Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 07 Oct 2013 (Monday) 17:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Visiting Vancouver, BC

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 07, 2013 17:05 |  #1

I need help from POTN members in Seattle and Vancouver area or anyone who's been to the Butchart garden Victoria BC.

I'm planning to visit Vancouver for 3 nights and Victoria BC (1 night) at the end of October to see fall foliage and of course take lots of photos.

Is the Butchart gardens worth visiting? Does it look better in Fall or Spring (for landscape photography)? I'm hoping to see lots of vivid fall colors.

How much (approximately) does it cost to take my rental car and 2 travelers (including myself) from Vancouver to Victoria? What other places of interest are there in Victoria BC?

I have a list of places to visit in Vancouver. They are the Stanley Park, Queen Elizabeth garden, Capilano suspension bridge, Chinatown, Robson Street, Gas town. Please suggest other great places for photography, both in Vancouver and Victoria BC. I'd like to be as well informed as possible before I get there.

Thanks much.

sponsored links
halitime
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 07, 2013 17:48 |  #2

The weather on Van. Island usually is crappy that time of year. Buchart would probably be better in the Spring.Victoria is a beautiful city..!! The inner harbour has many attractions and photo ops.
This is the Ferry you want to take: http://www.bcferries.c​om …/pdf_format/BCF​_Fares.pdf (external link)

Gear List : 1D MK II n,Gripped XSi,70-200 f4,300 f4 IS,Canon 24-105 f4,35 f2 IS,EF 50 1.8 MK I,EF-S 10-22,Canon 1.4 II Extender,Canon 25mm Ext Tube,YN 468/460 II,RF 602's
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/halitime/sets/ (external link)

morph2_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 07, 2013 18:51 |  #3

Thanks for the reply, halitime. I've downloaded the BC ferries fare. Where exactly is inner harbor?

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 07, 2013 19:31 as a reply to  @ morph2_7's post |  #4

Have a look at this thread, it might give a good hint of what is available. I'm not sure if the previous poster meant False Creek but if it is I agree 100%. There's a little "tug boat" that for a few buck will ferry you to Grandville island. A day pass on the Skytrain (LRT) might be worthwhile. The Skytrain has no driver, so if you go during the none rush hour. You can take the first car and sit right in front. BTW, your fare includes a ride to the seabus which will take you to Lonsdale quay.

If you are going to Capilano, there's a nearby salmon fish hatchery. And a few km from that same road is Grouse Mtn. If you go early you can do your landscape photography and once the sun goes down you can have dinner up there and take a nighttime shot of the entire Lower Mainland. Someone can correct me but I think you can see Mt. Baker (USA) from here. Cypress Mtn. Is another good area to shoot fall colours but you need a car to get there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. If you are into birds. The Reifel bird sanctuary is also nice to visit. I believe the Oct is the time that the snow geese arrives in thousands. Admission fee is cheaper than Starbucks

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

halitime
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 07, 2013 20:08 |  #5

Victoria's Inner Harbour: http://www.victoriabc.​ca/victoria/inner_harb​our.htm (external link)

http://www.bing.com ….+Inner+Harbour​&FORM=LARE (external link)

http://www.explorevanc​ouverisland.com …Buildings_Victo​ria_BC.htm (external link)

Lots to see..!!

Gear List : 1D MK II n,Gripped XSi,70-200 f4,300 f4 IS,Canon 24-105 f4,35 f2 IS,EF 50 1.8 MK I,EF-S 10-22,Canon 1.4 II Extender,Canon 25mm Ext Tube,YN 468/460 II,RF 602's
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/halitime/sets/ (external link)

PicBug
644 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 07, 2013 20:18 |  #6

We visited the area in July this year, ferried across, and went to Butchart Gardens - it was fabulous - don't know how it would be in the fall - why don't you contact them and see what's photographical this time of year there?

my little gallery (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)
Diamond Willow Photography Website (external link)
Canon 6D,Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DiVC, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 135L, Sigma 85 1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 430EX II, Sigma 24-70 2.8, LR5 Editing

morph2_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 07, 2013 23:05 |  #7

Thanks all. I see what you meant by inner harbor. I thought you were talking about Vancouver area.
Lots of info here. I'm going to digest all of them slowly :-)

I just realize the Butchart gardens has sample photos on their websites showing all 4 seasons. The gardens look great all 3 seasons except winter time. It definitely looks least pleasant during winter. I'll checkout their facebook page. Hopefully the have up to date gardens photos.

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 27, 2013 13:03 |  #8

Don't forget about VanDusen Gardens in Vancouver at Oak and 37th. I've been a member here for a couple of years. It's massive. Just be careful not to get lost ;)

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

morph2_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 04, 2013 11:34 |  #9

Bummer, I got VanDusen gardens in my itinerary but decided to skip it. I thought it was a tiny garden and not worth a visit. I should've checked this forum during my vacation. I spent the whole day on Sunday, Oct 27 at Queen Elizabeth park and Stanley park. The Butchart Japanese garden still has lots of gorgeous fall color. I got lucky the weather was great the whole 3 days I was there, at least it didn't rain at all.

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 05, 2013 19:58 |  #10

Thanks for the thread. I'll be in Vancouver the first week of December -- first visit to that city. Deciding on which lenses to pack (landscape/street) in a Domke F2. And will I regret it if I leave my Manfrotto 190 tripod at home...

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,494 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2013 20:12 |  #11

Also, you're almost guaranteed to wind up in Stanley Park at some point while you're there. Keep your eyes peeled for the little, masked bandits that run the place (raccoons) :D They're a sneaky bunch and will be on your shoelaces before you know it...

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

morph2_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 06, 2013 12:09 |  #12

Corbeau wrote in post #16427775 (external link)
Thanks for the thread. I'll be in Vancouver the first week of December -- first visit to that city. Deciding on which lenses to pack (landscape/street) in a Domke F2. And will I regret it if I leave my Manfrotto 190 tripod at home...

The longest focal length in my backpack is a 50mm. I don't know if anything longer will be useful or not because I don't have one (I''m using a crop sensor btw). I used my tripod exclusively for night/long exposure photography and for taking our (wife and I) picture together. You'll be fine without a tripod if you don't plan on taking either one. Vancouver skyline looks nice from Stanley Park.

Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 06, 2013 16:15 |  #13

Thanks... I might borrow a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS as a walk around lens for my 7D (but I don't know how's the IQ on that lens...) as well as either the 70-200 f/4 or my ever-so-sharp 85 f/1.8... Most of my free time will be after 4 p.m., which points towards bringing the tripod...

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

sponsored links

1,413 views & 0 likes for this thread
Visiting Vancouver, BC
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.