Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you purchase your lenses from?

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 10, 2013 13:14 |  #121

Nick5 wrote in post #16360423 (external link)
I look at the Macro side of it as opposed to the Micro side.

I look at my cash supply, first.

sponsored links
Trapstar
36 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 10, 2013 21:18 |  #122

I usually buy on CL or a camera store near buy. but if i was online shopping i would buy from amazon. i have heard wonderful things about B&H though.

Canon 1D Mark III - 50mm 1.4/ 70-200 f/4 L
Canon 7D w/grip for sale, Message me!
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/blackxmagic/ (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,810 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 10, 2013 23:18 as a reply to  @ Trapstar's post |  #123

For whatever reason I started my larger purchases with B&H and they have been so good that I go there first now. Honestly I don't shop around much and I'm not going to bother saving 5-10% to go somewhere else (except Adorama). B&H shipping is awesome, even free shipping usually gets shipped very quickly.

If they don't have what I'm looking for, then its Adorama who seem as good and I also wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

I would use Amazon last, although it does seem that people are satisfied with them. With my non-camera purchases shipping had not been as reliable.

Adorama and B&H are probably so good and professional that is doesn't make any difference, but I like the fact that I have a history with a company in case something 'goes wrong'. B&H can see how often and how much I've spent with them so it's pretty obvious I'm not going to be trying something stupid (like trying to return a lens that I've used for an event or something).

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

clarnibass
793 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 11, 2013 00:36 |  #124

I bought most of my lenses at a local store. Whatever is not in stock, they ask the local distributer if they have it in stock. Usually they do and they get it to the store between same day or a few days usually (depends on the company). What the distributer doesn't have in stock, can take a while sometimes but isn't slower than any other method anyway.

Then I go to the store and try it extensively before deciding whether to buy it or not. If it works as it should I buy it.

www.nitailevi.com (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 11, 2013 07:00 |  #125

ejenner wrote in post #16362097 (external link)

Adorama and B&H are probably so good and professional that is doesn't make any difference, but I like the fact that I have a history with a company in case something 'goes wrong'. B&H can see how often and how much I've spent with them so it's pretty obvious I'm not going to be trying something stupid (like trying to return a lens that I've used for an event or something).

I find that there's very little to choose between B&H and Adorama, except that Adorama seems to have more small accessories available than B&H does. I can't recall any specific examples off the top of my head, but several times I have found stuff at Adorama that I couldn't find anywhere else except eBay, and I trust Adorama a lot more than I do eBay.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 11, 2013 07:15 |  #126

Amazon usually. I have their CC and prime account so I get 3% off with CC and overnight shipping is only $3.99. Best return/exchange policy as well.

I use Adorama and B&H also, but amazon is my default.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sloanbj
297 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 12, 2013 05:36 |  #127

Citiwide online (Hong Kong internet retailer) or at retail shops in Seoul, if I am in town. There is a section of town with literally dozens of camera shops all selling Canon and Nikon, both new and used. Prices are fabulous.

Flickr (external link) 5Dii * Canon 50 * 85 * 17-40L * 24-105L * 180L * 100-400L * 580ex ii
Film: Contax | Rolleiflex | Pentax

chrismid259
156 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 12, 2013 16:44 |  #128

Usually purchase lenses new from Amazon or second hand from MPB Photographic.

Fujifilm X-T3, X-H1
Website (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 14, 2013 12:59 |  #129

ejenner wrote in post #16362097 (external link)
For whatever reason I started my larger purchases with B&H and they have been so good that I go there first now. Honestly I don't shop around much and I'm not going to bother saving 5-10% to go somewhere else (except Adorama). B&H shipping is awesome, even free shipping usually gets shipped very quickly.

Thank you.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

hotled
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 28, 2013 20:56 as a reply to  @ henryp's post |  #130

Just wanted to thank B&H for the quick sipping of my lens, and then today a nice surprise showed up in my email giving me a Rewards Card for 49.96 so I went ahead and placed an order for a Canon 200EG Deluxe Backpack (which is basically a freebie with my card) for knocking around town in.

I just wished you guys carried the Yongnuo flash line so I didn't have to order from other vendors:(

Ken
Canon 7D | ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon EF 50 1.8 | Σ 70-200 2.8 EX DG OS HSM| YN-568EX II | YN-622
My Fickr (external link)

koala ­ yummies
736 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 29, 2013 17:24 as a reply to  @ hotled's post |  #131

When I first started around 6 years ago I made all my purchases from Adorama, and never had a complaint. The best photography instructor at my school soon told me about B&H, and I've been using them ever since (I basically prefer the B&H website, thats it), but not without complaint...

Since there is a B&H rep checking-in here (this thread only, first time I've ever seen one from B&H, whereas Hellen from Adorama is everywhere), I want to leave this one small suggestion with you: Take a few extra seconds packaging your products before shipping them, and H-Tape the boxes. I hate to belittle my own people as well, but it wouldn't hurt to not be so incredibly cheap with the type of tape either.

Almost all of the gear in my gear list was purchased from you B&H, and at least half of it has arrived looking like this: Torn tape on boxes, this is the most common problem, the boxes arriving half-opened, the 24L was practically hanging out of the box when it arrived, I could have pulled it out through the open hole. Completely deflated cell-o-air, basically an empty clear trash bag, what protection does that offer? Lack of sufficient support inside the box when shipping products cross-country that cost between $2,000-and $5,000.00. The Fedex guy almost instinctively files notes about the conditions that all of the B&H boxes arrive in now.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Whereas this is the level of care and respect I show to the people buying my used equipment:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

flickr (external link)

hrblaine
284 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 30, 2013 08:26 |  #132

Adorama, Amazon and B/H. That's it. All dependable and fast enuf shipping to suit me. Fair price too, imho.

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 30, 2013 08:40 as a reply to  @ hrblaine's post |  #133

People who sell used on potn normally package the items ten times better compared to the big stores because they care about the equipment they are selling.

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
3,128 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 30, 2013 09:01 |  #134

It's all about time and the damage fail rate that determines the packaging detail. Until the rate increases, why change. Time is money. That is how it works unfortunately.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 30, 2013 09:06 |  #135

I buy the majority of my stuff from Amazon unless its something I absolutely need today (and its over $100 so I get free parking), then I buy from B&H. When I was in San Fran Calumet was my go to store for emergencies, but their prices are ridiculous. Ive bought in the past from Adorama, 17th street photo and 42nd street photo. The latter with mixed results. Also bought one lens from Beach camera.

The longer I've been into this hobby the less the human element has been important to me in terms of equipment purchase. I've had better luck researching products on the net than purchasing at the advise of a salesperson. B&H seems to have the magic mix of sales assistance and controlling prices but often they still cant compete with Amazon for cost and convenience (for me anyway). Their store is great although I don't care for the checkout experience. Cant argue with how efficient it is though I guess.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

18,759 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you purchase your lenses from?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.