don't get that at all, especially when I can go to Amazon and KNOW at 1st glance what I will be paying for a product.

Let me say here again, I HAVE purchased from B&H and Adorama and was/am a happy customer, but that just seems starnge ... hiding the "actual" price until I order it ???

Honoring MAP agreements is part of our contractual relationship with our vendors. It would be ethically questionable for us to sign a contract saying we'll abide by MAP rules and then elect not to do so.

So Amazon is violating the rules? Ummm, I seem to order a LOT of stuff (my wife "giveS" me her order :rolleyes: ) and now I find out I shouldn't be saving the money I am when placing an order?

This is VERY fishy. We never send a customer a popup comparing our price to any other retailer's price. I think you have managed to acquire some sort of unsavory cookie or other applet you'd do well to rid yourself of.

Oh, I agree 100% but there it was! I know it wasn't from your website, nor any other legit site. I would question that site completely and still likely not order from them. This is a new computer (less than a week old) and I am getting rid of the bugs and popups! They drive me nuts!

My point is, I look for the best (lowest) price, no matter what I plan on ordering, if it comes from a reputable website/company ... to me, B&H, Adorama and Amazon are all reputable ... kind of like grocery shopping ... I now grocery shop at Walmart because the prices of what I buy are much lower than the "national" chain food store I used to shop at. Same products, MUCH lower prices!!!

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,209 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 08, 2013 10:27 |  #108

johneo wrote in post #16355483 (external link)
So how is anyone supposed to know this? I go to the site, check the 7D price but that IS NOT the real price? REALLY? I look up something but the only way to know the real price is to begin the process of buying it? I really don't get that at all, especially when I can go to Amazon and KNOW at 1st glance what I will be paying for a product.

the price does say 'product details at checkout' which is i think how most people would know the price...the thing is i think most are used to 'see price when put in cart' being displayed for other sites

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

jskaggs72
237 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 08, 2013 10:29 |  #109

Just got a135mm f2 from b&h. They r my favorite.

Jay Skaggs
5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 50mm 1.2, 85 mm 1.2, 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 ...
Virginia Beach Wedding Photographer (external link), Hampton Roads Wedding Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 08, 2013 10:34 |  #110

johneo wrote in post #16355483 (external link)

Let me say here again, I HAVE purchased from B&H and Adorama and was/am a happy customer, but that just seems starnge ... hiding the "actual" price until I order it ???

So Amazon is violating the rules? Ummm, I seem to order a LOT of stuff (my wife "giveS" me her order :rolleyes: ) and now I find out I shouldn't be saving the money I am when placing an order?]

Actually, Amazon does the same: (as do we, at Adorama)

http://www.amazon.com …html?ie=UTF8&do​cId=174014 (external link)

Why Don't We Show the Price?
Retailers like Amazon have the legal right to set their own prices independently, but some manufacturers place restrictions on how those prices may be communicated. Because our price on this item is lower than the manufacturer's "minimum advertised price," the manufacturer does not allow us to show you our price until you take further action, such as placing the item in your shopping cart, or in some cases, proceeding to the final checkout stage. The steps required depend on the details of the manufacturer's minimum advertised price policy. Taking these steps allows Amazon to show you our price consistent with our goal of always offering you the lowest possible prices on the widest selection of products.

This won't require you to purchase the product. You can easily remove it from your cart if you decide not to buy it.

We realize that this is an inconvenience and are regularly working to educate manufacturers on how their policies impact our customers. We welcome your comments and suggestions in our forum on this topic.

gusnjax
662 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 08, 2013 11:08 |  #111

This is why we come to POTN to purchase stuff.........now all the retailers are shady.

Canon 7D, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MK1, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Canon 430EX II.
flickr me here:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/royalhurlbert/ (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 08, 2013 11:13 |  #112

gusnjax wrote in post #16355591 (external link)
This is why we come to POTN to purchase stuff.........now all the retailers are shady.

:confused::confused::confused:

MAP is manufacturer-driven, not retailer-driven.......

http://www.sba.gov …-pricing-impacts-your-ret (external link)

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Oct 08, 2013 14:58 |  #113

HelenOster wrote in post #16355516 (external link)
Actually, Amazon does the same: (as do we, at Adorama)

http://www.amazon.com …html?ie=UTF8&do​cId=174014 (external link)

Why Don't We Show the Price?
... the manufacturer does not allow us to show you our price until you take further action, such as placing the item in your shopping cart, or in some cases, proceeding to the final checkout stage. The steps required depend on the details of the manufacturer's minimum advertised price policy.

This won't require you to purchase the product. You can easily remove it from your cart if you decide not to buy it.

