Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 07:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Video viewing possibilities on the 5D MK3??

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 09, 2013 07:57 |  #1

I assume it is Possible to load a video file onto a CF or SD card and play it back..?
Would you just drag and drop it onto the card or does it have to be in a certain folder??
Which formats would it support as I have a 5D Tutorial in MP4 format.?

Thanks

Nick

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,267 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 10, 2013 12:44 |  #2

Interesting question. Have you checked the manual? One thing I see in the Canon line up only the cameras with the Digic 6 processor seem to be able to make, and hence view mp4.

There are video tutorials on the 5diii at http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …d_markiii_tutor​ials.shtml (external link). Over to the right there are instructions on putting them on a card for in camera viewing. Perhaps some help there or even a tutorial related to what you have.

ADDED: Looking at page 382 of the manual the "native" movie format seems to be MP4. Why don't you take a card that you don't mind formatting, format it in camera, then shot a small test clip. Then observe the file structure on the card (out of camera) using a reader. Move your MP4 onto the card, observing file structure and see if it then plays in camera. Report back the results which may be of interest to others.

By the way page 265 of the manual has the following ststements...

"Movies on a card can be played only on devices compatible with MOV files." It would seem the 5DIII is a compatible device.

"A movie edited with a personal computer cannot be rewritten to the card and played back with the camera." The ramifications of that statement may not be fully understood until you try things.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,003 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 10, 2013 17:43 |  #3

As far as I am aware it is not possible for the camera to "see" image/video file on the memory disc that wasn't written by the camera. I guess you could get away with swapping cameras of the same model/firmware version.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 10, 2013 21:48 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #4

I'm at work, so I can't test this, but I do recall Canon releasing instructional videos for the 5D3 and saying you can play them back in camera. So that would mean you can indeed play a video with the proper format back in camera.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,267 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 11, 2013 08:41 |  #5

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16361933 (external link)
I do recall Canon releasing instructional videos for the 5D3 and saying you can play them back in camera. So that would mean you can indeed play a video with the proper format back in camera.

That is what I was referring to in post #2 above.

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 11, 2013 11:20 |  #6

I'm not sure why you'd want to.

It's a pretty expensive video viewer. Any smart phone, tablet or PC makes a more convenient and less expensive video viewer with a larger screen.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

sponsored links

709 views & 0 likes for this thread
Video viewing possibilities on the 5D MK3??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.