Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 07:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

600EX help needed.

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 05, 2013 07:02 |  #1

I hope someone can help me with this.

I bought an optical slave trigger (Wein HS-XL) for my 600EX, hoping to be able to trigger my flash by the light from my studio strobe. But I just can't get it to fire.

My question is why? :) The trigger is batteryless, and there is no on/off button.

Do I need to set the 600EX into some special mode before using it this way?

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

sponsored links
draderusa
317 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 05, 2013 08:36 |  #2

Ginga wrote in post #16347608 (external link)
I hope someone can help me with this.

I bought an optical slave trigger (Wein HS-XL) for my 600EX, hoping to be able to trigger my flash by the light from my studio strobe. But I just can't get it to fire.

My question is why? :) The trigger is batteryless, and there is no on/off button.

Do I need to set the 600EX into some special mode before using it this way?

I am really just guessing here, but do you have wireless mode turned off on the 600EX? If it is in regular ETTL or Manual mode I can't see why it would not fire. Do you have another speedlite you can use to see if the trigger is at fault? Hopefully someone with direct experience with your trigger will respond.

Dave
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS T4i -- EFS 18-135 STM, EFS 10-22 USM, EF 40 f2.8 STM, EF 50 f1.4, 600EX-RT (3), YN-E3-RT, AD-360, FT16 (2), YN560II, YN622C (4), YN622C-TX

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 05, 2013 08:41 |  #3

Canon flashes are fickle when it comes to attached optical slave sensors. You need a slave sensor specifically designed for Canon EX flash units. You can find some here:
http://flashzebra.com (external link)

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
3,083 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 05, 2013 08:53 |  #4

Do you have the 600EX-RT or the 600 EX without radio transmission built in?

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 05, 2013 13:29 |  #5

A lot of studio strobes have a built-in slave mode. Have you tried setting your studio strobe to fire from the 600ex?

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Ginga
THREAD ­ STARTER
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 05, 2013 13:48 |  #6

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

draderusa wrote in post #16347728 (external link)
I am really just guessing here, but do you have wireless mode turned off on the 600EX? If it is in regular ETTL or Manual mode I can't see why it would not fire. Do you have another speedlite you can use to see if the trigger is at fault? Hopefully someone with direct experience with your trigger will respond.

I have tried with regular ETTL and manual mode. It doesn't fire even if I hold the optical slave right in front of the studio strobe.. So yeah, I guess the trigger might be broken. :/

Curtis N wrote in post #16347735 (external link)
Canon flashes are fickle when it comes to attached optical slave sensors. You need a slave sensor specifically designed for Canon EX flash units. You can find some here:
http://flashzebra.com (external link)

Yes, but Adorama told me that the Wein HS-XL works with the 600EX. That's why I bought it.

Nick5 wrote in post #16347757 (external link)
Do you have the 600EX-RT or the 600 EX without radio transmission built in?

I got the one with radio transmission. I know what you are getting at - that I should just use the radio trigger instead. :) Yes, but I want the optical slave trigger to work too.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 05, 2013 16:47 |  #7

Ginga wrote in post #16348282 (external link)
Yes, but Adorama told me that the Wein HS-XL works with the 600EX. That's why I bought it.

There's nothing on Adorama's web site or B&H web site that specifically says it's Canon EX compatible. Someone spoke beyond his knowledge.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Ginga
THREAD ­ STARTER
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 05, 2013 17:11 |  #8

Curtis N wrote in post #16348580 (external link)
There's nothing on Adorama's web site or B&H web site that specifically says it's Canon EX compatible. Someone spoke beyond his knowledge.

Yeah, it was an e-mail conversation with Adorama customer support.

Well. Guess I'm gonna have to look for another one. :(

WillMass
634 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 05, 2013 18:36 as a reply to  @ Ginga's post |  #9

Plus 1 on both of Curtis' posts. He knows his shiz!

Don't waste anymore of your time or money. go to FlashZebra and get the right item.