Thank you very much for the explanation. I have been ordering ALL SORTS of things online, for YEARS and never knew about this. Likely most people do not know that either and I am guessing most people do as I do, I see a price for an item, check another couple of web retailers and find the lowest price and go with that ... pretty simple, really ... as any shopper would do at any point of purchase. I only start the checkout process when I know I am going to buy it, at the price I have seen on that item.

How do we get the manufacturers to stop this practice? Doesn't seem right ... as a consumer or, as I'm guessing, for the retailer as well!

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 08, 2013 15:02 |  #114

johneo wrote in post #16356195 (external link)
Thank you very much for the explanation. I have been ordering ALL SORTS of things online, for YEARS and never knew about this. Likely most people do not know that either and I am guessing most people do as I do, I see a price for an item, check another couple of web retailers and find the lowest price and go with that ... pretty simple, really ... as any shopper would do at any point of purchase.

How do we get the manufacturers to stop this practice? Doesn't seem right ... as a consumer or, as I'm guessing, for the retailer as well!

In some ways I support it.....it's one way to try to help ensure that the smaller stores aren't driven out of business.
Not just camera stores, either. Book stores are also a casualty.

Bill ­ Emmett
201 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 08, 2013 16:30 |  #115

I would like to add one more camera store to the list. I like KEH.com. They sell mostly used equipment, like lenses, cameras, and other equipment. All the equipment comes with a warranty, and from my experience they stick to it. I bought a Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM with IS, but got the 70-200mm 2.8 without IS. I shot a few shots with it, and it didn't work out, I sent it back, and got the EF 70-200mm f4L, IS USM as I originally ordered. The lens I finally got looked and was almost new, not a scratch. KEH touts every lens and camera is fully tested and passes rigorous testing standards, or otherwise noted to the customer.

New Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 50D, Canon 7D Classic, Canon 6D, Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM with IS, Canon 40mm pancake, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle, Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8L USM Macro, Tamron 18-270mm Dii VC, Tamron SP 150-600mm VC, Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USM, Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II USM, Tamron 2X Tele-Extender, 1.4 Tele-extender

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 08, 2013 19:42 |  #116

Personally when I'm buying new I order from Amazon. In fact I buy just about everything there. They generally have competitive prices and I get points on my credit card to buying there, which makes everything a tad cheaper in the longrun too. But I also buy on Craigslist when I see a good local deal come along.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 09, 2013 11:16 |  #117

johneo wrote in post #16356195 (external link)

Several years ago I attended a round-table discussion featuring most of the NJ camera retailers. There were more then than now. Several local reps for authorized US equipment distributors were there too.

One of the topics was MAP, minimum advertized price. Every local mom-n-pop store owner exclaimed how much they LOVED MAP regs because it let them seem to be competing with the big boys (B&H and our ilk) on what appeared to be a level playing field. If every retailer, big or small, has to show the same price for a particular item, the unwary customer may consider it reasonable and more convenient to shop with the mom-n-pop store not knowing that if you just ask (or put the item into a shopping cart) the real selling price may be lower.

What makes this more complex today is two factors:
- Internet shopping has made MAP rules more complex, made compliance more difficult and made revealing the real lower price more of a magic trick. - On top of MAP regs we now have 'unilateral price' rules to contend with. Where MAP sets the lowest advertized price, 'unilateral pricing," (made legal by Leegin (external link)) sets the lowest permitted selling price.

For both MAP and 'unilateral price' rules, enforcement is very strict and punishments for violations are draconian.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
3,116 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 09, 2013 17:45 |  #118

Originally Posted by RayinAlaska

It's not that I agree with this view, but that's the way things are nowadays, and perhaps a reason why a lot of local business are closing their doors (competition is killing them). A lot of the expense is paying for the prime real state the store is using.

And now you know why there are no local good jobs. Shop locally a maybe save your own job someday.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 09, 2013 23:31 |  #119

Nick5 wrote in post #16359139 (external link)
Originally Posted by RayinAlaska

It's not that I agree with this view, but that's the way things are nowadays, and perhaps a reason why a lot of local business are closing their doors (competition is killing them). A lot of the expense is paying for the prime real state the store is using.

And now you know why there are no local good jobs. Shop locally a maybe save your own job someday.

I have said several times (read my other posts) that the price of Canon lenses and cameras are set by Canon. It means that the lenses and cameras cost the same throughout the US. In that sense, if the lens I am looking for is available locally, I buy it here. But if it's not, I buy it online from any of the stores mentioned in this thread, one that has free shipping to Alaska.

Nick5
Goldmember
3,116 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 10, 2013 10:12 |  #120

I look at the Macro side of it as opposed to the Micro side.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

sponsored links

18,540 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you purchase your lenses from?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.