Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Oct 2013 (Tuesday) 05:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kenco tubes on FF or Crop for better (Closer) results??

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 08, 2013 05:13 |  #1

Kenco tubes on FF or Crop for better (Closer) results with a 50mm or any lens??

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2013 09:47 |  #2

It's certainly a viable, affordable alternative to buying more lenses. A 20mm tube on your 50mm lens gives you a 70mm lens, and will cost you about 2/3 of a stop of light. A 36mm tube gives you an 86mm lens, and costs you about a stop and a third. It's surely worth a try.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 08, 2013 09:49 |  #3

Crop uses less of the lens with the same minimum focus distance, so in theory, it should get you "closer" by putting more pixels on target.

Nick_Reading.UK
THREAD ­ STARTER
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 08, 2013 09:57 |  #4

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16355382 (external link)
It's certainly a viable, affordable alternative to buying more lenses. A 20mm tube on your 50mm lens gives you a 70mm lens, and will cost you about 2/3 of a stop of light. A 36mm tube gives you an 86mm lens, and costs you about a stop and a third. It's surely worth a try.

Thanks.. But I know that. my question is.. Do you get closer with Crop or FF??

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

Nick_Reading.UK
THREAD ­ STARTER
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 08, 2013 09:57 |  #5

robertwsimpson wrote in post #16355391 (external link)
Crop uses less of the lens with the same minimum focus distance, so in theory, it should get you "closer" by putting more pixels on target.

Ok, cheers

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 08, 2013 10:13 |  #6

If you're cropping the image down after you take it, it's more about pixel density than sensor size, but as a general rule, crop sensors are more pixel dense than full frame ones.

If you're using the whole frame without cropping the image file, a crop sensor will be closer, because it's a tighter crop of the whole image circle. does that make sense?

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 08, 2013 13:13 |  #7

Do you get closer with Crop or FF??

Neither. Minimum focusing/ working distances will be identical. And at that distance, the image size on the sensor will be identical.

One difference, as Robert says, is pixel density. FF cameras generally have much lower pixel density, which is what allows them to have larger photosites and lower noise. Because the image size will be identical on the two sensors, this means that the crop will have far more pixels on the subject. I haven't done the arithmetic for a while, but I believe that with a 5DII and 7D, the FF has roughly 40% as many pixels on the subject.

There is a difference in reach, which is another matter. That is, suppose you want to fill the frame with a bug and move closer until you accomplish that. You will be further away with the crop because of the smaller field of view. However, there is no reason to use tubes unless you are near or at minimum working distance, so reach is not relevant then.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 08, 2013 14:50 |  #8

paddler4 wrote in post #16355944 (external link)
Neither. Minimum focusing/ working distances will be identical. And at that distance, the image size on the sensor will be identical.

One difference, as Robert says, is pixel density. FF cameras generally have much lower pixel density, which is what allows them to have larger photosites and lower noise. Because the image size will be identical on the two sensors, this means that the crop will have far more pixels on the subject. I haven't done the arithmetic for a while, but I believe that with a 5DII and 7D, the FF has roughly 40% as many pixels on the subject.

There is a difference in reach, which is another matter. That is, suppose you want to fill the frame with a bug and move closer until you accomplish that. You will be further away with the crop because of the smaller field of view. However, there is no reason to use tubes unless you are near or at minimum working distance, so reach is not relevant then.

huh, I never really thought about that last part. then again, I don't have extension tubes... but I have been lusting after them for a while. Now I can lust less.

sponsored links

790 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kenco tubes on FF or Crop for better (Closer) results??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.