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/LiquidPixelsPhoto/ (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,487 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 06, 2013 09:50 |  #10

Although a number of web sites have confirmed that the Wein HS –XL can operate with Canon EX compatibility, many blogs have determined the operation is inconsistent, and will only fire 45% of time

Wein however, have told us that it WILL work.

I think if it were me, I'd go directly to Wein: Telephone #: (213) 749-6049

Ginga
THREAD ­ STARTER
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 06, 2013 10:10 |  #11

HelenOster wrote in post #16349862 (external link)
Although a number of web sites have confirmed that the Wein HS –XL can operate with Canon EX compatibility, many blogs have determined the operation is inconsistent, and will only fire 45% of time

Wein however, have told us that it WILL work.

I think if it were me, I'd go directly to Wein: Telephone #: (213) 749-6049

Thanks! I'll give them a call.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 06, 2013 11:30 as a reply to  @ Ginga's post |  #12

Tried all that, just being mean I thought I would augment my Bowens by using the two 600 EX RTs - after all in studio mode they just sit in the bag!

A friend tried numerous optical triggers, with variable levels of success - to me as I have Pro Bowens kit and the bowens pulsar TX radio triggers if I press the shutter it must flash every single time. I just can't be bothered with hit and miss crap.

I did go the STE-3 route and that makes the 600s flash everytime, and that is my studio radio trigger backup if god forbid the Pulsar TX system died on me. {NB I had to have the 600s for outside work.

Actually I came across some real low tech Yongnuo 560 IIs £40 delivered on Amazon, GN 58 ? [my a*s*] more like a little more powerful than the 430IIs. BUT for targeted additional lights, where say you can't stick a thumping great Bowens Pro moonlight and a wide angle reflector, and power cables etc. they WORK EVERYTIME ON 'S1'.
Now got two!
For us brits it's about the same price or a pound cheaper; as a Flash Zebra Cell and adapter and postage! [that my friend says is the best]
AND THE ICING ON THE CAKE IS THEY ALSO WORK ON S2 with the 600s being triggered by the STE-3 even in ETTL2 mode!

Summary - for the same price as a flash zebra photo cell trigger and the required adapter, I get a fully functioning speedlight - that is fired from the bowens studio flash, no wires or attachments; as its photocell is built in. And they can be fired from the 600s in radio mode from the STE-3 trigger.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Ginga
THREAD ­ STARTER
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 06, 2013 12:34 |  #13

Submariner wrote in post #16350083 (external link)
Tried all that, just being mean I thought I would augment my Bowens by using the two 600 EX RTs - after all in studio mode they just sit in the bag!

A friend tried numerous optical triggers, with variable levels of success - to me as I have Pro Bowens kit and the bowens pulsar TX radio triggers if I press the shutter it must flash every single time. I just can't be bothered with hit and miss crap.

I did go the STE-3 route and that makes the 600s flash everytime, and that is my studio radio trigger backup if god forbid the Pulsar TX system died on me. {NB I had to have the 600s for outside work.

Actually I came across some real low tech Yongnuo 560 IIs £40 delivered on Amazon, GN 58 ? [my a*s*] more like a little more powerful than the 430IIs. BUT for targeted additional lights, where say you can't stick a thumping great Bowens Pro moonlight and a wide angle reflector, and power cables etc. they WORK EVERYTIME ON 'S1'.
Now got two!
For us brits it's about the same price or a pound cheaper; as a Flash Zebra Cell and adapter and postage! [that my friend says is the best]
AND THE ICING ON THE CAKE IS THEY ALSO WORK ON S2 with the 600s being triggered by the STE-3 even in ETTL2 mode!

Summary - for the same price as a flash zebra photo cell trigger and the required adapter, I get a fully functioning speedlight - that is fired from the bowens studio flash, no wires or attachments; as its photocell is built in. And they can be fired from the 600s in radio mode from the STE-3 trigger.

Thanks for the tip. The Yongnuo 560 II looks great!

I'm gonna order two of them right away. They are cheaper than booze! :D

sponsored links

1,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
600EX help needed.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.