Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DPP and LR5

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 29, 2013 09:46 |  #1

I think I'm about as far as I can go with DPP and after reading about and watching some Tutorials on LR5, I'm ready to pull the trigger for this product. My question for ya'll is, is LR5 a stand alone post processing software? Or, do I use it in conjunction with DPP? Or, does it just depends on what needs to be done...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

sponsored links
frozenframe
Goldmember
1,692 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 29, 2013 09:56 |  #2

You can do everything you done in DPP and more in LR5. I started using DPP, then purchased LR4. It wasn't long thereafter that I stopped using DPP altogether. I then upgraded to LR5.

Ron
My Gear List

spur
391 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 29, 2013 10:30 |  #3

Lightroom will take you to a whole new level.
Start with: https://www.youtube.co​m …=UUHIRBiAd-PtmNxAcLnGfwog (external link) and then https://www.youtube.co​m …=UUHIRBiAd-PtmNxAcLnGfwog (external link) to get a good foundation.
Then stuff by Serge Ramelli https://www.youtube.co​m/user/cmoeu?feature=w​atch (external link) to see what can be done with Lightroom. I really like this one: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=VVuCiT9NMF0 (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,478 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 29, 2013 11:40 |  #4

Your DPP will get dusty.

Elie / אלי

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 29, 2013 17:00 |  #5

personally between 90 and 95% of all of my editing needs are dealt with in LR, for the other 5-10% then I need to go to Photoshop. The thing is that I don't think DPP will do any of those things LR can't do either.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

mak65
331 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 29, 2013 17:50 |  #6

I haven't done anything with my DPP in years since getting LR.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,412 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 29, 2013 18:47 as a reply to  @ mak65's post |  #7

I have Lightroom but still use DPP every day.... the disk makes a great coaster for my tea.

Actually there is one thing that DPP can do that LR can't. DPP can display the focus point that was used when taking a photo. Of course it is only of use if trying to diagnose potential focus issues. Other than that LR all the way.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 29, 2013 19:14 |  #8

You can only use one Raw processor with your Raw files, because Raw processors don't "share" the editing data. So, try out Lightroom and decide which you prefer to use.

DPP does have some "cool" features, but if you do process Raw files with it using those "features" then if you want the resulting images in Lightroom you will need to Convert the Raw into tiff or jpeg.

Most of us who use Lightroom just do our Raw processing in Lightroom. DPP is something we can "play" with but the "real" processing is in LR.

That being said, there are folks here who are happily using DPP...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Oct 01, 2013 13:15 |  #9

The only thing I have used DPP for since switching to LR is the HDR feature to combine the RAW exposures from the HDR feature of my 5D3. There are more adjustments available in DPP than in-camera on the 5D3. Since I rarely use the HDR feature on the 5D3, though (mostly just to play around), I've only launched DPP a handful of times in the past year.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 01, 2013 18:26 as a reply to  @ Scott M's post |  #10

Thanks frozenframe, spur, tzalman, BigAl007, mak65, Dan Marchant, tonylong and Scott M for the comments. I'm going to buy LR5 as soon as I'm done typing.

Funny thing, I've been trying to D/L the free trial offer for the last couple of days to try it out, but it won't down load and if I run it long enough, IE freezes up then crashes to the desk top...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Ltdave
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 01, 2013 20:22 as a reply to  @ Chief_10Beers's post |  #11

i have both but have yet to dive into LR5...

it definitely seems more complex to me...

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,478 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 02, 2013 04:07 |  #12

Chief_10Beers wrote in post #16339301 (external link)
Thanks frozenframe, spur, tzalman, BigAl007, mak65, Dan Marchant, tonylong and Scott M for the comments. I'm going to buy LR5 as soon as I'm done typing.

Funny thing, I've been trying to D/L the free trial offer for the last couple of days to try it out, but it won't down load and if I run it long enough, IE freezes up then crashes to the desk top...............

I would strongly recommend getting that sorted out before purchasing, for several reasons. First, to know what you are buying and whether you really want it. Just good consumerism. The download/trial version is identical to the disk version except that it stops working after a month unless an unlocking key has been fed to it. So what you are really buying is only the key number. Second, Lightroom is updated approximately every three months. As well as new camera support the update often contains bug fixes and operational improvements and occasionally new features, so it will be worthwhile downloading each time the updated versions. In fact, the disk version will be 5.0 (they don't make new disks and exchange them in all the stores after each update) and LR is currently on 5.2, so immediately after installing it from the disk you will want to download the newer version. (Strongly recommended - 5.0 was quite buggy, including a few very serious ones that have been fixed.)

Ltdave wrote in post #16339553 (external link)
i have both but have yet to dive into LR5...

it definitely seems more complex to me...

Understatement of the year.

Elie / אלי

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,101 posts
Gallery: 2069 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 02, 2013 09:00 |  #13

Some great info on the exact same question I was going to post and i too am delighted with LR even the edition mk 3 i use its brilliant, - however I have a question -
When i was using DPP for all my Raw files i would work on them noise/levels/sharpenin​g etc then save and save and convert, the file/s would then be saved as a tiff or jpeg into my host/default image viewer(FastStone) and the saved Raw file i would put in its own folder again in FastStone.
But i am curious - is the Raw file that is saved in the folder i mentioned, a completely bare un processed Raw or a worked file? I ask this because i have been opening these Raw files saved in this FastStone folder, and transfering them into LR3 but when i do this some of these files are not showing the Raw default settings on the sliders, and are showing pp adjustments of incresed levels - sharpness/saturation/c​ontrast and color noise reduction not luminace reduction, this seems odd as i assumed these Raws would have been un altered.
So when i do pp work on these in LR3 they are not clean Raws like i am after, and they are like - noise reduction-sharpened-noise reduction-sharpened etc.

Any ideas folks?

P.

Some stuff.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 02, 2013 11:36 |  #14

tzalman wrote in post #16340198 (external link)
In fact, the disk version will be 5.0 (they don't make new disks and exchange them in all the stores after each update) and LR is currently on 5.2, so immediately after installing it from the disk you will want to download the newer version.

Forget the installation disk if it contains version 5.0. Just get the latest version (currently v5.2) directly from Adobe. Installing previous version is not a requirement.

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 02, 2013 17:52 |  #15

tzalman wrote in post #16340198 (external link)
I would strongly recommend getting that sorted out before purchasing, for several reasons. First, to know what you are buying and whether you really want it. Just good consumerism. The download/trial version is identical to the disk version except that it stops working after a month unless an unlocking key has been fed to it. So what you are really buying is only the key number. Second, Lightroom is updated approximately every three months. As well as new camera support the update often contains bug fixes and operational improvements and occasionally new features, so it will be worthwhile downloading each time the updated versions. In fact, the disk version will be 5.0 (they don't make new disks and exchange them in all the stores after each update) and LR is currently on 5.2, so immediately after installing it from the disk you will want to download the newer version. (Strongly recommended - 5.0 was quite buggy, including a few very serious ones that have been fixed.)

Understatement of the year.

Too late, I already ordered LR5. I just came back from the Adobe web site and I still cannot L/D that bugger. I hit the button and nothing happens...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

sponsored links

3,425 views & 0 likes for this thread
DPP and LR5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.